Zayne Parekh vs Zeev Buium

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who is or will end up the better player?

• Total voters

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
LHD
So why did everyone skip Buium? Guessing they all see something they don't like

Guys getting spoken of like a generational talent, do they ever fall like this?
LHD. Same with Silayev and Dickinson.

I think that Buium is less risky than Parekh. It's really easy to talk yourself out of drafting the latter, but there will aways be the nagging thought that you are passing on the next great offensive Dman. You can pick his game apart, but the guy has decent size, is very athletic, smart, and has a fantastic feel for the offensive game. I think his skating can be fixed(it's decent, but could be really good), he will be big/strong enough once he matures...just not sure if he will ever play any defense.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yeah, last 15 years the only notable players are Dougie Hamilton, Mikael Sergachev, Aaron Ekblad and Thomas Harley. Thing is though, Parekh outproduced all these players by at least 38 points.

But if you make the cutoff just a few years further, that list ends up including PK Subban and Drew Doughty (who he outproduced by 22 points)

Again, there are more than a few duds. Most notable are ryan Ellis and Ryan Murphy who didn't amount to much but are just right below Parekh on the list and outproduced all the guys I mentioned in their 17 year old season

But my point still stands that his potential is massive, and his ceiling is certainly above someone like Krug.
Ellis? He was a legit #3, arguable decent #2 d-man in his prime. He just fell off.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, but if the Flames had Buium slightly ahead of Parekh but were worried he’d force his way out then it is an easy choice. Same agent as Gauthier.

I think this is the big one. Calgary keeps getting burned.

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023
I think something being overlooked here is that the Flames developmental team is good at instilling good defensive habits. Andersson, Kylington, and Poirier have all came into their AHL system with huge questions about their ability to defend and then rounded (or are rounding) out their games effectively. I think Parekh will do well working with that same development team.

Reactions: CF84 and HitterD

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
I think something being overlooked here is that the Flames developmental team is good at instilling good defensive habits. Andersson, Kylington, and Poirier have all came into their AHL system with huge questions about their ability to defend and then rounded (or are rounding) out their games effectively. I think Parekh will do well working with that same development team.
Ryan Huska is a huge part of that. Kelowna was a defence man factory while he was the head coach there

Reactions: DropIt and DaveG

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
I don't think that's as true as you make it sound. If it was we wouldn't have so many elite offensive defenseman who can't play a lick of defense.
Yes, that’s true. But trying to teach an offensive guy how to play good D is easier than trying to teach Chris Tanev how to wheel and deal. Offensive skill can’t be taught.

For the record, I’m Buium over Parekh

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I don't understand this one or the other thing. I think these guys are in the same tier and will end up as roughly equal in quality. This isn't highlander.

As for Parekh and his defense: I get the sense that people either feel he isn't willing to grow his defensive game or that he is incapable of doing so.

How in the world would you possibly know he's not interested or willing to get better defensively? So instead one would say he's willing but not capable. And to that I say someone as smart as he is certainly has the ability to learn/adapt.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Can’t really speak to Parekh. The knock on Buium was always going to be can he play his style at the NHL level since he’s not big (not saying he’s small) and not an elite skater. I think that’s why he wasn’t top guy after Celebrini.

That said I didn’t want to like Buium this year. Not my style of D. But he blew me away every single game. I think he’s going to be a stud, maybe a star.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I don't understand this one or the other thing. I think these guys are in the same tier and will end up as roughly equal in quality. This isn't highlander.
Pitting one thing against another has always been a fun pasttime for many. It's not that serious.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I get that. But realistically there isn't really a BPA once you get past the first 2 or 3 picks. There are tiers of players that have the same value.
I would seriously doubt that these 2 are that similar in value in 10 years, even if they’re both great players.

Hence the exercise. It’s “who would you draft if you were an NHL team” which is basically “who is the better player in a decade”.

Always fun to have an opinion on what could happen this early and then see what ends up actually happening. And then compare the two as to why you were right or wrong.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It’s far easier to teach a guy like Parekh to defend at a reasonable level than it is to teach anyone to do what Parekh does offensively.
Yeah, but part of what he does offensively is pinch incessantly, and leave his position to rush the puck or just plain move up in the play, with no regard for getting back in time. He plays as a rover, basically.

Lots of dmen would get gaudier offensive stats if they ignored defense.

Other flaws in his game are a lack of strength, and mediocre skating technique. All of these things will be exposed in the pros, unless he really works to improve on them.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I would seriously doubt that these 2 are that similar in value in 10 years, even if they’re both great players.

Hence the exercise. It’s “who would you draft if you were an NHL teamwhich is basically “who is the better player in a decade”.

Always fun to have an opinion on what could happen this early and then see what ends up actually happening. And then compare the two as to why you were right or wrong.
Ah. I see the philosophical difference here. To me, those aren't the same question. A winger could be the better player in a decade but a slightly worse defenseman may serve you better in a decade.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Ah. I see the philosophical difference here. To me, those aren't the same question. A winger could be the better player in a decade but a slightly worse defense may serve you better in a decade.
They’re both defensemen, who will be relied upon for some degree of offense.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Can’t really speak to Parekh. The knock on Buium was always going to be can he play his style at the NHL level since he’s not big (not saying he’s small) and not an elite skater. I think that’s why he wasn’t top guy after Celebrini.

That said I didn’t want to like Buium this year. Not my style of D. But he blew me away every single game. I think he’s going to be a stud, maybe a star.
Well, he's bigger than Makar and Hughes, two recent Norris winners. He is 6', and might end up taller.

Buium is a decent skater, but needs to get faster, or at least more acceleration. Not too worried about that, as that usually happens as prospects develop/mature from the time they are drafted till the time they get to the NHL. The other thing flaw that i see is that he is just an adequate defender. I've seen him described as a shutdown D by some, and I don't understand what the hell they are talking about. He's ok, nothing more. Like most offensive Dmen, he saves his energy for when he has the puck.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

As for Parekh and his defense: I get the sense that people either feel he isn't willing to grow his defensive game or that he is incapable of doing so.

How in the world would you possibly know he's not interested or willing to get better defensively? So instead one would say he's willing but not capable. And to that I say someone as smart as he is certainly has the ability to learn/adapt.
There have been plenty of very smart defenseman who have struggled to play proper defense despite their best efforts. It's not just about a willingness to improve, a lot of it is instinct that can be very hard to overwrite. And assuming you're able to do so, there is the risk that the defensive adjustments needed to be an NHL player significantly handicap the player's offensive game. Parekh makes a living with his ability to walk the blue line and exploit space in the neutral zone - both areas where he'll be asked to make nontrivial adjustments to his decision making.

There can also be aspects of a player's personality that can cause issues - Parekh has all the talent in the world but is extremely soft and passive, is that a switch he'll be able to find? Some players are never able to bring the necessary intensity to their defensive game because its just not in their nature. Dougie Hamilton is a great example of this.

I don't think any of this means that Parekh is condemned to be a weak defender for his entire career, but there are valid questions that he will need to answer that have nothing to do with his willingness to improve.

I have similar concerns with Buium, but these issues stand out much more with Parekh IMO.

Reactions: Felidae

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Buium has the safer floor, so without seeing anything else but what they’ve currently done he is the clear answer here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad