Proposal: Zaitsev to the Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Flyers are swimming in LTIR, and I can't imagine they have any pretenses of winning this year. Might be nice to get a warm body ahead of York so he's not getting reamed by the best opposition players every night. No Couts will make for some lopsided possession.

Zaitsev has 2 years left at 4.5m. He's a bottom pairing defenceman on a most teams, maybe a 7-8 on a good team. The 1st would be a gamble - how much higher will OTT finish this year? Or will they unexpectedly finish in the lottery again?

Ottawa gets:
PTBNL

Philly gets:
Zaitsev
Ottawa's 1st 2023

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Does Ottawa need the 2022 cap space? Seems too late for this deal for their purposes.

It’s reasonable cost as a 2 year dump but he’ll be a bit cheaper to dump next summer.

Reactions: jmelm

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
This doesn't really make any sense from a Sens perspective. No rush to dump Zaitsev whatsoever, cost to dump will be lower next year, and regardless Sens aren't giving up a 1st.

I could see something around JVR with Ottawa giving up a 2nd pick or equivalent prospect. That's about it. And no, Philly doesnt need to get rid of JVR at all anymore... but Ottawa doesn't need to get rid of Zaitsev, either, and trading him next offseason should be much easier, especially after his bonus is paid.
Don't the Flyers have Provorov and Sanheim on the left side ahead of York?
Zaitsev is RD

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
don't see how its worth it to Ottawa to sacrifice a 1st,
they have ~$5M Cap Space, and just 1 unsigned player, who is coming off his ELC and destined for a bridge deal

i also don't think Zaitsev is a fit w Torts ...

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa has lots of cap space left heading into the season.

Ottawa already paid Zaitsev his 2M signing bonus this off-season. Zaitsev is now owed 2.5M real dollars for this season. People can debate if Zaitsev is worth 2.5M but with no free agents left to sign, the Sens having issues with their D and Zaitsev still fitting in as a top 6/7 Dman I don't see him going anywhere.

Ottawa will revisit dumping Zaitsev next off-season prior to collecting his next signing bonus.

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
Flyers are swimming in LTIR, and I can't imagine they have any pretenses of winning this year. Might be nice to get a warm body ahead of York so he's not getting reamed by the best opposition players every night. No Couts will make for some lopsided possession.

Zaitsev has 2 years left at 4.5m. He's a bottom pairing defenceman on a most teams, maybe a 7-8 on a good team. The 1st would be a gamble - how much higher will OTT finish this year? Or will they unexpectedly finish in the lottery again?

Ottawa gets:
PTBNL

Philly gets:
Zaitsev
Ottawa's 1st 2023

Serious question. I swear. 😇
You know the man they call "Chuck Fletcher"?

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I could see paying to move Zaitsev as part of a bigger deal to upgrade defence, but I don't see Ottawa sending an unprotected first to get out of him at this point with training camp already started.

Does Ottawa need the 2022 cap space? Seems too late for this deal for their purposes.

It’s reasonable cost as a 2 year dump but he’ll be a bit cheaper to dump next summer.
I don't think Ottawa would be interested or motivated to do this. They still have about $5.7 million in cap space this year.

I think they will keep Zaitsev and give him easier minutes on the 3rd pair (might be spitting that role with other younger players as well). They can try to trade him again, either at the trade deadline this year, or in the upcoming offseason (might have to pay his signing bonus).

Had to look up PTBNL. Could have typed "future considerations" - not that hard.

Reactions: Mark Stones Spleen

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Send Zaits + 1st to Chicago for Murphy or someone with lower cost who has upside for the Sens. Please?

Can't see Philly doing this. Everyone in that organization seems to be fighting for their job and hasn't committed to a rebuild/tank. They'll try to win to survive this season, despite what they should do.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Sen's don't need the cap space, I would rather keep or waive him then give up a 1st in the deepest draft in years when we aren't even guaranteed to make the playoffs.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Seems like all responses have been the same (so far). Probably should close the thread as the premise in the OP wasn't well thought out.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
True true, I was more responding to "Might be nice to get a warm body ahead of York so he's not getting reamed by the best opposition players every night."
Ah, makes sense.
Send Zaits + 1st to Chicago for Murphy or someone with lower cost who has upside for the Sens. Please?

Can't see Philly doing this. Everyone in that organization seems to be fighting for their job and hasn't committed to a rebuild/tank. They'll try to win to survive this season, despite what they should do.
I would do Zaitsev + 1st for Murphy, so long as that first is top 10 protected. Big fan of Murphy, though. Before the uncertainty around Formenton emerged, I was targeting Formenton + Zaistev for Murphy, and I would have valued Formenton around a mid 1st.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Ah, makes sense.

I would do Zaitsev + 1st for Murphy, so long as that first is top 10 protected. Big fan of Murphy, though. Before the uncertainty around Formenton emerged, I was targeting Formenton + Zaistev for Murphy, and I would have valued Formenton around a mid 1st.
Done deal from this end. Hawks wouldn't do it with Form + Zaits, as the 1st just holds too much value to them, even top-10 protected.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Done deal from this end. Hawks wouldn't do it with Form + Zaits, as the 1st just holds too much value to them, even top-10 protected.
Makes sense. It is definitely a steep price to pay, as I am sure teams will get impact players all through the top 40 of this draft (and beyond). But I think Murphy would be an awesome addition.

What's your view of Murphy? Health, ability, projection, etc. I'd be lying if I said I've watched much of the Hawks these last few years, but my impression of Murph has always been really positive.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Ottawa gets:
PTBNL

Philly gets:
Zaitsev
Ottawa's 1st 2023
Lol

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I don't think Ottawa would be interested or motivated to do this. They still have about $5.7 million in cap space this year.

I think they will keep Zaitsev and give him easier minutes on the 3rd pair (might be spitting that role with other younger players as well). They can try to trade him again, either at the trade deadline this year, or in the upcoming offseason (might have to pay his signing bonus).

Had to look up PTBNL. Could have typed "future considerations" - not that hard.
please give away your 1st round pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad