Sportsnet: “All bets are off” in regards to Babcock

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I really don't understand how anyone can argue that Babcock likes rough and tumble players when it's so obvious that he doesn't. He really doesn't..like at all. When Muzzin came over he was pounding people for a couple of weeks...then it started to dry up slowly until it is now completely anomalous for him to lay a bit hit. Why is that? did he forget how to do it or was he told there was no value in it? Why did he take slap shots from the point in his first couple of weeks and then stop completely while replacing that clapper with a weak wrist shot from the point. Think about it....he doesn't like it for some reason and he is inflicting his passion of robot hockey on his players.

His favorite player is Hyman...led the league last year in....GETTING HIT...that's right..he loves him some Hyman because he takes a licking and keeps on ticking..very rarely if ever retaliating against those hits. That my friendo is what Babcock likes.

Oh lord, it has morphed into outright lunacy.:help:

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Oh lord, it has morphed into outright lunacy.:help:
upload_2019-11-18_17-43-53.jpeg

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
So where was Matthews?

Matthews f***in hates him, and Babs gave him a bit of a backhand by singling out every one of the "leadership group" who approached him and didn't mention Matthews. Whether it was intentional or not of Babs to say that to inversely single out Matthews ... him even saying it irks him.

With Bab's giant ego? Its probably killing him that Matthews ignores him. I can't wait to see Matthews unleashed by a coach he really likes and respects, and who will give him the reigns to dominate the way he should. None of this 4th line shit after a tv timeout

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Well, Babcock made it longer in TO than most thought. On to the next hall of fame coach I suppose.

In all seriousness, I do believe keeping Babcock is the best thing for the team longterm. Won’t happen though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legendary

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
He is a good coach- his record proves that, but if he were to be fired, it is because he was not right for this team. It happens in every job.
If he's fired it will be do to the unfair nature of sports that you can't fire 23 players and the coach gets the axe instead.

If firing Babcock is what's needed for the group get on page to compete each and every shift so beat it but IMO I'm sick and tired of this rhetoric in that if teams are not playing well is to fire the coach in means of turning things around. I would like to see Shanny speak out and call out the players before they even think of firing Babcock because it's on them why they're not committed to compete each and every shift.

Remember Dallas last year when the owner called out the teams 2 best players? After that things were very different for Dallas. Suddenly players started caring to EARN there minutes and paycheck.

I'll say this right now after that disaster performance leaving a rookie goaltender in his first NHL game out to dry if any player vs Vegas doesn't compete should be moved rather it's Matthews all the way down. Having a team with even 1 player lack integrity and pride has a negative impact on the team. Put up or get shipped out time all around.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
I regret already but ... why is keeping Babcock good ?

I think a lot can be said for building consistency in the locker room. Trotz had his ups and downs in his 15 years in Nashville, but he build a great environment that eventually led to consistent success.

Babcock hasn’t even been in Toronto for 300 or so games, and his first season was definitely a crazy atmosphere. Give him time and make sure the players know they have to work with him, as quitting won’t get him fired and see what happens.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Maybe they are tanking to avoid Boston in the 1st round? Maybe if Boston was doing poorly the leafs would try harder? But because Boston is doing weel, the leafs want to lose more.

my mental gymnastics is exhausting me, I just want to be happy :help:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If he's fired it will be do to the unfair nature of sports that you can't fire 23 players and the coach gets the axe instead.

If firing Babcock is what's needed for the group get on page to compete each and every shift so beat it but IMO I'm sick and tired of this rhetoric in that if teams are not playing well is to fire the coach in means of turning things around. I would like to see Shanny speak out and call out the players before they even think of firing Babcock because it's on them why they're not committed to compete each and every shift.

Remember Dallas last year when the owner called out the teams 2 best players? After that things were very different for Dallas. Suddenly players started caring to EARN there minutes and paycheck.

I'll say this right now after that disaster performance leaving a rookie goaltender in his first NHL game out to dry if any player vs Vegas doesn't compete should be moved rather it's Matthews all the way down. Having a team with even 1 player lack integrity and pride has a negative impact on the team. Put up or get shipped out time all around.
It is like Quennville- he was never a bad coach, but Chicago fired him. It just wasn't working anymore. Though he had already taken the team to multiple Cups. Still he didn't become a bad coach. Babcock can be fired here and lead a different team to a Cup or we keep him and he ends up leading us. I am a late jumper on the fire babcock bandwagon, but like all Leaf fans, we know something has to change.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think a lot can be said for building consistency in the locker room. Trotz had his ups and downs in his 15 years in Nashville, but he build a great environment that eventually led to consistent success.

Babcock hasn’t even been in Toronto for 300 or so games, and his first season was definitely a crazy atmosphere. Give him time and make sure the players know they have to work with him, as quitting won’t get him fired and see what happens.
What if the players don't respond? You just wasted a full season just to "give Babcock a chance".

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Grandma Dubas not a fan of Babs? ;) (Not my pic. Was floating around Twitter)

uTn4fVX.jpg

LOL...tenacious?! Well, until one of the opposing players knocks one of the Leaf players to ice, then every Leaf player tucks their tails between their legs and hide because there's no one on this team that has the balls to stand up to any kind of physicality!

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
What if the players don't respond? You just wasted a full season just to "give Babcock a chance".

What if firing Babcock just emboldens the ring leaders of this mess? Next coach is hard on them and they’ll quit on him too.... because they learned that the coach gets the axe instead of the players.

Reactions: Habz4Evr

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
What if firing Babcock just emboldens the ring leaders of this mess? Next coach is hard on them and they’ll quit on him too.... because they learned that the coach gets the axe instead of the players.

Then you dismantle the team piece by piece. Strip it to the studs and start over.

Because guess what? The whole thing went rotten.

Reactions: saffronleaf

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Also just thought...even last yr when Marlies got brought up they played real well the first several games then vanished for the most part. Some of that is not being ready but some of that could be Keefe knows how to get the most out of his players each and every year and Babcock right now and since maybe Xmas last year has been sliding

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Too lazy to check on the accuracy of Jeff Oneill on Overdrive but he said it is easy for Marlies to win when they have like a 12 million dollar a year budget compared to the 3 million a year budget of other AHL clubs. With no cap limit in AHL Leafs can stash players and overpay for tweeners to stack the Marlies. So Keefe winning is to be expected and not proof he can coach professionals especially in NHL. Something to think about.

Did the Greyhounds have the same luxury? It took McDavid to take them down.
If they have so many resources, why are the Marlies not a dynasty?

Reactions: Habz4Evr

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

True, true. Coaches should never be fired. They should just be replaced when they die of old age behind the bench. Otherwise it will be lord of the flies with the players.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
At least we know why Matthews isn't captain.

Kid has a lot of growing up before anyone should consider him a man or a leader like the other two.

The coach never even tried to deal with their issues?? Did they forget their conversation.
These players are not divas...they have proven records. Stop this.

Want the best out of them? Work with them.

Reactions: klmdg

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Too lazy to check on the accuracy of Jeff Oneill on Overdrive but he said it is easy for Marlies to win when they have like a 12 million dollar a year budget compared to the 3 million a year budget of other AHL clubs. With no cap limit in AHL Leafs can stash players and overpay for tweeners to stack the Marlies. So Keefe winning is to be expected and not proof he can coach professionals especially in NHL. Something to think about.

While it is true that the Marlies have an expensive roster, most of the expensive players are just used for depth and leadership. It was mostly the young guys who carried the team in the playoffs the last couple seasons.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad