OT: 119th Obsequious Banter Thread: April Foods Day

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

April Foods: Which food is/are among your favorite(s)? (Pick up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Whoa. Is generator near a window?
No. It's a Generac full house generator that was put in before we moved in, half the neighborhood got them. It was professionally installed so it really shouldn't be a problem.

We had our HVAC people come out and they did find that the fitting on our hot water heater was loose, so they tightened that, but they did say that if that was the problem it most likely would have been leaking carbon monoxide as well.

Not really sure what the issue is

Reactions: BernieParent

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Peacock bumping their monthly subscription price $2/month, for standard it's $5.99 to 7.99, or $20 if you buy the yearly subscription $59.99 to $79.99....$cumbags

• Wow
Reactions: Rebels57

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Wife sent me this while I was at work ...not what you want to see. Told her to grab the kid and get out of the house. We lost power with the storm that rolled through and the generator kicked on, and is still running, so that's a bit concerning.

View attachment 895546
Is that an air quality monitor built into a thermostat?

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Is that an air quality monitor built into a thermostat?
It is.

We had an emergency tech come out last night, guy was higher than the Empire State Building, but he went on and on about how much he hated the thermostat and how they just push out all the new technology without testing it. He had a point...he said that there's no way to tell when it took that air quality reading and that when he resets it, it takes 24 hours to calibrate, to get a new reading. He said you could go get a $6 carbon dioxide tester and get a real time reading.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
1000004371.jpg
1000004372.jpg

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
It is.

We had an emergency tech come out last night, guy was higher than the Empire State Building, but he went on and on about how much he hated the thermostat and how they just push out all the new technology without testing it. He had a point...he said that there's no way to tell when it took that air quality reading and that when he resets it, it takes 24 hours to calibrate, to get a new reading. He said you could go get a $6 carbon dioxide tester and get a real time reading.
Do you know what levels set off the alarm? What does 'high' constitute?

In my line of work I did a lot of VOC screening of soils/groundwater/vapor etc. Those field screening devices for VOCs are exceptionally difficult. They also tend to malfunction when there's a lot of moisture in the air -- And these are the $10K, top of the line type readers. Also - unless there is a specific bulb in the detector, you have no idea what specific compound is being detected. Some compounds have action levels of ~1ppm, and others have action levels as high as ~100,000ppm.

I'm not saying something wasn't wrong, I'm just saying air testing is not as simple as good vs bad.

Reactions: wankstifier

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Do you know what levels set off the alarm? What does 'high' constitute?

In my line of work I did a lot of VOC screening of soils/groundwater/vapor etc. Those field screening devices for VOCs are exceptionally difficult. They also tend to malfunction when there's a lot of moisture in the air -- And these are the $10K, top of the line type readers. Also - unless there is a specific bulb in the detector, you have no idea what specific compound is being detected. Some compounds have action levels of ~1ppm, and others have action levels as high as ~100,000ppm.

I'm not saying something wasn't wrong, I'm just saying air testing is not as simple as good vs bad.
I honestly have no clue. It didn't give any number readings and the crackhead that came out didn't give us any either. The only thing that I really know is that one of the pipes coming off the hot water heater was really loose and it is directly below a return, so he was thinking that could have been the issue. We reset the thermostat/reader and after it did its calibration, it went back to a normal level reading, so maybe it had to do with the hot water heater, but really unsure.

Reactions: VladDrag

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad