GDT: 07/11/2013: Islanders @ Hurricanes. Some more nerdy stuff.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Although the offense is still anemic, a number of positive signs for me last night. Faulk had a few rough games over the past few weeks, but he (and Sekera) was excellent last night. I also agree that was Bellemore's best game. Murphy continues to surpass my expectations.

I know they didn't score, and I have been critical of the top line this season, but I thought last night was one of their better games (in all zones). They were defensively responsible, they battled hard, they skated hard, they had 6 of the teams 24 shots, and Eric was dominant in the face-off circle. More games like that and the puck will find the back of the net for them.

Riley Nash is also starting to grow on me some. Although he'll never be an offensive threat, he is a pretty heady player and more often than not, makes the right play. I also see him getting better/stronger along the boards and behind the net.

Lastly, it looks like the Canes finally have a real 4th line. Not the prototypical, physical type of line, but guys that can skate, are solid defensively, and can chip in some offense occasionally.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So people weren't "entertained" last night? We've all bemoaned how many goals this team gives up because they suck defensively for how many years? Now they play a couple of tight checking games to get 4 points and you prefer a more up tempo game? Are you ****ing kidding me?

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I enjoyed the game. I like watching tight checked games. Sure goals are nice but a defensive battle is also nice. I was pretty amazed by how well the defense performed. Very tight coverage and good collapse around the net. It was great to see after the years of poor defense we've seen.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
I don't mind good defense but I want scoring chances and frankly, we didn't really have many of those prime chances. I'm happy for the defense and the win. All healthly and if we could add another scorer in a trade,I'd be happy with this team.

I want wins and playoffs or I think Muller's seat has to get really hot.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I thought we had a lot of scoring chances, but just couldn't finish.

Two of the top of my head:

2nd period, I believe - When Terry had an entire half of the offensive zone to himself and took a shot that apparently was quite a bit more powerful than it looked. Appeared to almost squeak through and Poulin was definitely down for a bit after the shot.

3rd period - 3-on-2, Staal on the wing passes it to the middle of the ice and Semin smartly let's it go by him to give Tlusty a prime scoring chance.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
As long as they're not playing a zero-forecheck neutral zone trap -style of hockey I have no problems with the level of entertainment of the play.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I thought we had a lot of scoring chances, but just couldn't finish.

Two of the top of my head:

2nd period, I believe - When Terry had an entire half of the offensive zone to himself and took a shot that apparently was quite a bit more powerful than it looked. Appeared to almost squeak through and Poulin was definitely down for a bit after the shot.

3rd period - 3-on-2, Staal on the wing passes it to the middle of the ice and Semin smartly let's it go by him to give Tlusty a prime scoring chance.

Semin had that chance at the top of the slot that he decided to skate around with instead of bury early on. Bellemore walked in prett uncontested late in the 3rd as well.
That's about all I've got.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Although the offense is still anemic, a number of positive signs for me last night. Faulk had a few rough games over the past few weeks, but he (and Sekera) was excellent last night. I also agree that was Bellemore's best game. Murphy continues to surpass my expectations.

I know they didn't score, and I have been critical of the top line this season, but I thought last night was one of their better games (in all zones). They were defensively responsible, they battled hard, they skated hard, they had 6 of the teams 24 shots, and Eric was dominant in the face-off circle. More games like that and the puck will find the back of the net for them.

Riley Nash is also starting to grow on me some. Although he'll never be an offensive threat, he is a pretty heady player and more often than not, makes the right play. I also see him getting better/stronger along the boards and behind the net.

Lastly, it looks like the Canes finally have a real 4th line. Not the prototypical, physical type of line, but guys that can skate, are solid defensively, and can chip in some offense occasionally.

This is the best I've felt walking out of a Canes game in a spell, and that 4th line is making me very happy with Malhotra.

Very happy for Peters as well, now that he's got two pretty solid outings under his belt. Still gave up plenty of rebounds and opportunities for 2nd chances, but he was usually bailed out pretty well.

As many have said, this was the best game the D has had in a while, from top to bottom, which is encouraging because (hopefully) offense will follow.

Keep this up until Skinner returns? Hey, I might be catastrophically optimistic, but I'm feelin' pretty good that maybe a corner has been turned.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
This is the best I've felt walking out of a Canes game in a spell, and that 4th line is making me very happy with Malhotra.

Very happy for Peters as well, now that he's got two pretty solid outings under his belt. Still gave up plenty of rebounds and opportunities for 2nd chances, but he was usually bailed out pretty well.

As many have said, this was the best game the D has had in a while, from top to bottom, which is encouraging because (hopefully) offense will follow.

Keep this up until Skinner returns? Hey, I might be catastrophically optimistic, but I'm feelin' pretty good that maybe a corner has been turned.

Yeah, this. Honestly, the five game losing streak hurts. But if there's any year a terrible team or two can make the playoffs in the East, it looks like this year.

I'm excited again. I'm sure we'll lose 10-1 to the Wild, because they've been absolutely insane, and I'll be depressed again, but today? Today's a good day. (Because I'm playing with Chad.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad