GDT: #03 – Sabres at Canes – Thu Jan 24 – 7:00PM ET – TV: MSG-B – Radio: WGR-AM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ward's only stopped 30 of 38 shots this year, of course there's going to be frustration... just imagine what our board would be like if Miller had that kind of start. Historically, he's been good against us lately.

Yuck. Tonic game for him or do his woes continue? Hopefully they can keep him reeling.

HarryNealesGarden

Big Daddy Ted
Nov 15, 2009
BOS
The canes GDT is pretty hilarious, but you can tell there's still some serious lasting bitterness down there over the whole broken glass incident of 2006

RattleYourSabre

Jan 12, 2013
The canes GDT is pretty hilarious, but you can tell there's still some serious lasting bitterness down there over the whole broken glass incident of 2006

Okay as someone who used to be a VERY casual fan, and now I'm big time into it...

Can you help me out with what this broken glass incidence was? Sounds intriguing.

HarryNealesGarden

Big Daddy Ted
Nov 15, 2009
BOS
Okay as someone who used to be a VERY casual fan, and now I'm big time into it...

Can you help me out with what this broken glass incidence was? Sounds intriguing.
At Game 7 of the 2006 ECF in Raleigh (I was lucky enough to be there), the fan giveaway was a Hurricanes nice beer glass, but instead of a plastic one like in most cities, it was actual glass. Fueled by the heart-wrenching loss and a tailgate party that had been going since 1 in the afternoon, a not-super-tiny number of drunken buffalo fans proceeded to smash the glasses on the ground outside the arena after the game. Several were arrested. It's not like more than a couple dozen bozos were doing it, but that's enough to create a stereotype. That series had seen a lot of AM-radio-fueled cousin-marrying and armpit-of-the-USA jokes too, so tensions were already pretty high.

The myth has grown over the years to include things like abducting women and eating babies, but suffice it to say the Canes fans don't much care for the buffalo transplants who take over their arena twice a year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

The genius Hurricanes promotion department thought it a good idea to give away beer glasses while people were exiting the playoff game with Buffalo. In addition to causing a difficult time in exiting the arena, a number of fans (presumed to be Buffalo fans) decided to smash the glasses outside the arena. Not sure how the people in charge of that idea didn't think that glasses would be broken given that people were tailgating most of the day and drinking during the game. :laugh:

Most of the ribbing now days is pretty much tongue and cheek since there isn't any sort of rivalry between the teams. I think re-located Buffalo fans like to come to the arena and get a little rowdy, and usually a couple of them get out of hand, but in fairness, there are a few Canes fans that also get a bit out of hand, but I've found that for the most part, it's fairly tame these days.

Also, while there is some concern about Ward's performance to date, a lot of the comments are trolling so you have to know who is posting them to know for sure which ones to take seriously. For example, 1 guy is also the guy who was arguing for 2 NHL teams in Mexico last year.

RattleYourSabre

Jan 12, 2013
Thanks for the breakdown, Boom and Harry. Sounds like their marketing team had a fantastic idea. Maybe the Sabres should give away real swords at a home game soon.... :laugh:

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
My favorite Canes fan story was that (allegedly) a Sabres fan chucked their half eaten nachos from the upper deck, and they landed on someone's wife, who sustained 3rd degree burns on her entire arm from the cheese THROUGH HER CANES JERSEY.

Probably the most impossible thing ever.

BUFSABES1981

Apr 11, 2011
Here's an article that always sticks in my head when the Sabres play the Canes in NC... From the Raleigh Observer:

DeCock: Take back what's ours, Canes fans
ARTICLE
0 COMMENTS
EmailPrintOrder ReprintShare This Text
BY LUKE DECOCK - STAFF WRITER
Tags: hockey | sports | canes | fans | buffalo | nhl | decock
RALEIGH -- It's Fan Appreciation Week for the Carolina Hurricanes. They're giving away a Jeff Skinner wall cling today. And the Hurricanes desperately need a win over the Buffalo Sabres if they're going to beat out the Sabres for a playoff spot.

Yet that may not be enough to get some season-ticket holders into the building, otherwise devoted and committed Hurricanes fans who refuse to deal with the hassles caused by Sabres fans.

This problem dates back to the 2006 playoffs, when visiting Buffalo fans provoked fights and arrests and smashed the giveaway pint glasses in the RBC Center parking lots. Five years later, there are still plenty of fans who say they have had so many bad experiences with Sabres fans that they'd rather not come at all.

"There's a discomfort for a lot of people about going to Buffalo games," said Ken Ast, a Hurricanes full season-ticket holder originally from upstate New York. "It's not just a few of us."

Ast went to the March 3 win over the Sabres after selling his tickets to Buffalo games three years running. He gave today's tickets to his sons and will watch on TV instead, avoiding what he described as "kind of a general nastiness."

As is always the case, a few inebriated jerks acting like inebriated jerks give the literally thousands of passionate but otherwise normal Sabres fans in the area a bad name.

Oddly enough, many Hurricanes fans who have attended games in Buffalo report overwhelmingly positive experiences. There's just something about games here that seems to bring out the worst in some Sabres fans - and yet not, to the same degree, in fans of other teams who attend in sizable contingents.

There are a few louts in every crowd. The Buffalo crowd just seems to have more than its share.

"I find every Buffalo game unpleasant," said Chuck Wright, a Hurricanes fan who skipped the Hurricanes' earlier home game against the Sabres for that reason. "There are a lot of Buffalo people who live here now for jobs and the lifestyle, and they're big Sabres fans and big Bills fans, and that's fine.

"But some of the behavior is just - I don't want my kids exposed to it, the F-bombs and over-the-top type behavior. It's like they're trying to prove something because they're on enemy turf."

Arena general manager Dave Olsen said that the majority of incidents with visiting fans either occur in the parking lots or start there, so the arena will have extra parking-lot bike patrols to keep an eye on things before the game even starts.

"Cheering loud for Buffalo or chanting or whatever, there's nothing wrong with being fans," Olsen said. "This is America. This is what we do. But if they cross the line, then find someone in a red vest or jacket."

In a perfect world, every seat in the building would be held by a Hurricanes season-ticket holder, limiting the number of "enemy" fans at any given game. That's not going to happen in this economy or this market. On the contrary, the home fans are staying away.

Last year's two home games against Buffalo both drew fewer than 16,000 fans and each was the smallest crowd of the month it was played - despite the considerable number of Buffalo fans attending.

When the Sabres last visited on March 3, for a game of similar importance in the standings, the Hurricanes drew an unimpressive crowd of 15,213. That was again the smallest crowd of the month and the second-lowest attendance of 23 home games in 2011.

Before that March 3 game, I asked via Twitter whether there were Hurricanes fans who really stayed away from games against Buffalo.

The response was overwhelming, with a wide diversity of answers - many fans answering in the affirmative, Sabres fans defending or distancing themselves and, yes, a few Sabres fans acting like jerks.

"We're not [afraid] or anything. It's just one of those things," said 26-game mini-plan holder Laura Hamlyn, who said the opponent was a contributing factor in the decision to give away her tickets to that Buffalo game. (Fatigue was another.) "Sunday's going to be huge, so I'm sure they're going to be loud and proud."

This is the Hurricanes' last chance to make the playoffs. A loss today and they're finished. Their only hope is to pick up two points on the Sabres today, win their final three games and hope for a little help elsewhere.

Wright, who also skipped the game last month, is debating whether to go today, although this time his schedule that would keep him away, not the atmosphere.

"I'd like to go for a couple reasons," Wright said. "One, it's a very important game and we're playing very well. Two, I do think we need to take a stand at some point and take our home field back."

There's too much on the line for the Hurricanes today for their fans to be bullied out of their own building. It's time for the Hurricanes to defend their home turf, on and off the ice. Because otherwise, the Buffalo fans win.

[email protected], twitter.com/LukeDeCock or 919-829-8947

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/04/03/1100857/take-back-whats-ours-canes-fans.html#storylink=cpy

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I smell an OT game. Canes win when Skinner decides to break out his newest dive. He skates down left wing, falls to the ice when a young lady in the 11th row sneezes, covertly tucks the puck in his jersey, and slides into the net. Jubilant that the move that he's been perfecting since his draft night really worked, Skinner nails a triple salchow in celebration of his game-winner. Canes win 3-2 in OT.

Pominville
Myers

E. Staal
Jokinen
Skinner

Apr 5, 2011
Newcastle, England.
My favorite Canes fan story was that (allegedly) a Sabres fan chucked their half eaten nachos from the upper deck, and they landed on someone's wife, who sustained 3rd degree burns on her entire arm from the cheese THROUGH HER CANES JERSEY.

Probably the most impossible thing ever.

I'm getting from this post that you don't believe in Nacho Burn, through research i can say it is a real phenomenon. The cheese is known to be very hot and doubles in temperature after half of the said nachos have been consumed. It's not funny and it affects thousands of people every year.

Note; Hockey jerseys are known to act as a catalyst for the burning sensation as does dropping from a height.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

They're really hung up on something that happened 7 years ago. Kind of sad.

I moved on a long time ago. Nowadays I don't really harbor any special animosity towards the Hurricanes franchise, except for the fact that their existence meant the death of the Hartford Whalers. Still miss having the Whale in the league.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I live in NC and go to at least one game a season, and I was also at game 1 and game 7 in 2006. I didn't tail gate all day or hang out and get rowdy after game 7 (I can't afford being involved in drama in my line of work). I know bad things happened then, but nothing unusual compared to some big games in other cities like Montreal, Chicago, etc.

However, since then Canes fans have been at least equal partners in instigating drama, and their arena workers have been involved. There was a constant run of insulting jokes about Buffalo and it's fans on the scoreboard in every game from 2006-2010. It only got Sabres fans mad and added to a potentially volatile atmoshpere. I'm a pretty calm fan, but I had Canes fans berating me in a very obnoxious manner almost every game. Eventually the scoreboard insults faded away and the overall tone got better. The rep makes some Canes fans stay home or sell off their tix (to Sabres fans), but that's fine with me so I never have a problem getting a seat.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Sabres 3-2

Stafford, Ott, or Ehrhoff with a goal

Sylvester with the call ... Again?!?!

Lloyd-Christmas-Cry-and-Gag-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad