Around the NHL 2023 - Playoffs 2024

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Wow. What a turn here late in the 2nd. I feel pretty bad for those fans having to sit there and watch it. Hoping for a turnaround but knowing it’s pretty unlikely. And also realizing going down 3-0 in this series pretty much seals it. Brutal way to go.
I don't feel bad for them at all. I was serious when I said after that last game I hope Florida sweeps them. Even worse that the NHL was unwilling to do what it should have simply because its the SCF. DoPS literally let guys get away without suspensions just because it was the SCF.

Go Panthers, put 15 on them, make those Canadian fans cry.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yeah, nothing too surprising in these Finals. About what I expected. Maybe Bob has been better than I thought.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Won more rounds than we have over the past 7 post seasons combined.
So impressive for an Oiler team that picked up ten top-10 picks in the span of eleven years, six of those being top-4 including four #1 overalls with a generational talent in that mix.

The Oilers should have a dominant team with all of that draft capital spent in such short span. What they have is an incredible top 6 and PP1 with glaring holes on the back end and between the pipes. The last three seasons are the first time they've strung together three years of winning at least one playoff round since 89-90 thru 91-92 ... this is the first time they've made the Cup finals in 18 years ... and barring a miracle comeback they won't have a Cup since 89-90.

Last edited:
Reactions: hido

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
So impressive for an Oiler team that picked up ten top-10 picks in the span of eleven years, six of those being top-4 including four #1 overalls with a generational talent in that mix.

The Oilers should have a dominant team with all of that draft capital spent in such short span. What they have is an incredible top 6 and PP1 with glaring holes on the back end and between the pipes. The last three seasons are the first time they've strung together three years of winning at least one playoff round since 89-90 thru 91-92 ... this is the first time they've made the Cup finals in 18 years ... and barring a miracle comeback they won't have a Cup since 89-90.
They're not dominant due to some serial mismanagement of assets and inability to get anything out of draft picks outside of the 1st round.

They've also got more series wins in the last 3 post seasons (including this one) than we do going back to 2011. We only have 7 series wins and it was all between 2010/11 and 2017/18. We haven't even won 3 games in a single series since that time period. Not even on the cusp of moving to the next round.

Oilers model of tear down and do dumb things to perpetually get high 1st round picks shouldnt be emulated especially by a team that doesn't have unlimited funding but it isnt like what we have been doing has been effective at anything other than treading water

Reactions: LCPreds

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
They're not dominant due to some serial mismanagement of assets and inability to get anything out of draft picks outside of the 1st round.

They've also got more series wins in the last 3 post seasons (including this one) than we do going back to 2011. We only have 7 series wins and it was all between 2010/11 and 2017/18. We haven't even won 3 games in a single series since that time period. Not even on the cusp of moving to the next round.

Oilers model of tear down and do dumb things to perpetually get high 1st round picks shouldnt be emulated especially by a team that doesn't have unlimited funding but it isnt like what we have been doing has been effective at anything other than treading water
Thing is until the Hines hire, which I think was the mistake that kept things going down, Poile actually made the moves to fill holes that you want him to make.

Getting Joey was the chance he had to take, and it dang near worked. Then he went and got Turris, which we all cheered as a good move to fill 2C at the time. Granlund for Fiala I didn't personally like, but when you look at the type of player he thought he was getting, it was basically the spot you wanted Fiala to eventually fill anyways. Subban for Weber, seemed iffy at the time but it turned out to be a good decision.

The problem is Joey gets hurt in that playoff rub and with him being him we never see it again. Turris gets hurt, Lavi hates him and that falls apart. Granlund doesn't adjust for various reasons until Hines comes in, and then Subbans wheels fall off. Ellis turns out ended up busted and we luckily got out of that.

I think it's one reason he just finally said the heck with it. On paper if you go back and look at things there should have been no real reason things shouldn't have kept going.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Thing is until the Hines hire, which I think was the mistake that kept things going down, Poile actually made the moves to fill holes that you want him to make.

Getting Joey was the chance he had to take, and it dang near worked. Then he went and got Turris, which we all cheered as a good move to fill 2C at the time. Granlund for Fiala I didn't personally like, but when you look at the type of player he thought he was getting, it was basically the spot you wanted Fiala to eventually fill anyways. Subban for Weber, seemed iffy at the time but it turned out to be a good decision.

The problem is Joey gets hurt in that playoff rub and with him being him we never see it again. Turris gets hurt, Lavi hates him and that falls apart. Granlund doesn't adjust for various reasons until Hines comes in, and then Subbans wheels fall off. Ellis turns out ended up busted and we luckily got out of that.

I think it's one reason he just finally said the heck with it. On paper if you go back and look at things there should have been no real reason things shouldn't have kept going.
I understand his choices and some of them helped get us to those cup finals. Unfortunately, many of those moves we now have nothing to show for them while the player we traded away in the process is still doin good things in the NHL (Girard, Fiala, Jones). Wouldnt need Johansen, Turris, or Granlund if we could figure out how to draft a center. Legwand, Sissons, Novak, and Wilson (though the last two are more wing than center) are the top of our drafting.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
We really did have some unfortunate luck with injuries Ellis, Arvidsson, Subban, Johansen and Turris all majorly slowed down by injuries before they even hit 30. It's actually pretty remarkable that Poile managed to get positive values out of several of those guys.

With hindsight I think Poile's biggest misstep was trying to hold on when things started to fall apart during the 18-19 season. Shouldn't have traded Fiala for Granlund and signed Duchene and gone for a bit of a mini retool there. Even at the time it was clear we were trending downwards and while there was decent rationale for those moves neither of those guys were the right fit for the team.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
We really did have some unfortunate luck with injuries Ellis, Arvidsson, Subban, Johansen and Turris all majorly slowed down by injuries before they even hit 30. It's actually pretty remarkable that Poile managed to get positive values out of several of those guys.

With hindsight I think Poile's biggest misstep was trying to hold on when things started to fall apart during the 18-19 season. Shouldn't have traded Fiala for Granlund and signed Duchene and gone for a bit of a mini retool there. Even at the time it was clear we were trending downwards and while there was decent rationale for those moves neither of those guys were the right fit for the team.
Yeah the mistake was when he knew he needed to make some adjustments but let the players convince him to stick with what we had.

Reactions: PredsV82

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I understand his choices and some of them helped get us to those cup finals. Unfortunately, many of those moves we now have nothing to show for them while the player we traded away in the process is still doin good things in the NHL (Girard, Fiala, Jones). Wouldnt need Johansen, Turris, or Granlund if we could figure out how to draft a center. Legwand, Sissons, Novak, and Wilson (though the last two are more wing than center) are the top of our drafting.
I'd argue we didn't really lose much from any of those guys though. Girard can't stay healthy, Fiala while putting up points, still is a turnover machine, and Jones has been solid but not what he was expected to be. Jones sure wouldn't have been our #1 and honestly he hasn't even been as good as Ekholm.

Reactions: weeze

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

Hmmm ... so the Oilers have put together a little run of post season success that hasn't led to a Cup over the past couple seasons while the Preds did the same in 2015-18 ... following four series wins for them from 1998-99 thru 2020-21 (missing the playoffs 14 times in that span). It's six of one, half dozen of the other with the Preds trying to advance built on later draft picks, the Oilers hoping their generational McJesus and Drai can get them there.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Even I didn't think PLD would be THAT bad for LA. Amazed they got out of that contract relatively unscathed. They may still have a big problem in goal, but at least they don't realize it yet.

Washington has a bit of a rebuild ahead of them, so many old guys, you'd think after buying CapFriendly they would have known better than to take the PLD contract as the starting point to their rebuild, but I guess not... :dunno:

Reactions: herzausstein

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Caps trying to keep Ovie happy. Kings look like total dumbasses with all they gave up to get him and only getting back a goalie they used to have and gave away for nothing to make room for another goalie that have since had to pay to dump to Philly

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Glad the NHL teams decided to go ahead and start making moves today despite the usual hesitancy to do so while the Finals are still going. It's the NHL's own fault for letting the schedule run this late. Game #6 isn't until Friday, the Draft is 1 week after that, and Free Agency just a few days later. Teams can't be expected to wait that long twiddling their thumbs.
:handclap:

Reactions: PredsV82

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad