Sportsnet: “All bets are off” in regards to Babcock

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I don't get it either as a defender. I would tell him like Commodore f*ck it I'm staying in front of net to stop any kill zone chances. or I'm in corner f ing a guy over to get the puck. 2 defenders behind net never works in hockey.

See it did for him when he had Lidstrom and Kronwall etc...so in his mind it has to work now...he is SUCH a mule. If it worked before it will work again...just be patient...

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Babcock be like "you can't fire Mike Babcock! Only Mike Babcock can fire Mike Babcock!" ;)
upload_2019-11-18_19-10-0.jpeg

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Babcock be like "you can't fire Mike Babcock! Only Mike Babcock can fire Mike Babcock!" ;)
“Press Release:

After much consideration Mike Babcock has decided to move forward without Mike Babcock. Mike Babcock and the entire Leaf family thank Mike for his years as our head coach. Best of luck to Mike Babcock and Mike’s family.

Mike Babcock”

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
It's the way he said it.
He's getting fired, he knows it, you know it, I know it, Dubas knows it. If they lose tomorrow he's gonna be gone so given the amount of pressure of being seen as a failure by the entire nhl and being fired on national tv with everyone hearing about it all over the world.. I think he handled himself alright by saying he is still betting on himself

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
He's getting fired, he knows it, you know it, I know it, Dubas knows it. If they lose tomorrow he's gonna be gone so given the amount of pressure of being seen as a failure by the entire nhl and being fired on national tv with everyone hearing about it all over the world.. I think he handled himself alright by saying he is still betting on himself

He'll be picked up by another team almost instantly if he were to get fired. So no he won't be seen as a failure by the nhl. Only by this fanbase.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

When the time finally comes and he does get the boot...what do you think he will be like afterwards?

1. Fairly conciliatory about his tenure and just disappear into the night waiting for his next job.

2. Constantly take little pot shots from afar to show he wasn't the problem and it was Duby or the players.

I am betting it's the latter...he hasn't been fired at the NHL level and I don't think his ego is just going to lie down and take the blame.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
When the time finally comes and he does get the boot...what do you think he will be like afterwards?

1. Fairly conciliatory about his tenure and just disappear into the night waiting for his next job.

2. Constantly take little pot shots from afar to show he wasn't the problem and it was Duby or the players.

I am betting it's the latter...he hasn't been fired at the NHL level and I don't think his ego is just going to lie down and take the blame.

Id say 1.. Who has he talked shit to in the past? I mean i don't know the guy personally but id say 1.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
It's scary when a person that old believes coaches make some huge difference. I mean, usually it takes way less time to figure some of this simple **** really. Team will start well for a few games under next coach and then because they've never had to work for anything in their lives they'll go back to same routine. I have been around ballerinas before, they're all the same and just care about fame, money, what to put on instagram, etc...If you aren't taught from a young age about proper behaviour, proper work ethic, etc, very difficult for it to change later on.

Matthews winning a NLA and ROY in 2 leagues, isn't competing?
Marner winning everything, a MemCup, Red Tilson, MemCup MVP are ballerinas?
Neither player worked for any of this??

The saying goes if you, forget history, you are doomed to repeat it.
In this cases (and others), people don't consider it at all.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
The issue isn't necessarily the usage, it's his inability to read the situation. For example, if you have Columbus and Boston on a back to back, Freddie absolutely needs to play Boston regardless if it's Game 1 or 2. The points against division rivals are far too valuable to be giving them away like candy.

I can agree with this, but I just dont think its as big of an issue as a lot of people are making it out to be. The teams play in the 2nd game od the back to back is much more concerning. They wouldve lost most of their b2b games if they played the same way in front of Freddie.

A change should be tried, but the biggest issue for the b2b is the teams awful play, not our goalie usage.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
How did you feel about Sparks starting JT’s first game back in Long Island? Clearly that was a huge deal to JT and you’ve gotta think the young guys wanted to get out there and show the new guy they had his back. Babs pissed that opportunity away and quite frankly the team has been a shell of itself ever since. A 6-1 loss to a bunch of old teammates (Leo, Martin). Not a good look.

Once again Babs puts himself before the team and people question why fans want him gone. The sooner he’s out the door the better.

How was that decision, right or wrong, in any way Babcock putting himself before the team? Geez. I want a coaching change, but I dont see the need to run him out of town like a lot of posters. He is a good coach, some posters need to realize every choice he makes isnt the wrong one.

If your team consistently looks extra bad on their 2nd game of a b2b then it absolutely is completely wrong and insane to hang your backup goalie out to dry with that usage. It was absolutely irresponsible to the team to play Kask in first career NHL game like that. It would be absolutely irresponsible to bring up Woll or Scott some time in the future and subject them that kind of confidence destroying usage.

Not irresponsible to play him in a b2b. Thats what happens when you are expected to be a backup. You dont get the good games most of the time. It was Irresponsible of the team to play one of their worst games in recent memory in front of him.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
One guy has lost every first round he's coached in the past decade pretty much, the other guy has coached 13 playoff rounds in the last 4 years including 2 conference finals and one championship.

He may be a rookie at the NHL level but teams like last years had no business making a run like they did but the guy knows how to get the best out of his players that time of year.
Too lazy to check on the accuracy of Jeff Oneill on Overdrive but he said it is easy for Marlies to win when they have like a 12 million dollar a year budget compared to the 3 million a year budget of other AHL clubs. With no cap limit in AHL Leafs can stash players and overpay for tweeners to stack the Marlies. So Keefe winning is to be expected and not proof he can coach professionals especially in NHL. Something to think about.

Last edited:
Reactions: mulefarm

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Too lazy to check on the accuracy of Jeff Oneill on Overdrive but he said it is easy for Marlies to win when they have like a 12 million dollar a year budget compared to the 3 million a year budget of other AHL clubs. With no cap limit in AHL Leafs can stash players and overpay for tweeters to stack the Marlies. So Keefe winning is to be expected and not proof he can coach professionals especially in NHL. Something to think about.
There’s some validity to that ...
But again
This can’t be worse ..
Everyone had to start somewhere ..
Bowman had a team stacked with veterans in his first couple of years with the Blues and they were competitive over the established original 6
There are so many circumstances and scenarios and nuances
Berube wasn’t a very good coach initially ? But a genius last year ..
Sports is littered with oddities and firsts
We can never make a blanket statement in any situation , it’s pure speculation and rhetoric ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad