Post-Game Talk: 1 Down, 3 To Go

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It was the Game 6 win against Dallas for me, hard to top clinching a SCF berth on home ice after an 18 year hiatus.
When they beat the Kings to clinch their first playoff spot in 11 years in '16-'17 actually had me welling up a bit because of a culmination of the heartache of the Decade of Darkness coming to an end kind of giving me a rush of feels in the moment but, yeah, 2 nights ago is up there even if it only merely kept them alive for another game.
I have to give you massive props Cuppy. As an NYC resident who became an Oiler fan only to suffer through the franchises darkest days I find it highly admirable that you stuck it out. Old goats like me know the thrill of not only watching a truly great player for our team but also in seeing that team hoist the cup 5 times. I sincerely hope that you and others here who were not around for those days get to feel that excitement sooner than later.

Last edited:

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
No, not precisely, but I've learned that trying to explain things to you is like reading "War and Peace" to your dog.

You're not sure why you're doing it when you know he's just gonna stare blankly and eventually start licking his balls instead.
well, maybe it’s because your logic is quite stupid and it’s like listening to your dog trying to explain the theory of relatively. You’re not sure why you are listening to him bark when eventually you know he is just going to go smell his own pile of shit.

Feel free to put me on ignore and not reply. I don’t think you add anything of value or worth so you are now on mine.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
well, maybe it’s because your logic is quite stupid and it’s like listening to your dog trying to explain the theory of relatively. You’re not sure why you are listening to him bark when eventually you know he is just going to go smell his own pile of shit.

Feel free to put me on ignore and not reply. I don’t think you add anything of value or worth so you are now on mine.
So sad I won't get to see any more quality rebuttals like this. Guess I'll go listen to my dog explain the theory of relatively.

Wait I don't have a dog. I'm allergic.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Those 2 “okay games” were both worse than league average goaltending.

Your perspective is skewed.
Christ, let it go, man.:facepalm: Campbell is the one who shit the bed, and is really the one who is supposed to be here. Skinner is what he is, and it's what we have to go forward with the rest of the playoffs.

You're making more friends all over the place I see.:laugh:

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I have to give you massive props Cuppy. As an NYC resident who became an Oiler fan only to suffer through the franchises darkest days I find it highly admirable that you stuck it out. Old goats like me know the thrill of not only watching a true great play for our team but also in seeing that team hoist the cup 5 times. I sincerely hope that you and others here who were not around for those days get to feel that excitement sooner than later.
Thank you my friend but, remember, we've all been through the bad times together and still stuck with the team through thick and thin. Oiler fans are the best, from New York to the Edmonton to anywhere in the world, we're loyal to the team almost to a fault and all deserve to see this version of the Oilers raise Lord Stanley hopefully next Monday, God Willing.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
The Oilers are coming back to Edmonton after game 5, might as well try their best to bring the panthers back with them. The 2 day break between games is probably a good thing for the team that's down since they know they can go full desperation all game and get an extra days rest.
I think the 2 day break favours the Panthers. Takes away our momentum.

If we win game 5 I think the 2 day break favours us as they will start overthinking things.

At the end of the day the two day break probably doesn't give any team any sort of real advantage.

Reactions: Stoneman89

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think the 2 day break favours the Panthers. Takes away our momentum.

If we win game 5 I think the 2 day break favours us as they will start overthinking things.

At the end of the day the two day break probably doesn't give any team any sort of real advantage.

Honestly think playoffs keep proving that momentum doesn't carry game to game. The Oilers just need to bring it again and play desperate. Gotta not be afraid to go hard at the net and get shots on Bobo too. The one momentum that can carry is Bobo is very streaky and he can have long bad runs. Let's help him out stringing one of those together.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I don't think the concept of momentum matters as much as pressure.

No matter what, even if the Oilers force a Game 6 or 7, I don't think any pressure will be on them because they weren't supposed to be there. If we lose we get credit for not going out easily and if we win it's amazing because nobody expected it. Conversely, especially if they lose Game 5, the Panthers are going to be gripping their sticks tight, while we can just play.

The Oilers and more importantly some key players on the Oilers have had issues in the past with pressure and I think that played a role in Game 1-3. That's all gone now.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023

Great idea.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
omg are we playing with “house money” right now?
Maybe we could tag some knowledgeable Vancouver fans to help explain how it works.

Maybe, while we're at it, they can also help us understand how upset we should be that Kane is out of the lineup.

Is it like missing Carson Soucy (monumental and game deciding) or Connor McDavid (barely even worth mentioning)?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
Dumbest argument I’ve read all day. If everything is based off of pay- we need to boot Nuge, Hyman, and Bouchard off the PP and play Nurse.
Who said it was all based off pay? I'm saying our roster isn't constructed like Florida's, we don't have a 10m goalie...know what your teams construction is and play to maximize it.

You can't fill your entire D core with league min players and cry about how Noone can defend. This team is a top heavy, decently defensive team. If we actually want to make an argument here skinner was signed as a backup and has out preferred his contract. Florida plays an aggressive game top to bottom, they can afford to play that way because they have one of the best goalies jb the league stopping any mistakes. Skinner has played well enough for us to win on most night, if you don't like it then go sign a goalie for 10 m and trade away drai to afford it

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Who said it was all based off pay? I'm saying our roster isn't constructed like Florida's, we don't have a 10m goalie...know what your teams construction is and play to maximize it.

You can't fill your entire D core with league min players and cry about how Noone can defend. This team is a top heavy, decently defensive team. If we actually want to make an argument here skinner was signed as a backup and has out preferred his contract. Florida plays an aggressive game top to bottom, they can afford to play that way because they have one of the best goalies jb the league stopping any mistakes. Skinner has played well enough for us to win on most night, if you don't like it then go sign a goalie for 10 m and trade away drai to afford it
I agree with you on team construction. All I am saying is pay has nothing to do with it. Just because a player makes 10M, it doesn't make them better than a player that makes 2M. Oilers need a goalie who is a .900 in the finals to win. It doesn't matter if that goalie makes 2M or 10M. There are plenty of goalies who make less than Bob and are better and plenty of goalies who make more than Stu who are worse.

If you are speaking of team structure, the Oilers play a zone D and have good shot suppression. The shots they do allow the goalie needs to stop, at minimum- 9/10.

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
Good take. Actually matches quite closely to The Athletic’s goalie expert Jesse Granger’s take on Skinner too:

“The save percentage hasn’t been good, the stats aren’t great. But you play for a team that is not good for goalie stats. The oilers play a style where they possess the puck a lot, and you don’t get a huge volume of shots, but then when they do give up a chance because they are so aggressive offensively it’s a really dangerous chance. So I’ll give him a bit of a break on his save percentage. I don’t think the oilers play like a team where any goalie can step in and play .920, I think it’s the opposite for him. If you get the best out of skinner you have a chance at the cup.“
Also note that most goals scored on Bobrovsky is when he is "exposed" such as a breakaway and or when the defense is not blocking shots. He's an excellent goalie but once the ice opened up....

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00