GDT: #03 – Sabres at Canes – Thu Jan 24 – 7:00PM ET – TV: MSG-B – Radio: WGR-AM

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
gdt-03-top-1.png
gdt-03-top-2.png

gdt-03-top-3.png
gdt-03-top-4.png

GDT #03: SABRES (2-0-0) at CANES (0-2-0) – THU JAN 24 – 7:00PM ET – TV: MSG-B – RADIO: WGR-AM

1.21 – Sabres’ Miller earns a day’s vacation (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

1.22 – Sabres showcase more toughness in gritty win over Leafs (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

1.22 – Hodgson earns rewards for going to the net (Mike Harrington – The Buffalo News)

1.22 – Hecht is back and on a role (Mike Harrington – The Buffalo News)

1.23 – Sabres banking on youngsters Ennis, Hodgson becoming top centers (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

1.23 – Lightning spoil Canes' home opener, win 4-1 (Chip Alexander – The News & Observer)

1.23 – Canes' long wait delivers little excitement (Luke DeCock – The News & Observer)

1.23 – Muller asks for hard work and gets it (Chip Alexander – The News & Observer)

1.23 – Sabres-Hurricanes Preview (Taylor Betchtold – Associated Press)

1.24 – Feisty Gerbe is itching to return (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

1.24 – Enroth likely to get the call tonight (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

1.24 – Muller makes defensive switches for Sabres (Chip Alexander – The News & Observer)
header-350x60-team-news-left.png
header-350x60-default-right.png

BUFFALO SABRES

Projected Lineup

26 Thomas Vanek ("A") - 19 Cody Hodgson - 29 Jason Pominville ("C")
82 Marcus Foligno - 63 Tyler Ennis - 21 Drew Stafford ("A")
42 Nathan Gerbe - 25 Mikhail Grigorenko - 9 Steve Ott
32 John Scott - 55 Jochen Hecht - 36 Patrick Kaleta

24 Robyn Regehr - 57 Tyler Myers
10 Christian Ehrhoff - 52 Alexander Sulzer
3 Jordan Leopold - 44 Andrej Sekera

1 Jhonas Enroth
30 Ryan Miller

Lineup News & Notes

Nathan Gerbe (back) has been cleared for action and will make his season debut tonight, while Ville Leino (LBI) and
Cody McCormick (finger) still remain sidelined with injuries. TJ Brennan, Matt Ellis and Mike Weber are the healthy
scratches, while Jhonas Enroth will get his first start in goal.

Weekly Transactions

David Leggio, Mark Mancari, Adam Pardy, Kevin Porter, Drew Schiestel and Nick Tarnasky each cleared waivers last
week, while Joe Finley was claimed by the New York Islanders. Buffalo announced Darcy Regier's contract extension
on Saturday.

According to the Stats

Buffalo were 2-2-0 versus Carolina last season, with Ryan Miller playing three games and stopping 83 of 92 shots
against (3.02 GAA, .902 SV%). Jhonas Enroth started one game and had a 34-save shutout. Their leading scorers
in the series were Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek, each with three goals and two assists.
header-350x60-opp-news-left.png
header-350x60-opp-news-right.png

CAROLINA HURRICANES

Projected Lineup

19 Jiri Tlusty - 12 Eric Staal ("C") - 28 Alexander Semin
53 Jeff Skinner - 11 Jordan Staal ("A") - 22 Zac Dalpe
21 Drayson Bowman - 36 Jussi Jokinen - 59 Chad LaRose
39 Patrick Dwyer - 37 Tim Brent - 8 Kevin Westgarth

6 Tim Gleason ("A") - 27 Justin Faulk
25 Joni Pitkanen - 4 Jamie McBain
44 Jay Harrison - 24 Bobby Sanguinetti

30 Cam Ward
31 Dan Ellis

Lineup News & Notes

Zach Boychuk, Zac Dalpe and Jamie McBain were scratched in Tuesday's 4-1 loss to Tampa Bay. Joe Corvo and
Jeremy Welsh will join Boychuk as scratches tonight, while Cam Ward will start in goal.

Weekly Transactions

None.

According to the Stats

Carolina were 2-1-1 in four games versus Buffalo last season, with Cam Ward starting three games and stopping 109
of 117 shots against (2.65 GAA, .932 SV%). Eric Staal, with one goal and two assists, and Jussi Jokinen, with three
assists, were their leading scorers in the series.

header-350x60-stats-standings-left.png
header-350x60-stats-standings-right.png

gdt-03-stats-standings-1.png
gdt-03-stats-standings-2.png

header-350x60-multimedia-left.png
header-350x60-default-right.png

A/V CLUB

1.21 – Highlights of Buffalo's 2-1 win over Toronto. <4:08>

1.21 – Lindy Ruff speaks with the media following Buffalo's 2-1 win over Toronto. <4:05>

1.22 – Highlights of Carolina's 4-1 loss to Tampa Bay. <4:10>

1.22 – Kirk Muller speaks with the media following Carolina's 4-1 loss to Tampa Bay. <3:51>

1.23 – Kevin Westgarth and Jeremy Welsh speak with CanesVision following Carolina's practice. <2:54>

1.23 – Lindy Ruff speaks with the media following Buffalo's practice. <7:13>

1.23 – Nathan Gerbe speaks with the media following Buffalo's practice. <2:20>

1.23 – Tyler Ennis speaks with the media following Buffalo's practice. <2:38>

1.23 – Steve Ott speaks with the media following Buffalo's practice. <1:55>

1.23 – Thomas Vanek speaks with the media following Buffalo's practice. <1:35>

1.24 – Lindy Ruff speaks with the media following Buffalo's morning skate. <5:46>

1.24 – Nathan Gerbe speaks with the media following Buffalo's morning skate. <1:53>

1.24 – Jhonas Enroth speaks with the media following Buffalo's morning skate. <1:53>

GAMEDAY CHAT

IRC Server: irc.esper.net ... Channel: #sabres ... If you have questions: FYI - Sabres Chat

Last edited:

Imagining Defeat

Dec 16, 2007
Satellite of Love
There is some serious Cam Ward hate on the Canes board.

Granted I haven't really looked at his stats the past few years, but I've always thought of him as a decent keeper...at least in the top half of the league...

Has he really been this bad? Or is it just reaction to a rough start this year?

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
There is some serious Cam Ward hate on the Canes board.

Granted I haven't really looked at his stats the past few years, but I've always thought of him as a decent keeper...at least in the top half of the league...

8 Goals in 38 Shots but the defense has been poor. I'm interested to see if Ott goes after Gleason in one of these next two games though (I expect a split hopefully the Sabres go 1-0-1)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Ward's only stopped 30 of 38 shots this year, of course there's going to be frustration... just imagine what our board would be like if Miller had that kind of start. Historically, he's been good against us lately.
Hurricanes goalie Cam Ward is 4-0-2 with 1.98 GAA in his last six against the Sabres but enters this matchup struggling. He's allowed eight goals on 38 shots for one of the league's worst GAAs (6.00).

Buffalo has gone 4-1-2 in its last seven trips to Carolina, but that regulation loss came in its most recent visit, 4-2 last Jan. 6.

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sabres-hurricanes-preview-230952646--nhl.html

Imagining Defeat

Dec 16, 2007
Satellite of Love
Ward's only stopped 30 of 38 shots this year, of course there's going to be frustration... just imagine what our board would be like if Miller had that kind of start. Historically, he's been good against us lately.

That right there is why I always think of him as pretty darn good :laugh:

Those are nice numbers against us...

And that Ott and Gleason angle is...interesting ;)

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Ward always plays the Sabres well and it seems as though Chad LaRose scores every...single...game...against us. Let's hope neither of the trends continue.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
I of course prefer to win both but if we end up splitting, let them win friday when I'm at the game.

That said, 4-2 Sabres

Vanek
Stafford
Ennis
Leopold

E.Staal
Skinner
Skinner

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Gerbe is back, that could be an interesting 3rd line. Hopefully our offence can generate some sustained pressure to help expose this weak Carolina defence. These games are always fun so I'm excited for tomorrow night.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
Buffalo needs two solid performances to come away with points against the canes. Win both in regulation and they are sitting in a great spot early and the canes are buried. My guess is they split with one going into OT.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
That right there is why I always think of him as pretty darn good :laugh:

Those are nice numbers against us...

And that Ott and Gleason angle is...interesting ;)

Ott: "My best man was Tim Gleason" :shakehead

And by the way, Ott's new gf/fiance is smokin. He definitely upgraded

121202-0099.jpg

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
It is early yet
Though the Sabres have won twice
They need to stay strong.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I'm driving up there at two and plan on tailgating from 4-7. I hate the obnoxious Sabres fans who come up there just to feel like they can re-connect with Buffalo after moving away but I do love tailgating...and hockey...and watching Vanek put up a hat trick over the most overrated team in hockey...

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Ugh, I'm worried that we're going to face a fired up Canes team. However, I am hopeful we'll be able to shred their D and goaltending for somewhere between 5-15 goals tonight. Carolina is one team I will encourage running up the score against. Because **** those guys.

RattleYourSabre

Jan 12, 2013
I'm interested to see Grigorenko with Gerbe and Ott next to him.

Also want to see if the first line can keep up with the pace they've set so far this year. Their production has been fantastic. They've combined for 13 of our 19 points on the season thus far and Hogsdon is tops on the team in +/-.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad