10 years. Time is up Shanahan.

maskingagent

Oct 18, 2016
I have never bought this narrative. It doesn't make any sense.

Nothing would be more profitable than post season success. If the Leafs won the cup ticket prices go up , luxury box prices go up, more jersey sales, more amazon specials , more games in the ACC, more revenue all around.

Greedy corporations don't want less money, they want more money. The blame here is on people making hockey operation decisions.
that's the oddity about MLSE, they are content to have regular season success. If they want post season success they would need to sell the team to single owner but Rogers and Bell won't , why ? Because they like how much money the current setup (Leafs, Raptors, Argo's etc , etc) is making them. Look at all the last Cup winners in the last 20 years, all single person owners, not this two corporation board setup with a president. Rogers and Bell board can't agree on many issues even down to what to do with players. You just can't have this setup if you want to win in today's NHL

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
that's the oddity about MLSE, they are content to have regular season success. If they want post season success they would need to sell the team to single owner but Rogers and Bell won't , why ? Because they like how much money the current setup (Leafs, Raptors, Argo's etc , etc) is making them. Look at all the last Cup winners in the last 20 years, all single person owners, not this two corporation board setup with a president. Rogers and Bell board can't agree on many issues even down to what to do with players. You just can't have this setup if you want to win in today's NHL
:laugh: You're joking, right?

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I don't know where you got this narrative from. It's claiming to have inside knowledge Board of directors dynamics. It just doesn't fly in the face of common sense.

Post season success would be exponentially more profitable and they are already spending way more on development, coaching, scouting, players than literally everyone.

All to be satisfied with a decent regular season? I don't buy it. It's some vestigial conspiracy theory carried down from the Ballard years when it absolutely was true.

No I'm sorry but the explanation if far more boring: the organization has made poor player, management & coaching choices which haven't planned out.

Reactions: ACC1224

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
:laugh: You're joking, right?
The one owner is better argument made a lot more sense in the pre-cap era, when an owner like Mike Illitch could spent a f***ton of money to buy a Cup and corporate ownership not wanting to go too high was a liability, but not so much anymore. Having corporate ownership hasn't stopped the Leafs from spending to the cap. And they spend way way more money on behind-the-scenes stuff than pretty much every other team in the league.

Reactions: ACC1224

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
No I'm sorry but the explanation if far more boring: the organization has made poor player, management & coaching choices which haven't planned out.
This thread should really be ended with this. It is succinct and accurate.

Also, Shanahan won't be going anywhere after this year. The team will have enough success to justify keeping him in place.

Reactions: Kazparov

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't know where you got this narrative from. It's claiming to have inside knowledge Board of directors dynamics. It just doesn't fly in the face of common sense.

Post season success would be exponentially more profitable and they are already spending way more on development, coaching, scouting, players than literally everyone.

All to be satisfied with a decent regular season? I don't buy it. It's some vestigial conspiracy theory carried down from the Ballard years when it absolutely was true.

Many have confused incompetence with indifference. Anyone who thinks they don’t want to win has never bought a playoff ticket

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Made the playoffs last 8 straight years, who’s his replacement? Or do we worry about that after the fact? Lol

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Shanny is not going anywhere.

This is the most successful the leafs have ever been since 67.

the mistake he made was not firing Dubas sooner
So he made a detrimental mistake but it’s ok because the situation fixed itself? By the way he was fully ready to re-sign Dubas last summer.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Getting out of the 1st round once in 8 years with this core is success to you?

Can you give me their success through the regular season aince Shanahan turned this team around.

It is absolutely stupid to think the President would get fired. Who is gonna fire Shanahan? Keith Pelley?
And replace him with whom?

Keefe will get fired.

I it would be absolutely moronic
To fire Shanahan and keep the GM and coach.

Are people really expecting Keith Pelley to Fire Shanahan and find a New President then GM and Then Coach????

blue stick

Jan 28, 2019
Fans complaining about these modern Leafs teams probably never had to suffer through the Harold Ballard decades of ownership. Hell, even after the old buzzard died the Leafs governorship brought in Doug Gilmour and Dave Andreychuk - who were near 30 years old - to finally achieve a little bit more success, but they too never won a damn thing.

This franchise is cursed.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Fans complaining about these modern Leafs teams probably never had to suffer through the Harold Ballard decades of ownership. Hell, even after the old buzzard died the Leafs governorship brought in Doug Gilmour and Dave Andreychuk - who were near 30 years old - to finally achieve a little bit more success, but they too never won a damn thing.

This franchise is cursed.

Atleast they got to a conference finals

Reactions: Anthrax442

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Can you give me their success through the regular season aince Shanahan turned this team around.

It is absolutely stupid to think the President would get fired. Who is gonna fire Shanahan? Keith Pelley?

Keefe will get fired.

Are people really expecting Keith Pelley to Fire Shanahan and find a New President then GM and Then Coach????

Stop. Stop right there. Don't you dare lecture ONE goddamn person on this board about the regular season BECAUSE IT'S LITTLE MORE THAN AN 82 GAME QUALIFICATION TOURNAMENT FOR THE REAL, ACTUAL SEASON THAT TRULY MATTERS.

Anyone here play hockey growing up? Yeah? Did you dream of winning the President's Trophy? No, you dreamed of winning the Stanley Cup, a trophy the Leafs haven't won since BEFORE THE GODDAMN MOON LANDING.

This isn't Arizona/Utah, or Buffalo, or Columbus, or some other mediocre and/or new franchise. This is the Toronto Maple Leafs. No team that generates this kind of revenue should be this embarrassing.

We're Canada's Dallas Cowboys, except the Cowboys have actually won multiple Super Bowls in my lifetime. So we're worse. We are worse than the Dallas Cowboys. Awesome. BUT WE ARE GREAT IN THE REGULAR SEASON RIGHT GUYS?

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Stop. Stop right there. Don't you dare lecture ONE goddamn person on this board about the regular season BECAUSE IT'S LITTLE MORE THAN AN 82 GAME QUALIFICATION TOURNAMENT FOR THE REAL, ACTUAL SEASON THAT TRULY MATTERS.

Anyone here play hockey growing up? Yeah? Did you dream of winning the President's Trophy? No, you dreamed of winning the Stanley Cup, a trophy the Leafs haven't won since BEFORE THE GODDAMN MOON LANDING.

This isn't Arizona/Utah, or Buffalo, or Columbus, or some other mediocre and/or new franchise. This is the Toronto Maple Leafs. No team that generates this kind of revenue should be this embarrassing.

We're Canada's Dallas Cowboys, except the Cowboys have actually won multiple Super Bowls in my lifetime. So we're worse. We are worse than the Dallas Cowboys. Awesome. BUT WE ARE GREAT IN THE REGULAR SEASON RIGHT GUYS?

WOW I really love the reading comprehension on Hockey boards.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
WOW I really love the reading comprehension on Hockey boards.
That’s funny. Because no one has said to fire shanahan and keep Keefe. His response to you made more sense than your response to the guy before that.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
that's the oddity about MLSE, they are content to have regular season success. If they want post season success they would need to sell the team to single owner but Rogers and Bell won't , why ? Because they like how much money the current setup (Leafs, Raptors, Argo's etc , etc) is making them.

This is one the dumbest, most naive arguments around. They would make more money by winning the Cup - a lot more money.

Look at all the last Cup winners in the last 20 years, all single person owners, not this two corporation board setup with a president.

You are arguing causation without proof.

Rogers and Bell board can't agree on many issues even down to what to do with players.

You have no idea what they do or do not agree on.

You just can't have this setup if you want to win in today's NHL

It worked in MLS and the NBA.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Pelley himself? Tre? My dog?

Tre hasn't even been here a full year yet, why fire him?

You act like there is nobody else who could be team President. Tre can stay, and he can hire the coach.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
So hard to believe this guy hasn't been fired yet.

Keeping Shanahan around would just be a slap in the face to the fans. Nothing says "we don't give a crap what you think" more than staying the course with this loser. Turfing him would be the easiest way of showing fans they actually care about contending.

Not just about putting on a good show.

Anyone who thinks Rogers and Bell care about the Leafs going far in the playoffs because it will make them more money is wrong. They're not looking at the bigger picture. Bell generates a whopping $25 BILLION in revenue every year with Rogers coming in at another whopping $15 BILLION.

The Leafs generate a piddly $281 million by comparison.

Even if the Leafs were a dynasty, winning every year for the next decade, they STILL wouldn't earn enough to make a difference in their parent company's revenues. To them it's just a minor investment that raises brand awareness and provides content for their larger media product offering. That's why Rogers and Bell don't care if the team wins or loses.

Keeping Shanahan around is proof enough of that.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Do other fanbases whine about their team president.

The problem isn't even the 'Core Four' it's that this team hasn't played responsible defense with great goaltending for a sustainable amount of time in the entire cap era.

What happens every playoff, other teams play 'low event' hockey or do everything to grind the game to a halt. The Leafs started to play that way for 3 games at the end of this series. They finally got a taste of what it takes to win with on paper a garbage blueline and net.

The most Leafy Leafs thing about this summer is that the Leafs finally figured out how to play the right way but because media and fans are so over it they just want change for the sake of change and this is wear MSLE does the same thing they always do, bend to public opinion and try to over correct.

Fire Shanny, it's just going to give some other idiot a long leash to 'evaluate' and do nothing productive but it's a new face, Leafs Nation can put their blind faith in a new avatar and I'm sure he'll (or she, you want Wickenhieser promoted, Bell/Rogers would do something like that) have a clever sound bite and for a month or two that'll be enough to calm things.

Here is a thought, you have these people in a position where they are accountable, what's firing going to do, are you gunna like the suit they replace him with?

Shanahan isn't the issue, it's the distraction. Play a game that you can win with long term, defense first and use your big three as game breakers.

And before people reply to me with a bunch of stuff about Mitch we already know. You talk a big game about shipping him off every May but you all simp to his 100 point pace in from October on. How long did it take Willy to flip his narrative in a contract year. Mitch is no different.

This circus bores me.

• Haha
Reactions: ClarkSittler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad