Salary Cap: 11 guys signed next year at $65.5M CAP - $16M left for 12 guys

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Cap should go up to 84ish, which will get us to at least 19.5M in space. We'll likely trade Johnsson, so 23M space for 14 players...

Sign Mikheyev 4x3.5M
Sign Ceci 4x4M
Sign Dermott 2x2M
Sign Engvall 2x0.8M
Sign Timashov 2x0.8M
Sign Guathier 2x1M
Sign a Back-up Goaltender for 1.25M
Bring up Liljegren (0.863)
Bring up Sandin (0.894)
Bring up Korshkov (0.925)

That leaves approximately 7M for:
1 Top 4 Dman
1 #7 Dman
1 #14 Forward or 1 #8 Dman

Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen
Mikheyev-Tavares-Marner
Moore-Kerfoot-Hyman
Engvall-Gauthier-Timashov
Petan

Rielly-Ceci
Dermott-???
Sandin-Liljegren

Andersen
Back-up.
The CAP going up is wishful thinking unless players decide to do it. The league has 3 or 4 years of catching up to existing CAP number as escalator raises were higher than growth for a few years which is why we had a high 15% hold back last year.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Did OP factor in the Cap raising a couple million in all his math?

The Cap will get a massive bump in the 2022 offseason. (new US TV deal) Remember all those 3-year bridge deals last off season by other teams?. Guess what year they all expire..... 2021-22. MMT deals are going to be absolute bargains. leafs should be big players in free agency and getting picks to send people to the island.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
we're golden.

78189252_10162602143685029_4701812380965797888_o.jpg

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Toronto 2020-21 - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Made this past off-season that kept Barrie, muzzin, Mango and Kapanen. It's already very out dated in terms of lines and pairings, but you get the point.

Honestly were sitting just fine. I have minimal concern for the cap

Edit: I like @diehardleafsfan9878 lineup a lot better. And he didn't even use a cap increase. Personally I'd alter his and sign Barrie instead of Demelo

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Clearly will be a lot of bargain bin depth signings and Marlies call ups.

Reasonable to project Sandin and Liljegren will be on the team. Korshkov potentially as well.

Timashov, Engvall, and Holl should be had for $1 mill or under.

Goat too but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s traded at the same time.

Dermott and Soup should tie up no more than $6 mill.

That leaves $5 mill or so to shore up the back up and the final d spot on the roster.

I'm betting we have players sign for league minimum rather than $100k more, so that they're the cheapest option in the system.

Look at this year Engvall might be demoted due to his 925k, compared to Timashov at 694k.

I could see those 12 come in at less than $16mm.

Less than $1mm
  1. Sandin
  2. Liljegren
  3. Lindgren
  4. Holl
  5. Korshkov
  6. Engvall
  7. Gauthier
  8. Agostino
  9. Timashov
  10. Spezza equivalent

Around 6 combined?
  1. Dermott
  2. Mikheyev
If a trade takes place, I'm guessing it will be to free up space for a defender.

Of course we have no idea where the Cap will head, up-down-no movement

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Did OP factor in the Cap raising a couple million in all his math?

The Cap will get a massive bump in the 2022 offseason. (new US TV deal) Remember all those 3-year bridge deals last off season by other teams?. Guess what year they all expire..... 2021-22. MMT deals are going to be absolute bargains. leafs should be big players in free agency and getting picks to send people to the island.
Please explain how the CAP goes up 2M next year? The players want to get the escrow holdback to ZERO. Unless owners and players can agree on some interim changes to CBA (which is possible) then the numbers don't work.
2022 I can't wait for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The great Gary promise maybe delivered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I am from Missouri I will believe it when I see it. There have many many excuses over the years.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
man Holl turning out to be a player has really changed the/my outlook on the dcorps going forward.

Rielly-Barrie
Dermott-Holl
Sandin-Liljegren

looks both really affordable and really good to me.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Cap should go up to 84ish, which will get us to at least 19.5M in space. We'll likely trade Johnsson, so 23M space for 14 players...

Sign Mikheyev 4x3.5M
Sign Ceci 4x4M
Sign Dermott 2x2M
Sign Engvall 2x0.8M
Sign Timashov 2x0.8M
Sign Guathier 2x1M
Sign a Back-up Goaltender for 1.25M
Bring up Liljegren (0.863)
Bring up Sandin (0.894)
Bring up Korshkov (0.925)

That leaves approximately 7M for:
1 Top 4 Dman
1 #7 Dman
1 #14 Forward or 1 #8 Dman

Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen
Mikheyev-Tavares-Marner
Moore-Kerfoot-Hyman
Engvall-Gauthier-Timashov
Petan

Rielly-Ceci
Dermott-???
Sandin-Liljegren

Andersen
Back-up.

Edit: I forgot Korshkov! He'd fit in there somewhere!

Read OP and panicked! That seemed like a tall order.

Read this post and feel much better. THANKS!!!

I think Dermott will def be top 4 next year. Love to see him tried on a line with Reilly early 2020.

Edit: Forgot about Holl. He is turning out to be a fairly decent dman and that was under Mike "The Bastard" Babcock who definitely stifled Holl. Can't wait to see what he can do under Keefe

forecheck

May 14, 2007
man Holl turning out to be a player has really changed the/my outlook on the dcorps going forward.

Rielly-Barrie
Dermott-Holl
Sandin-Liljegren

looks both really affordable and really good to me.

question:
Where do they get the money to sign Barrie moving forward - What kind of dough are you allocating towards him ? He is looking for over 8m on a long term ... Not sure where that money will come from ?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That assumes the players will agree to the existing formula in CBA which will cause the hold-back to back up to 15% base rate. The players have told Gary they don't want this. They want the holdback escrow % going down again. Who knows where it will go as too many moving parts. The expectation this year is around 10% and 12% is being taken every paycheck right now. It is a negotiated thing. There is ZERO chance the players will go back to a 15% escrow. Based on rates which happened this year likely a 9% escrow in reality next year before true-up and maybe $1M extra. Again the players are still not happy with the 12% coming off this year. But who knows where this goes.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That assumes the players will agree to the existing formula in CBA which will cause the hold-back to back up to 15% base rate. The players have told Gary they don't want this. They want the holdback escrow % going down again. Who knows where it will go as too many moving parts. The expectation this year is around 10% and 12% is being taken every paycheck right now. It is a negotiated thing. There is ZERO chance the players will go back to a 15% escrow. Based on rates which happened this year likely a 9% escrow in reality next year before true-up and maybe $1M extra. Again the players are still not happy with the 12% coming off this year. But who knows where this goes.

It assumes everything the board of governors are assuming.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Last year they assumed the same things. And the players did not agree to the 15% being taken from their cheques. It is a PR move only from Gary same as last year.
From what I have heard last year the players asked for the ZERO escrow scenario calculation from the owners and the CAP decrease was too much for everyone to admit.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The cap is always a great subject! I’m actually comfortable with the salary structure of the team in general. Would have liked Marner and Auston for more term but willy’s contract looks better by the projection of his production and his quality of play. ( especially under keefe).

Tavares,Matthews are as high a quality 1-2 center punch as any in the league and Willy, Marner are equally as much quality on the right wing as any in the league.

Johnsson,Kapanen,Kerfoot,Korshkov,Mikheyev Moore,Engvall,Marchment

Rielly,Dermott,Holl,Liljegren,Sandin and a six/seven seems probable.

So many options on the Marlies that i am not concerned when i consider the quality of the players we already have signed. Much more comfortable also because Keefe is the coach to keep developing players that are young and coming in to the team. I am not concerned he will destroy our prospects confidence at any time in the process. I never though that our old coach was good for confidence of our players to the degree I believe in Keefe.

Fluidity is a expected result beyond the core players in our lineup.

Core pieces going forward:

Frederik Andersen —Goal

Matthews
Tavares
Nylander
Marner
Johnsson
Kapanen

Rielly
Dermott
Sandin
Liljegren

Thats a solid 11 core players off the top of my head. Then Dubas needs to have ingenuity in filling in the rest as we go. The fringes as Dubas says.

I will say this with regard to trading. I would move Kerfoot before i would move Johnsson or Kapanen. I actually wouldn’t flinch if Dubas moved Kerfoot in the summer and used that money to sign Mikheyev. Thats a personal preference on money use and asset retention for example.

Fully acceptable for any poster to expect trades.

Reactions: kb and Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad