OT: 105th Obsequious Banter Thread: Penny for Your Thoughts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Thanks everyone. Turns out it's pretty bad but could have been worse. Seems like the contractors who are working in the master br left one of those hand held work lights plugged in, and somehow there was a short in the cord and that started a fire. They had moved all the furniture to the middle of the room with the bed in the middle and that light probably set the mattress on fire. There's a lot of smoke and water damage but of my personal possessions I think it might only be the bed and a bunch of my clothes that were on the bed that are a loss. Of course the contractors had installed nice new doors and molding in there and that will probably all need to be replaced. The firefighters had to break the two windows in the BR to clear the smoke out so there is broken glass all over the back deck (not good for dogs). Also they had to break through the ceiling to get to the attic.

So lots of new floors and ceilings will need to be installed because of the water damage, water leaked all the way down to the basement and shorted out the circuit down there so no lights and my Verizon router is dead.

Dogs are at my sister's house, I'm at a coffee shop in beautiful downtown Croton-on-Hudson, and life kind of sucks.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Thanks everyone. Turns out it's pretty bad but could have been worse. Seems like the contractors who are working in the master br left one of those hand held work lights plugged in, and somehow there was a short in the cord and that started a fire. They had moved all the furniture to the middle of the room with the bed in the middle and that light probably set the mattress on fire. There's a lot of smoke and water damage but of my personal possessions I think it might only be the bed and a bunch of my clothes that were on the bed that are a loss. Of course the contractors had installed nice new doors and molding in there and that will probably all need to be replaced. The firefighters had to break the two windows in the BR to clear the smoke out so there is broken glass all over the back deck (not good for dogs). Also they had to break through the ceiling to get to the attic.

So lots of new floors and ceilings will need to be installed because of the water damage, water leaked all the way down to the basement and shorted out the circuit down there so no lights and my Verizon router is dead.

Dogs are at my sister's house, I'm at a coffee shop in beautiful downtown Croton-on-Hudson, and life kind of sucks.

Smoke damage?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Smoke damage?
Discoloration? The new doors they put on the closet are blackened. I don't think they were actually burned by flames, I think the fire was confined to the bed. But it clearly got very hot in there (the bedroom door was closed) because the ceiling fan, thermostat, and air conditioner controls (window type unit) melted.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
What if that makes it worse?

I hope the bone tree isn't angry because I haven't continued the polls.
The only wrong choice is not making a choice. Either commit to a change or commit to staying a course.

Discoloration? The new doors they put on the closet are blackened. I don't think they were actually burned by flames, I think the fire was confined to the bed. But it clearly got very hot in there (the bedroom door was closed) because the ceiling fan, thermostat, and air conditioner controls (window type unit) melted.
For a legit fire this may still be a best case scenario

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I assume they plan on stripping and rebuilding the entire room, including electrical and any adjacent plumbing I hope.

Might also be a good idea to clean vents?

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017

Good luck Jack

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018

Well those contractors should get in trouble

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Glad you and the dogs are okay, Jack. I hope the repairs go as quickly as smoothly as possible. You’ve only been in the new house in NY for a few months right? Ugh.

Schwarbomb

Bob Murray Approved Poster
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona

Look into getting a lawyer, now.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh

Glad you're ok..could have been worse

On a side note...this site sucks on a phone now

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I truly appreciate it. I am sad that my Nana is gone, but I'm more happy that I was lucky enough to know her for 32 years. She was a special lady. She was 84, and went camping this year, on a cot, in a tent, at a state park which requires a 45 minute drive on a gravel road to reach.

Having dealt with a house fire myself, I'm going to echo the Defective one and say this is basically a best case scenario. Your life is going to be a lot more interesting than usual for the next few months, but the important thing is that you and the animals are safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad