OT: 10,000 Pt XL - Spring is (no longer) in the Air

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
I just started playing Pokemon again after years off and I do not recognize a single one so far in the game. There's literally a trashbag one now.

Fresnel

Sep 24, 2015
I don't care what they say.... there are only 151ish pokemon.... the rest are a lie

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don't care what they say.... there are only 151ish pokemon.... the rest are a lie

There are some cool ones in the newer batches. And honestly there are some pretty garbagey ones in the original 151.

The games sucked a bit in the middle few generations, but X/Y was fun. the last pair, a remake of GBA's Ruby & Sapphire aren't bad, but have some of the same problems that their originators had.

and Mafoofoo, if you're playing on a handheld (and not an emulator), stop by the Pokemon thread in the Geek Emporium. There's a healthy community of fans who can help you out with anything and potentially get you anything in trade. For the 3DS games at least, because Nintendo shut off wifi connectivity for older regular DS games in the last couple years.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The problem with pokemon for me is that I dislike grinding.

The newer games have toned that down significantly. You'll never have and RPG with this kind of traditional xp model without ANY grinding at all, but between the xp share and a little bit of a gentler level curve throughout the game you'll probably only have to stop and grind for a short period every couple of gyms instead of hours and hours before each successive new challenge.

Just for reference, I went back and played one of the older DS remakes of Gold/Silver and it took me about 50 hours to clear the game with a lot of grinding to stay up to snuff. In Y I probably finished in about half that time, and admittedly much of that was spent exploring and catching new things.

X and Y are good re-entry points for the series because they were designed as both celebrations of the franchise's long life to this point and as opportunities to get new players involved. They're designed to appeal to people who aren't hardcore pokemon fans who have played the game since they got Red or Blue on an original Game Boy (like me)

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
There are some cool ones in the newer batches. And honestly there are some pretty garbagey ones in the original 151.

The games sucked a bit in the middle few generations, but X/Y was fun. the last pair, a remake of GBA's Ruby & Sapphire aren't bad, but have some of the same problems that their originators had.

and Mafoofoo, if you're playing on a handheld (and not an emulator), stop by the Pokemon thread in the Geek Emporium. There's a healthy community of fans who can help you out with anything and potentially get you anything in trade. For the 3DS games at least, because Nintendo shut off wifi connectivity for older regular DS games in the last couple years.

Sweet thanks for the heads up and yeah I'm playing on the n3ds. :D

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005
I guess you could wear some sort of lead lined sleep mask. That might lead to issues with the constant lead exposure though.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
important question:

if you had x-ray vision, what would happen if you closed your eyes?

General comic logic is that if your body ends up with a superpower, it also ends up with the requisite other things to keep that power in check. Which in the case of x-ray vision would mean that your eyelids would block the x-rays. Same way that Cyclops doesn't blow his eyelids off when he closes his eyes, or super-speed characters end up with some sort of power required to fend off inertia and g-forces so they don't crush themselves into chunky salsa when they accelerate to mach 5 from a standstill.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
General comic logic is that if your body ends up with a superpower, it also ends up with the requisite other things to keep that power in check. Which in the case of x-ray vision would mean that your eyelids would block the x-rays. Same way that Cyclops doesn't blow his eyelids off when he closes his eyes, or super-speed characters end up with some sort of power required to fend off inertia and g-forces so they don't crush themselves into chunky salsa when they accelerate to mach 5 from a standstill.

Although 90s Wally West didn't have the speedforce so he was kinda subjected to the laws of physics. He had to eat a ton of food so his metabolism didn't demolish his body and he couldn't run in normal clothes either I think.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

Of course, that doesn't apply to interactions between supers and normal humans.

Larry Niven (the author that wrote Ringworld, among others) write an excellent article on this, specifically about the relationship between Superman and Lois Lane called "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex." It's both well thought out and incredibly hysterical.

Link: http://www.rawbw.com/~svw/superman.html

Disclaimer and warning: Adult language/topics discussed in there, which is why I am not just quoting it... :laugh:)

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Any fantasy readers here?

After binging on Brent weeks, Brandon Sanderson etc I found chronicles of the unhewn throne and it's been great. Always good to get away after a Sharks loss.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

After binging on Brent weeks, Brandon Sanderson etc I found chronicles of the unhewn throne and it's been great. Always good to get away after a Sharks loss.

I've been working my way through Patrick Rothfuss but it's been a while. My sister's recommended Locke Lamora to me to read afterwards.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
The problem with pokemon for me is that I dislike grinding.

mexN4fX.jpg

I own like literally every Forgotten Realms book ever written :laugh:

Also,

I know that it's five months away, but, that said: Awesome Halloween costume idea:

Go to Wal-Mart or where ever, and buy a cheap t-shirt you won't mind destroying. Buy fake blood, acquire two tablets.

Cut a really rough looking, torn up hole on both the front and the back of the shirt, add blood to the edges of both holes. Duct tape one tablet to your chest//stomach, and the other to your back, in the same spot. Put on the shirt so that the holes line up with the tablets' screens. Turn them on and start a face time chat between the two of them.

Bing, bang, boom, you can now look through yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad