Zayne Parekh vs Zeev Buium

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who is or will end up the better player?

• Total voters

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Yeah, last 15 years the only notable players are Dougie Hamilton, Mikael Sergachev, Aaron Ekblad and Thomas Harley. Thing is though, Parekh outproduced all these players by at least 38 points.

But if you make the cutoff just a few years further, that list ends up including PK Subban and Drew Doughty (who he outproduced by 22 points)

Again, there are more than a few duds. Most notable are ryan Ellis and Ryan Murphy who didn't amount to much but are just right below Parekh on the list and outproduced all the guys I mentioned in their 17 year old season.
Ryan Ellis a dud? Guessing you didn’t watch Nashville much or are under the age of 24.

Bond

May 10, 2012
My Flames list was Catton, Buium, and then Parekh. Salty they lost Catton right before their pick and would have preferred Buium but will see how it turns out

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm a Flames fan. Bear in mind I took out the Russian players as I just didn't know enough about them. My top 4 in this draft overall was:

1. Celebrini
2. Catton
3. Buium
4. Parekh

I had Buium ahead of Parekh, but I had Parekh ahead of his draft position. I think those who are calling Parekh to be Tyson Barrie are not very good at evaluation. I'd say I know the WHL prospects very, very well. I wouldn't claim any special knowledge on any other leagues. I preferred Parekh over Yakemchuk by a massive amount. A bit over Iginla and Lindstrom. The amount I had Buium over Parekh was small enough that I was fine either way given the Flames have lost 2 high end D prospects from the college system.

Reactions: Felidae

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
So why did everyone skip Buium? Guessing they all see something they don't like

Guys getting spoken of like a generational talent, do they ever fall like this?

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think they’re comparable but Zeev has done it a higher level so I will lean him. Parekh may have a higher offensive ceiling, actually, but hasn’t been able to defend at an average level in even the OHL.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

quick google says they're both 6'. Not sure about combine measurements though

Saw a post somewhere on here that pointed out that Levshunov, Yakemchuk and Parekh are all RHS, then the LHD went in order of height/size

Not sure if that's actually why it went that way, but knowing NHL GM's, wouldn't be surprising at all if that's it

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

That’s a very good question. Probably more valid than all the hype he is getting here.

• Haha
Reactions: IceBoxHockey

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016

I mean tbh, considering both Parekh and Buium had historic seasons in their league for their age group, you'd think they'd be ranked higher. Wouldn't be the first time players should have gone higher than were they were drafted.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I mean tbh, considering both Parekh and Buium had historic seasons in their league for their age group, you'd think they'd be ranked higher. Wouldn't be the first time players should have gone higher than were they were drafted.

Flames are talking like they didn't think they'd ever get Parekh. But the flaw with him is pretty obvious, he doesn't play actual defense at a high level.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Drafts are weird. Seattle could've had Catton #1 and Buium #2 when they picked. Then Calgary had Parekh #1 and Buium #2, then NJ. That's all it takes.

The way Brackett and Guerin talked about Buium after the 1st round, I would not be surprised if he was in their top 5.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

The scouts have seen the two play and rated them accordingly.

What percentage of posters who voted in this thread do you think have actually seen Parekh or Buium play (minus highlights)? 10% ??? TBH, I doubt it's that high. And, if they have seen them play, it wasn't much.

In other words, most have NO idea. You're giving too much credit to the dummies (myself included) in this forum.

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Drafts are weird. Seattle could've had Catton #1 and Buium #2 when they picked. Then Calgary had Parekh #1 and Buium #2, then NJ. That's all it takes.

The way Brackett and Guerin talked about Buium after the 1st round, I would not be surprised if he was in their top 5.

I've also heard that most GM's were shocked when Ottawa grabbed Yakemchuk at 7. Flames had him as a mid 1st rounder.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I’d take Buium but this is just talking in lingo terms.

Parekh could be Erik Karlsson.

Buium could become a Cam York.

I know which one I’d rather have.
Most years there is a Canadian D-Man vs American D-Man HFB battle before and after the draft.

I've been around long enough to remember when it was Ekblad vs Hannifin - even though they were one year apart. Then there was Nurse vs Jones. Drysdale vs Sanderson.

If we were to go back we'd see that most of the posts in those "Who is Better" threads were inaccurate / pure garbage - with Canadian posters backing the Canadian player and American posters backing the U.S. player.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

I agree. Buium ended up being picked 12th and was the 6th dman drafted. Parekh was the 3rd dman drafted. I trust Craig Conroy's and Todd Button's opinion more than the opinion of any poster on HF.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

1) Buium's handiness.
2) Teams skip on players all the time. Classic example for Minnesota, everyone skipped on Boldy. Everyone skipped over Wally.
3) GMs tend to overthink things.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2