Player Discussion Zack MacEwen signed for 3 years @ $775,000

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah but he was "free" for a bit though, after Melnyk passed away and until Andlauer got a hold of the team... I think it was for like 2 years?

It certainly artificially extended his tenure, but once Melnyk was gone, he'd lost his patron.

It's fun to dunk on Dorion, but when you look around the league and see teams like Columbus and Montreal that went decades without hitting on a first round pick, it still could have been worse.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It certainly artificially extended his tenure, but once Melnyk was gone, he'd lost his patron.

It's fun to dunk on Dorion, but when you look around the league and see teams like Columbus and Montreal that went decades without hitting on a first round pick, it still could have been worse.

Yeah but missing on first round picks have unfortunately been far from being the only problem with Dorion...

Reactions: OD99 and DrEasy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I get it sucks to pay a 1-way to sit in the AHL, but hopefully Andlauer will pony up to let it happen.

He definitely doesn't deserve an NHL spot at this point. Let him ride the buses for the rest of his contract. That will do more for the culture of the team than keeping a guy in Ottawa that doesn't fulfill his job.

Earn it, or get comfortable in Belleville.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
WTF is the point of he does nothing last night. Once Jackeye was out he could have run absolutely anyone and let them know it will be tit for tat…but we needed the two points?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
WTF is the point of he does nothing last night. Once Jackeye was out he could have run absolutely anyone and let them know it will be tit for tat…but we needed the two points?
He’s simply not that guy. Makes me believe Dorion thought he was getting a different kind of player. When you see he gave him a long term contract …

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Because good goons are too expensive & are coveted by every NHL team. Crouse LW makes $4.3 mil & Wilson makes $6.5 mil.

Those guys have also scored 20-25 goal seasons and even greater paces.

We don't need a second line fighter, we already have a top 6 fighter in Brady. We need a bottom 6 fighter. Someone who pots 10 goals a year and costs 2-2.5 mil... Like a modern day Neil.

I see other teams have 3rd and 4th line guys who can contribute on a regular shift and can also beat some guys up occasionally. Maybe we should try to prioritize getting 1 or 2 of those.

Did anyone else see the camera zoom in on him on the bench and it looked like he was arguing with green.

Do you think green wanted him to go be tough and he didn't want to? Or the other way around? Or neither lol

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
We don't need a second line fighter, we already have a top 6 fighter in Brady. We need a bottom 6 fighter. Someone who pots 10 goals a year and costs 2-2.5 mil... Like a modern day Neil.
Ostapchuk. Except he costs less than $1 million. He tuned up Rempe pretty good in the WHL.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Ostapchuk. Except he costs less than $1 million. He tuned up Rempe pretty good in the WHL.

I wonder if that's just exposing him for being a bambie?

Did ostapchuk fight anyone of note in the A last year?

Looking at fight card , ingues mailleux

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah but he was "free" for a bit though, after Melnyk passed away and until Andlauer got a hold of the team... I think it was for like 2 years?
That's when he did his most damaging work. The Debrincat, Chychrun and Talbot trades come to mind. Sacrificing the entire future for players on expiring deals. Well before this team was ready to compete. You make those tradess to push your team over the top. When they are close, not when you're a lottery team. On top of that 2 of them were redundant players with the current roster.

There is no point he was ever good at his job. There was never a stretch of lots of good moves in a row.

All time bad GM. I called it a long time ago. Brutal for a fanbase that deserved better.

Macewen should simply just get cut. Not complicated. The way I see it he has 2 games to play a wildly physical game and he has to win atleast 1 fight.

I'd like to see Ostapchuk drop em here.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigRig4

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I wonder if that's just exposing him for being a bambie?

Did ostapchuk fight anyone of note in the A last year?

Looking at fight card , ingues mailleux
It doesn't matter if he isn't the most frequent fighter or the best fighter. As long as he is willing to fight when needed, which MacEwan doesn't seem to. MacEwan is redundant because of Cousins, a far better agitator.

Ostapchuk fought 3 times last year in the AHL against guys with a toilet seat logo, I like that.

Edit: I watched Zach's last 7 fights, and he went 6-0-1, the kid's a pretty good scrapper.

I predict MacEwan is sent to the AHL and both Jenik and Ostapchuk make the team. Their playing styles fit the Staios model.

I wish there was room for Gaudette as well, although perhaps his AHL scoring doesn't translate to the NHL and he needs to be in the top 6, which he isn't good enough for. Can he play 4th line, or will he be useless like Kubalik?

Maybe it'll be Jenik and Gaudette, and Ostapchuk will be the 1st callup when there's an injury, as he can't be lost on waivers.

Last edited:

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Because good goons are too expensive & are coveted by every NHL team. Crouse LW makes $4.3 mil & Wilson makes $6.5 mil.
Crouse is a solid player who can play up and down the lineup, and scores over 20 goals a season. Wilson has a terrible contract for how often injured he is, but why even have goons on your squad if most good teams don't have them? Why go for the lowest-quality player you can find if you need to have that element on your roster?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It doesn't matter if he isn't the most frequent fighter or the best fighter. As long as he is willing to fight when needed, which MacEwan doesn't seem to. MacEwan is redundant because of Cousins, a far better agitator.

Ostapchuk fought 3 times last year in the AHL against guys with a toilet seat logo, I like that.

Edit: I watched Zach's last 7 fights, and he went 6-0-1, the kid's a pretty good scrapper.

I predict MacEwan is sent to the AHL and both Jenik and Ostapchuk make the team. Their playing styles fit the Staios model.

I wish there was room for Gaudette as well, although perhaps his AHL scoring doesn't translate to the NHL and he needs to be in the top 6, which he isn't good enough for. Can he play 4th line, or will he be useless like Kubalik?

Maybe it'll be Jenik and Gaudette, and Ostapchuk will be the 1st callup when there's an injury, as he can't be lost on waivers.

Oh I agree. I'm just saying he might not be enough. Even with ostapchuk I'd want more of a heavier more frequent fighter.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

if ostapchuk doesnt have a regular spot i dont think he is making the team, both due to contract status and because if he isnt getting regular minutes there is very little benefit for him

i think jenik ends up with the 4C spot on a very short leash and i think ostapchuk or crookshank end up being the first call up depending on if we need a center or winger replaced.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

How did the Canadiens go decades without hitting on a first round pick? You understand a decade is ten years right?

Which stretch of ten years day you think the Canadiens went without a single 1st rounder hitting?

In the 2020's, you've got Slafksovky and Guhle (so far), in the 20teens, you have Cole Caufield and Mikhail Sergachev, in the 2000's you have Carey Price and Max Paccioretty. The 90's are definitely bleak, but Saku Koivu was a big win.

Where are finding this 20 year stretch where the Canadiens don't hit on a 1st rounder?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad