Management 1 PM May 22nd - Charlie, Cam, Don and Monty address media - NESN

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Wednesday, May 22 at 1 p.m. (TD Garden, Boston, MA)
- End of season press conference with CEO and Alternate Governor Charlie Jacobs, President Cam Neely, General Manager Don Sweeney and Head Coach Jim Montgomery

- Media should enter through back security and proceed to Legends Club on Level 3

- Light refreshments will be provided to the media​

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this already but Sweeney did say that the plan is to make Marchand a lifelong Bruin, but an extension will probably come after they deal with some other signings first.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Sorry but this post is outrageous. Its one thing to be unhappy with the past decade but how spoiled must you be to think these are the dark days? Go ahead and get a Sharks fan's perspective on if the last 20 years with no cups but always competing were darker days than watching a terrible on ice product they have now hoping someday they can compete again.
Quick, Exile him to Buffalo!

Reactions: NDiesel

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
'Desire' was probably the wrong word to use in this context. I've written about this more in a post up-thread, and it's been discussed plenty before, so I won't rehash too much. But for me it's more about the parameters within which the organization operates, and their risk profile. There are certain things they won't do, or at least are unwilling to, certain things they prioritize which broadly center around stability and long-term competitiveness.

There are exceptions - last year Sweeney absolutely went all-in, as I've already said elsewhere, and good on him for that. But that was uncharacteristic. Had he done the same in 2019 the Cup might well have been won. For the most part there are norms and levels of risk that management generally tend to adhere to.

Which is not to say they're content merely to make playoffs. Of course not. Again, as I've already said, they want more, they want what we all want. But the ways they are willing to go about achieving that have limits. And end of the day, as far as I can tell, as long as the team's turning a profit to the desired level, the Jacobs are essentially happy.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with any of that. Any company has its methods of operating. Most of what the Bruins do is clearly quite effective. But it's open to comment and critique same as anyone else.

I get what you are saying.

I think the things you say they are unwilling to do are things that all good NHL franchises don't do. I think they went away from that when they traded way too much for an on-the-downside-of his- career Rick Nash in 2018.

In 2019 they added Charlie Coyle & Marcus Johansson in February and both were instrumental in getting the team to the finals. Adding even more was no guarantee they even get that far.

Seems to me Sweeney has been willing to go for it right from start. But you can only make the deals that are there to be made.

As for owners, most of them are happy to make a profit without a championship. But they also know they make more profit if they do win it all.

Thought the same thing, especially with the low shot count halfway through but 2-3 of those being grade A chances. Next game will show much more.

New York talk shows today saying the Rangers need to shoot more.

We know that's easier said than done.

Last edited:

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I get what you are saying.

I think the things you say they are unwilling to do are things that all good NHL franchises don't do. I think they went away from that when they traded way too much for an on-the-downside-of his- career Rick Nash in 2018.

In 2019 they added Charlie Coyle & Marcus Johansson in February and both were instrumental in getting the team to the finals. Adding even more was no guarantee they even get that far.

Seems to me Sweeney has been willing to go for it right from start. But you can only make the deals that are there to be made.

As for owners, most of them are happy to make a profit without a championship. But they also know they make more profit if they do win it all.

New York talk shows today saying the Rangers need to shoot more.

We know that's easier said than done.
Coyle and Johansson really had some chemistry I wonder why they have never tried to bring him back

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Good points. Florida is a playoff team. They kept the Rangers from going north and south last night. Toronto wasn't exactly chop liver. They had some talent also. Bruins did well with this team. A lack of finished held them back considerably. Couple of games they had grade A scoring chances that could of changed the last series in their favour.
But they would prefer to play hard ball with there leading playoff point getter . Than address this obvious problem???????????????? Interesting to say the least

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Point is, you’re saying they’re playing hardball. We don’t know that. We don’t have any idea where the two sides are, though we can be almost certain he’d get a bigger deal on the open market.
I did not say they are playing hardball. I will say signing forwards in the age bracket and with the skill set of DeBrusk should be a priority. At present I have as much trust in DeBrusk as I do in Bruin management( perhaps more ). When it comes to the statements each has made to the media

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I did not say they are playing hardball. I will say signing forwards in the age bracket and with the skill set of DeBrusk should be a priority. At present I have as much trust in DeBrusk as I do in Bruin management( perhaps more ). When it comes to the statements each has made to the media
I must have misunderstood.
610C59A0-8160-47F4-BC0A-FD05D64C4FCC.jpeg

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
'Desire' was probably the wrong word to use in this context. I've written about this more in a post up-thread, and it's been discussed plenty before, so I won't rehash too much. But for me it's more about the parameters within which the organization operates, and their risk profile. There are certain things they won't do, or at least are unwilling to, certain things they prioritize which broadly center around stability and long-term competitiveness.

There are exceptions - last year Sweeney absolutely went all-in, as I've already said elsewhere, and good on him for that. But that was uncharacteristic. Had he done the same in 2019 the Cup might well have been won. For the most part there are norms and levels of risk that management generally tend to adhere to.

Which is not to say they're content merely to make playoffs. Of course not. Again, as I've already said, they want more, they want what we all want. But the ways they are willing to go about achieving that have limits. And end of the day, as far as I can tell, as long as the team's turning a profit to the desired level, the Jacobs are essentially happy.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with any of that. Any company has its methods of operating. Most of what the Bruins do is clearly quite effective. But it's open to comment and critique same as anyone else.
I'm curious though in terms of what you're suggesting they could do differently? Seems to me they trade for as much as they can every deadline and in many ways that is what has cost them long term but you seem to be saying they should have done more at the deadlines so what? You'd have traded away all the draft picks? Poitras? Lohrei? What else could they have done?

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
For DeBrusk I do wonder if they do not hold his earlier trade me request against him. That is water that may not be under the bridge and it might have left a sour taste with them. Also, I suspect he is not giving them even a tiny hometown discount so for a streaky player whose loyalty (in their minds) can't be trusted 100% I can't fault them if their offer is on the lower side and hence there's an impasse.
If they bring in guys like Lindholm and Zadorov etc. there's no need to worry about letting DeBrusk go. What the roster looks like entering next season is all that matters.

Reactions: Gordoff

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
So, you were expecting them to tell you all that was going on even though nothing is yet happening?

You want them to tell you what players are staying/ getting signed even though the player doesn't yet know?

It was pretty much as I expected.

When does next years schedule come out? :sarcasm:
I've transitioned to more of a 'when does next years playoff schedule come out?' and tuning in then unless there is an actual 1st line C in town to watch.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Seems reasonable

I hate that it is but I think the regular season success paired with the shortcomings in recent history has made it something that plays in the background while you do other things rather than planning for it.

You know every player and what they bring and what the game is going to look like.

A top line C ignites a new look or reason to watch. When the turnover is 3rd 4th liners it's essentially the same team that didn't do it when it mattered in the past.

Remember the feeling when Pastrnak emerged?
Savard and Chara?
Seguin?
Lucic and Horton?

It's been a long time since something new/exciting and reason for optimism. I loved the Lindholm during the record-setting year on D but that didn't last.

I was hoping the Bergeron exit (as tragic as it was) would usher in a new 1st line C. Maybe this summer. Doubtful but I'd watch talent or a new reason to think this doesn't end the same way next year.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
The reporters won't ask tough questions. The management will give boiler plate answers to the questions that are asked.

Thirty to forty-five minutes of bullshit. 💩
Sorry we can't mend our fences, I am willing, I was out of line, sorry.

I agree with this post of your BMG, you are 100% correct IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad