Post-Game Talk: #1 - 10/04/18 | predators @ RANGERS | 7:30 - MSG, NBCSN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Have to do something about Staal. He doesn't fit what we are doing (not that he fits any system). Back to backs this weekend. I hope Quinn sits him one game. He can explain it that we have 3 games in 4 nights, etc.

Other than that, decent start. Many chances missed. Need to bury those from the slot. I like Adam Mc on D. Gives us a little anger back there when Hank is bumped and keeps McCleod in the press box. Dress Tony for Staal on Saturday and I'll have some optimism that this season is going somewhere.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pionk needs to work on his coverage and decisions on odd-man rushes. He seems confused as to who to pick up, and then when he decides he's still a little slow to get over. Fixable. Otherwise he was fine. That's what this season is for.

Defensive breakdowns were common but to be expected.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Was at the game last night, my thoughts:
For all the complaining about Staal, Shatty was worse. Not just the screen, he was flubbing the puck and making bad plays all night.
Vesey needs to finish, but he was in the middle of almost every high quality scoring chance besides the goals.
Speaking of needing to finish, Zucc. He also made a lot of poor plays and I am very worried with the way he is trending.
Henrik still Henrik.
When I was mentally going through the players to reflect on their performance I realized I didn't notice Spooner do anything. Like, anything. What an invisible game.
Kreider and Buch need to be much better. Thought Zib was fine but the wingers weren't helping at all.

Overall, was very happy with the compete level. Against a great team, with the refs doing whatever they were doing, I can't complain. Certainly some things to work on, but a good sign that this season will at least be watchable....

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
If we had bought out Staal, I like hoped for, he wouldn't even be a discussion right now. Sure, the cap hit would've been stretched out, but it's not like we're in a huge squeeze beyond having to get a bunch of guys under contract this season. Two more years at $5.7M after this, and we've only begun this year.

And he's already at a point where he can't even complete a decent outlet pass, much less play well under duress.

Last edited:

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
Chytil's pass on the opening score was amazing. Fast or whoever plays with him will benefit greatly.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I think we will see a lot of games like this one this season. Hang in there, decent effort, and result just a little short.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Chytil's pass on the opening score was amazing. Fast or whoever plays with him will benefit greatly.
Fast was no slouch getting behind/around Subban. But yeah, I think Fast will produce more with Chytil as his center.

40 point Jesper Fast is the dream.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Nothing is older than constant moaning about refs. Every team has fans that think the refs are rougher on their team. They are without logic.

They are wrong, but if such a fan were right, they would be a fool for even watching a "rigged" sporting event.

And here we go again.

I believe the officials are given instructions before each game on how to call the game. Not necessarily in favor of one team or the other, but in terms of how loosely or tightly the game should be called. I DO think the league has PREFERRED outcomes, especially on Nationally televised games, and how the game is dictated to be called would potentially influence that preferred outcome. Doesn't necessarily mean the games are "rigged". And, teams can adjust to the style of the game.

What bothers me more, and there is no adjusting to this, is how certain teams always get the "benefit of the doubt" on icings, goaltender control, and offside. Happens too often just to be "missed calls".

The fact that pre-season was called tighter than a duck's ***, and last night approached Hudson Bay rules is testament to my point.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Nothing is older than constant moaning about refs. Every team has fans that think the refs are rougher on their team. They are without logic.

They are wrong, but if such a fan were right, they would be a fool for even watching a "rigged" sporting event.
You are defending professionals when they had an unacceptable, exceptionally bad performance
That's every bit as tiring as someone who complains about refs without merit

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The Refs were painstakingly bad last night. Blowing and missing calls left and right. Its almost as if the NHL called them up and said there is no way you can let the Rangers beat our Predators. How do you miss McQuaid getting high sticked with 4 of you on the ice??? And the play was in front of the net!

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Anyone have gif/video of the non-call on McQuaid? In true silverfish fashion, I did not watch the game.

I'M REALLY GLAD EVERYONE LIKES THIS POST BUT CAN I PLEASE GET A GIF

giphy.gif

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
All four officials missed mcquaid getting a totally blatant stick in his mouth. My question is, if there was no foul in their eyes, why not call mcquaid for “embellishment”? I mean, he went down pretty dramatically. Either it was a high stick or embellishment. Them calling nothing is just garbage. Then goal for Nashville. Game.

Reactions: RGY and NCRanger

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There is nothing wrong about thinking that the refs had a bad game which ended up favoring one of the teams. That is not at all saying they are biased and are intentionally helping one team. The refs are not infallible. They were poor yesterday and it hurt the Rangers. It could easily be exactly the opposite tomorrow.

People need to realize this. It's like people who say they always see the train/bus leave when they get to the platform. No, it's not always, you just remember the times it happens. Same goes for refs costing us a game. You remember those moments for much longer than the moments where we win a game due to a ref's decision. Over a full season, it cancels out anyway

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
How do you not realize how awful your logic is. This JUST started and the whole idea of being bad is to get great talent...again we JUST started being bad. So you are complaining that they've only gotten mediocre talent through other methods since we only JUST started going this route.

Follow me here. According to you we only have mediocre talent. Being competitive is what we did until very recently. Therefore being competitive GOT us the mediocre talent you are complaining about.

Simultaneously, while you complain about the mediocre talent we got while being competitive you ALSO claim we could have stayed competitive and built a team with great talent.

Then you compound it further by acting as if we got this mediocre talent specifically bc of our current plan...even though we literally JUST started our current course. Then it's even WORSE bc the prospects are so new that the jury is still out. At least 3 have a legit chance of being at least close to elite.

Then you ask a question like "were they protected as if they're elite"? Teams were able to steal prospects in the pipeline? They needed protection? Since when?

What. The. ****.

The only remotely salient point is that losing does not guarantee a franchise player.

This point ignores that it does grant you a much much more valuable pick. It's still no guarantee but shouldn't be ignored either

Things got a little side tracked with RD so my apologies for derailing the thread lol.

This will be my last post on the subject.

At this point, I can accept the rebuild but I just can't stand when people choose to root for the teams failure just in order to get a better pick that's not guaranteed.

You don't have to look beyond Buffalo or Edmonton in order to see there's more than a good chance that this all can very easily fail.

I will never be a fan of tanking.
It's just a chicken shit move that I'll never agree with.

Moving on...

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
All four officials missed mcquaid getting a totally blatant stick in his mouth. My question is, if there was no foul in their eyes, why not call mcquaid for “embellishment”? I mean, he went down pretty dramatically. Either it was a high stick or embellishment. Them calling nothing is just garbage. Then goal for Nashville. Game.

You can hit a player in the face with a stick without it being a penalty. If it's a follow-through after a pass/shot, it's not considered a penalty (for instance)

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
People need to realize this. It's like people who say they always see the train/bus leave when they get to the platform. No, it's not always, you just remember the times it happens. Same goes for refs costing us a game. You remember those moments for much longer than the moments where we win a game due to a ref's decision. Over a full season, it cancels out anyway
So no game threads? Maybe just a big Hockey Generalizations thread?

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
You can hit a player in the face with a stick without it being a penalty. If it's a follow-through after a pass/shot, it's not considered a penalty (for instance)

Except Fiala was holding his stick at neck level and used the stick on McQuaid's face to gain position. It was so obvious, Stevie Wonder saw it from a plane at 35,000 feet.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Not bad for the first game of the season, yet I think without the play of Lundqvist the results look different but that is not earth shattering new stuff.

Good for Vesey and Skjei.

Howden made some good plays.

Shattenkirk is just a strange player to me, overall I think he had a pretty decent game but the parts that don't go well for him stand out and without the parts that do go well and result in points it kind of leaves the impression that he did not play well.

I also thought McQuaid was pretty okay, don't tell anyone I said that.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
But all in all last night was encouraging for this group moving forward under Quinn. He is a no nonsense coach. The team played fast and hard. The Predators are just really, really good. By the second period the Rangers started to even out the ice. But also a ton, if not all, the credit goes to Hank. That game couldve easily been 3-0 within the first ten minutes of the first. He gave them a chance to get their legs under them

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Last night will be a microcosm of the season. Lundqvist will keep the Rangers competitive in most of the games this season. The Rangers D is terrible. They handle the puck like a hand grenade. The forwards are average at best. If it wasn’t for heroics from Lundqvist,the Rangers would have been blown out. How defensive breakdowns did the Rangers suffer last night? It can’t just be the players getting used to a new system. Some of them just plain suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad