GDT: 1/22 Canes vs Flyers - Time Warp!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If anyone is the new larose, it would be Dwyer. Of course Dwyer is faster and better with the puck as well, but I have about the same expectations for him offensively as I did with larose.

You seem to be defending larose because he was unfairly clowned for being nonproductive in a top 6 role? I get that. I never hated larose, he gave the coaches no choice but to play him there as we lacked the talent and at least he hustled the way they wanted.

No reason to drag gerbe down in that. He's not a shiny new toy either. He has shown hustle and solid skill from day one. To me he's Earl Boykins. He's fun to watch, and you love the work ethic but you don't want your team to actually pin their hopes off of his production. He's a good complimentary player and realistically should be a third liner with occasionally stints on the second.

Larose was never gonna be a scorer, he belonged on the fourth line with his hustle and work ethic. He would've stayed a favorite of everyone's if that's all that was asked of him.

Implying that being comparable to LaRose is the equivalent of "dragging him down" is the issue. LaRose was one of the best "glue" guys this organization has had. He played the energy role effectively for years and when it was asked of him, he played the Top-6 role. Less effectively, of course, but well enough as a temporary solution.

Comparing another glue guy to LaRose is a compliment, not "dragging him down"

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Philly's second goal was a PP goal from a dumb Nash high stick

I didn't catch a solid replay, but didn't Voracek lift Nash's stick into his own head? I guess according to the rule it's a high stick, but I'd think that should get let go (if that did happen, I very well could have completely missed it).

Sharks fan here. That was an awesome goal. It was a carbon copy of Hertl's goal back on October which people here still talk about.

Good on you, Natan Gerbe

My homer response would be: same move, entirely different circumstances, Gerbe's therefore was better :)

In regards to the Gerbe and LaRose comparisons: they should start and stop at both being "energy" guys.

If anyone is the new larose, it would be Dwyer. Of course Dwyer is faster and better with the puck as well, but I have about the same expectations for him offensively as I did with larose.

:facepalm: My manlove for Dwyer aside, that's a worse comparison than LaRose and Gerbe

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com

You seem to be defending larose because he was unfairly clowned for being nonproductive in a top 6 role? I get that. I never hated larose, he gave the coaches no choice but to play him there as we lacked the talent and at least he hustled the way they wanted.

No reason to drag gerbe down in that. He's not a shiny new toy either. He has shown hustle and solid skill from day one. To me he's Earl Boykins. He's fun to watch, and you love the work ethic but you don't want your team to actually pin their hopes off of his production. He's a good complimentary player and realistically should be a third liner with occasionally stints on the second.

Larose was never gonna be a scorer, he belonged on the fourth line with his hustle and work ethic. He would've stayed a favorite of everyone's if that's all that was asked of him.

this is basically what we are all trying to say

in regards to gerbe's production in buffalo, you also have to keep in mind he was plagued by injuries there, the broken back being the most serious

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
If Gerbe was normal sized, I wonder if he'd still draw comparisons to Larose.

Dwyer makes more sense. The chemistry with Jordan shorthanded is there, but 5v5 it just doesn't equate. Hes a defensively capable bottom 6 guy with speed, energy, hustle, and hands of stone. Probably a good fit with Malhotra, but not Jordan.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Implying that being comparable to LaRose is the equivalent of "dragging him down" is the issue. LaRose was one of the best "glue" guys this organization has had. He played the energy role effectively for years and when it was asked of him, he played the Top-6 role. Less effectively, of course, but well enough as a temporary solution.

Comparing another glue guy to LaRose is a compliment, not "dragging him down"

gerbe is much better than larose in a top 6 role, and has the same hustle to play a bottom 6 role if needed

just saying they are not stylistically similar aside from both being smaller guys

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I'd like to see Lindholm be a little more selfish out there. He had an opportunity on either the 1st or 2nd PP where he was alone just outside the slot and instead of shooting or making a move towards the net, he pulled up and tried to force a pass to Skinner. It's like since Skinner is his bud, he wants to set him up on every play. He's looking more and more comfortable out there and you can see flashes of his skill, just needs to pull the trigger more often.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
:facepalm: My manlove for Dwyer aside, that's a worse comparison than LaRose and Gerbe

More of an expectation/role thing than a comparison thing. Dwyer was/is a good candidate to replace larose in his should've been position of fourth line hustle guy. He's also played his way into a higher position due to a lack of depth and his ability to play the way the coaches ask him.

I just don't expect any more offense out of him than I ever did of larose.

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
Hey I heard Gerbe scored on a breakaway or something?

That was a fun game to watch. It was refreshing watching the Canes pull out that win after giving up a 2 goal lead. It would have been easy for them to cave in, especially in Philly, but they stayed with it.

I thought Eric had a good game last night and Semin has looked great. I know Tripp loved how Ruutu was playing and I am glad he is playing as aggressive as he is, but sometimes he just looked like a bull in a china shop. He was running around out there with no rhyme or reason.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I was just about to change mine as it wasn't relevant any longer, but then the Canes went out and got another Anton. Too much hassle anyhow having people figure out who everyone is after changes so I'll leave it.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
If you hover over a username, it shows what it was changed from.

I almost always look at avatars, though. So whenever I interact with you, I imagine I'm conversing with the Soup Nazi.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
ib209BNuZGNzjz.gif

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I've been debating changing mine, since I changed it when Carolina had Babchuk and Minnesota had Burns.

Now, none of the defensemen either team has can really be considered bombs from the point.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If you hover over a username, it shows what it was changed from.

I almost always look at avatars, though. So whenever I interact with you, I imagine I'm conversing with the Soup Nazi.

:laugh:

Yeah, I know the hovering trick shows their last known name, but some have changed their usernames every year and I can no longer keep up going 3 or 4 names back.

It's also why I don't change the avatar either.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
For many of the guys that have been around a long time and have made many name changes like yourself, WTF ("the Sam" originally?), AJJ(Kahz originally?), halleJOKEL (inStaaled originally?) are easy to tell. Especially as many of you, as well as others such as SVT, TBK, etc.. have distinctive posting styles.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I've also been trying to figure out a new username, but figured I'd try to establish a new avatar first since I don't post a ton. And at one point we had a thread that listed everyone's old name before the switch to the anton-based names. Might be a good idea to dig that up.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Yep, that's my progression. I don't even know why I started with what I did. I don't think I was even looking to post regularly. Now, almost 9 years later...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad