Fanatics signs 10 year deal to be uniform supplier of NHL

BMacLeafs

Feb 20, 2022
NHL should have went with CCM or Bauer. At least they could make jerseys that would last a long time

CCM or Bauer are right down there with Fanatics. I don't see anybody wearing anything by either brand outside of a rec rink, and I haven't been to one of those in years.

What a joke. The NHL can spin this all they want, but it's another indication of how hockey is no longer a major sport. I heard a conspiracy theory that the old NBA commissioner sent Bettman to the NHL to ruin the league and wow has he delivered!

His failur to market the stars and create a best-on-best tournament, along with making hockey an ultra-white exclusive sport, has led to widespread destruction throught the league. Look at the partners of the NHL: BioSteel, Discover, and now Fanatics. All third-rate knockoff brands that have no value. And to thingk, the NHL once had Reebok, Nike, Starter, and Pro Player as partners. He can't even get the Winter Classic on New years Day anymore! Someone fire this guy!

This isn't the beginning of the end for the sport, but it's one massive step in htat direction.

Whatever, I'm done with hockey. I should have been done a long time ago thanks to he sport's toxic culture, but something always brought me back. No more. Will the last one out please turn off the lights?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
CCM or Bauer are right down there with Fanatics. I don't see anybody wearing anything by either brand outside of a rec rink, and I haven't been to one of those in years.

What a joke. The NHL can spin this all they want, but it's another indication of how hockey is no longer a major sport. I heard a conspiracy theory that the old NBA commissioner sent Bettman to the NHL to ruin the league and wow has he delivered!

His failur to market the stars and create a best-on-best tournament, along with making hockey an ultra-white exclusive sport, has led to widespread destruction throught the league. Look at the partners of the NHL: BioSteel, Discover, and now Fanatics. All third-rate knockoff brands that have no value. And to thingk, the NHL once had Reebok, Nike, Starter, and Pro Player as partners. He can't even get the Winter Classic on New years Day anymore! Someone fire this guy!

This isn't the beginning of the end for the sport, but it's one massive step in htat direction.

Whatever, I'm done with hockey. I should have been done a long time ago thanks to he sport's toxic culture, but something always brought me back. No more. Will the last one out please turn off the lights?

are you ok

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Classic: People freaking out before even knowing what the jerseys look like, what it'll be made out of or how they will be made

Who cares, the point is that you're starting 2 steps behind of the terrible brand recognition that company has right now.

Even if they make a superior product than Adidas it'll take time for that reputation to go away and they won't be able to maximize their pricing until then.

Who is going to want to shell $200 to wear a 1st generation fanatics jersey off the bat, especially if design changes aren't going to be happening until 2026. If I already have an Adidas jersey, I definitely wouldn't want to switch over to a one with fanatics on it, especially since it used to be recognized as the cheaper, unauthentic one. Just a terrible decision by the NHL.

Reactions: joelef

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Nike doesn’t seem interested. More and more mainstream brands are either dropping or not caring about the nhl.

It embarrassing the no big brands want anything to do with the nhl. Gateraid, poweraid etc….
Yet you're missing all the big brand corporate sponsors to complain about a hydration sponsor that is inconsequential in the scheme of things. Do you honestly believe not having Gatorade as a sponsor is going to hurt the league in any way?

BMacLeafs

Feb 20, 2022
Yet you're missing all the big brand corporate sponsors to complain about a hydration sponsor that is inconsequential in the scheme of things. Do you honestly believe not having Gatorade as a sponsor is going to hurt the league in any way?

It shows that the NHL has no value to them and is not visible enough to be a worthy partner.

Reactions: joelef

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
It shows that the NHL has no value to them and is not visible enough to be a worthy partner.
And them not being a sponsor has no effect on the league. Gatorade is crap anyways and one of the worst sports drinks out there. You call BioSteel a third rate knock off yet players have been using it for over a decade and teams have been buying it for years for the players to use over Gatorade. If Gatorade doesn't think it's visible enough for them, so be it. The league now has a sponsor that wants to be a sponsor and with a product that teams have been paying for. The success of the league isn't dependent on which company provides hydration products to teams. Complaining about it is complaining just for the sake of it

Reactions: DoyleG and BTO

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
With fanatics previous deal was their a clause from maybe as a secondary manufacturer they had to make a set lower quality than the adidas replicas?

Like glued on crests and such so adidas still got the market for quality jerseys?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Ppl are overreacting so much. It’s hilarious. The league isn’t going to accept poor quality And it’s going to be in the same factory Currently. Relax. Breathe. Lol

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Ppl are overreacting so much. It’s hilarious. The league isn’t going to accept poor quality And it’s going to be in the same factory Currently. Relax. Breathe. Lol

..have you seen the quality of officiating? Video review? Scheduling? DoPS? Arena requirements? They will 100% accept poor quality if the money works, they don’t give a f***.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
On ice, yes the quality will be fine.

Literally everything sold to fans? Quality is already questionable and they just handed the reigns to the absolute worst offender out there.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Not when they're sponsored by Biosteel which is a far better brand at the moment.

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip
This is what happen when you still have guys like Lou Lamoriello in the league
What? This is called business

this is what happens when there is open bidding for a contract, you take whoever is going to pay the most,

NHL License like this, Fanactics is screwed and cant see them lasting for 10 years. If Adidas, Reebok, didnt last. Confirms its not Profitable.

Pretty sure Lou would want CCM/ Koho

Lou despises 3rd Jerseys

NHL wants who ever is gonna pay the most . Any company wants who will pay the most .

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Marketing and business, while I would in no way consider myself an expert (just like 99% of people here), are within my comprehension.

Yes, Fanatics sucks, I don't think otherwise.

But this remains an overreaction by many. It's not like they're going to spew out jerseys that tear apart from a simple touch to the players. It won't affect what really drives their business (broadcast deals) negatively. And while jersey sales might go down (and I say might, because Fanatics might be more willing to expand the customer base), it will most likely be made up by whatever that deal with Fanatics offers, monetarily, that other brands didn't.

(Also, internet is accessible to like 60-70% of the world population today from a quick search, it's not exactly a 1st world privilege anymore)

I love how you’re randomly commenting on “jersey sales” like that’s a pressing interest with posters here.

Are a lot of people here working for the NHL? Or just NHL fans who are potential jersey customers?

People are familiar with how terrible a company it is. You know Fanatics will design the jerseys too, right?

It can affect people’s fandom. If they stop buying merchandise they will have less attachment to the team. If they buy shitty merchandise they will have negative feelings towards the team.

That’s how customers work.

Sadly, this terrible marriage was the only workable solution with Fanatics already making the replicas.

Starting in 2017, the NHL was offering two versions of team jerseys: Authentic Adidas jerseys and cheaper Fanatics Breakaway replicas.

It seemed to sort of make sense. They started out with the Fanatics at $120 and the Adidas blank at $180 and customized at $250.

But if you go to NHL.com now they have
Women’s blank Fanatics
Women’s branded Fanatics (branded = pre-made with a name & number)
Men’s blank Fanatics
Men’s branded Fanatics
Men’s customized Fanatics

And then Adidas (blank, branded & customized)

The prices are all over the place as a customized main Fanatics are now available for $205 while customizable speciality Adidas “practice jerseys” (St Patty’s, Cancer, etc) are cheaper than that.

The branded Fanatics are $175 and they have them available with ~30 different players.

Only a couple of players are available in branded Adidas for every team. The pricing on Adidas Primegreen Authentic jerseys was $180 blank, $225 branded and $250 customized.

That’s a mess. And NHL.com doesn’t even make it clear exactly what the differences in quality between the jerseys are.

They just have these more expensive Adidas jerseys randomly mixed in with a sea of cheaper Fanatics variations.

It’s not surprising at all that Adidas didn’t find making NHL jerseys all that profitable considering how Fanatics drinks their milkshake all day long on NHL.com.

Why would a company want to design and exclusively make the expensive, well-made version of the NHL jerseys and then watch a different company sell the shit out of crappy bootleg versions on NHL.com?

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
What a shame, definitely not a good look.

10 years is a long term, how desperate are they to lock that in?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I love how you’re randomly commenting on “jersey sales” like that’s a pressing interest with posters here.

Are a lot of people here working for the NHL? Or just NHL fans who are potential jersey customers?

People are familiar with how terrible a company it is. You know Fanatics will design the jerseys too, right?

It can affect people’s fandom. If they stop buying merchandise they will have less attachment to the team. If they buy shitty merchandise they will have negative feelings towards the team.

That’s how customers work.

Sadly, this terrible marriage was the only workable solution with Fanatics already making the replicas.

Starting in 2017, the NHL was offering two versions of team jerseys: Authentic Adidas jerseys and cheaper Fanatics Breakaway replicas.

It seemed to sort of make sense. They started out with the Fanatics at $120 and the Adidas blank at $180 and customized at $250.

But if you go to NHL.com now they have
Women’s blank Fanatics
Women’s branded Fanatics (branded = pre-made with a name & number)
Men’s blank Fanatics
Men’s branded Fanatics
Men’s customized Fanatics

And then Adidas (blank, branded & customized)

The prices are all over the place as a customized main Fanatics are now available for $205 while customizable speciality Adidas “practice jerseys” (St Patty’s, Cancer, etc) are cheaper than that.

The branded Fanatics are $175 and they have them available with ~30 different players.

Only a couple of players are available in branded Adidas for every team. The pricing on Adidas Primegreen Authentic jerseys was $180 blank, $225 branded and $250 customized.

That’s a mess. And NHL.com doesn’t even make it clear exactly what the differences in quality between the jerseys are.

They just have these more expensive Adidas jerseys randomly mixed in with a sea of cheaper Fanatics variations.

It’s not surprising at all that Adidas didn’t find making NHL jerseys all that profitable considering how Fanatics drinks their milkshake all day long on NHL.com.

Why would a company want to design and exclusively make the expensive, well-made version of the NHL jerseys and then watch a different company sell the shit out of crappy bootleg versions on NHL.com?

What's even worse is the duality of the brand once they become they become the official "authentic" set. Now you have the older, crappy ones that are considered reps and the newer, "real" ones that are official. Joe Smoe that's ordering a jersey for his kid isn't going to know the difference except in price and lets be real the NHL isn't going to clarify for them.

Either they just looked over this terrible decision or every other brand just said not interested.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
NHL should have went with CCM or Bauer. At least they could make jerseys that would last a long time

Could they afford it anymore? I think the last jersey deal was $70m per season and those brands are probably only worth a few hundred million. Early 2000’s when those brands were under Reebok/Nike umbrellas seemed like the time for that to happen. Once they became independent again, that ship sailed.

Barry Tallackson

Mar 4, 2014
no they aren't. don't be silly. Fanatics are bad and poor quality, but they are still better looking than the fake jerseys out there. The worst thing about Fanatics other than the price is the single layer crests which still look 100x better than the puffy Chinese bullshit.
I am not being silly at all. My China jersey cost less than $30 and everything is stitched and has fighting strap.

Reactions: cavs

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Who cares, the point is that you're starting 2 steps behind of the terrible brand recognition that company has right now.

Even if they make a superior product than Adidas it'll take time for that reputation to go away and they won't be able to maximize their pricing until then.

Who is going to want to shell $200 to wear a 1st generation fanatics jersey off the bat, especially if design changes aren't going to be happening until 2026. If I already have an Adidas jersey, I definitely wouldn't want to switch over to a one with fanatics on it, especially since it used to be recognized as the cheaper, unauthentic one. Just a terrible decision by the NHL.
I have a Reebok Tarasenko jersey with actual stitching and the dog chewed out a giant chunk of the “1” when she was a puppy. Im still wearing that over Adidas and Fanatics.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Ppl are overreacting so much. It’s hilarious. The league isn’t going to accept poor quality.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Please….

They don’t give a shit about what a f***ing joke the on-ice product has become over the past 10 years. Or about the laughable officiating that ruins games night in night out.

So why should they care about uniforms??

All they give a f*** about is money and how they can get more if it from naive fans.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they went with Fanatics because they were the cheapest manufacturing option. :eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

Welfare league.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
This is the second worse option after Nike. NIke would have assured I'd never buy a jersey for as long as they were in charge. Fanatics was also not something I was looking forward do based on several bad things I've heard about their quality control.

In regards to people saying they're being made in the same facility in Canada, from what I read that's only the on ice jerseys. The authentic and replica are still going to be made overseas I'm sure.

For quality control I will sale the sizing issues with Adidas were pretty bad. It's not falling off and falling apart, but that's inexcusable for a product that costs that much.

One positive I could see is if the Fanatics replica are more like the authentic now that they both make them, like Reebok days. I don't buy the Fanatics replicas now, except for an Isles fisherman that isn't bad. But if it's like previous years where the replica didn't have the fight strap and not the same fit, but looks are almost identical, that's a win for my wallet.

A final thought is that the average hockey fan will buy the jerseys no matter what. Those in here who are more particular about their jerseys/teams are not in the majority, so it won't change anything. But I fully support those who won't buy the product, just because it won't change doesn't mean you should give your money to something you're against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad