Player Discussion Zack MacEwen signed for 3 years @ $775,000

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Why is Zach Macewen even on this team? What is he doing if he’s not sticking up for teammates. Can anybody think of 1 thing this has done ever, even a play he’s made?

This guy has gone full Colin Greening, he got his contract and now he’s checked out completely from competitive hockey.

Earn your keep

Reactions: senswon and NyQuil

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
Why is Zach Macewen even on this team? What is he doing if he’s not sticking up for teammates. Can anybody think of 1 thing this has done ever, even a play he’s made?

This guy has gone full Colin Greening, he got his contract and now he’s checked out completely from competitive hockey.

Earn your keep
Nope. Nothing.

Would Anaheim take him for Johnston? He at least knows his role and I'd rather carry a 13 fwd that will drop the gloves when needed.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

He has always been a pretty bad NHL player. It's just Dorion and his pro scouting staff that couldn't scout to save their lives

This guy doesn't deserve an NHL roster spot at this point.

He's in the league to hit and fight. He does neither. He's Zach Sanford - big, mobile, and no pulse.

Much less talented than Sanford though

Gaudette should be the extra fwd...he can kill penalties, had 44 goals in the AHL last year, and is useful on the PP.

Yeah, I'd rather the 4th line being

Cousins - Jenik - Gaudette
Gregor

Gaudette seems to be stronger and to have improved his overall game. Maybe he can finally be a NHL player. That 4th line could provide offense and maybe some sustained pressure instead of being stuck in our zone

He probably didn't even think he'd get this contract - three years of guaranteed money for a guy like this is not common.

So he's playing with house money in a way.

My avatar says it all

Reactions: Tuna99

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Nope. Nothing.

Would Anaheim take him for Johnston? He at least knows his role and I'd rather carry a 13 fwd that will drop the gloves when needed.

This type of thinking.

MacEwan is a fake tough guy. He has some skill and puts up numbers at the AHL level so he thinks he can finesse at the NHL level.

I would rather trade him for an overall worse hockey player...as in, one who doesn't have the skill to put up big numbers in the AHL, but knows his role, and fights well.

Keep him as the 13th forward and insert him against certain teams.

They don't need to be able to make plays or play PK. Just be a good enough skater to get big hits in and a good fighter. Can be stone hands for all I care.

Reactions: Blotto71

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He has always been a pretty bad NHL player. It's just Dorion and his pro scouting staff that couldn't scout to save their lives

Much less talented than Sanford though

Yeah, I'd rather the 4th line being

Cousins - Jenik - Gaudette
Gregor

Gaudette seems to be stronger and to have improved his overall game. Maybe he can finally be a NHL player. That 4th line could provide offense and maybe some sustained pressure instead of being stuck in our zone

My avatar says it all

I wouldn't say much less skilled than Sanford, though I would agree visibly less skilled...as in less razzle dazzle...

But I would say production wise, they're very similar. Sanford posts slightly better numbers in the NHL because of more opportunities up in the lineup with skilled players.

But compare their AHL numbers where they're both expected to be good players driving the play.

Sanford: 126-35-32-67 (0.53)
MacEwan: 167-43-53-106 (0.63)

Sanford has better stick handling skills and it doesn't result in better production most of the time unless he's piggybacking off icetime with better players.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
This type of thinking.

MacEwan is a fake tough guy. He has some skill and puts up numbers at the AHL level so he thinks he can finesse at the NHL level.

I would rather trade him for an overall worse hockey player...as in, one who doesn't have the skill to put up big numbers in the AHL, but knows his role, and fights well.

Keep him as the 13th forward and insert him against certain teams.

They don't need to be able to make plays or play PK. Just be a good enough skater to get big hits in and a good fighter. Can be stone hands for all I care.
Absolutely agree. There will still be nights Brady would take matters into his own hands, but the team needs someone that can square off with plugs like Xhekaj - really don't need Brady getting injured dealing with that stuff.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I wouldn't say much less skilled than Sanford, though I would agree visibly less skilled...as in less razzle dazzle...

But I would say production wise, they're very similar. Sanford posts slightly better numbers in the NHL because of more opportunities up in the lineup with skilled players.

But compare their AHL numbers where they're both expected to be good players driving the play.

Sanford: 126-35-32-67 (0.53)
MacEwan: 167-43-53-106 (0.63)

Sanford has better stick handling skills and it doesn't result in better production most of the time unless he's piggybacking off icetime with better players.

Despite being more skilled, Sanford is much more enigmatic and way less consistent. If he could play like he can almost every game, he'd be a NHL player.

MacEwen is consistent, he is a plug at the NHL level in every game.

Reactions: Blotto71

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Despite being more skilled, Sanford is much more enigmatic and way less consistent. If he could play like he can almost every game, he'd be a NHL player.

MacEwen is consistent, he is a plug at the NHL level in every game.

Yeah. I guess I see the similarities that they're both big bodies who produce in the AHL and play like they think they're good enough to make the NHL based on skill.

They're both not good enough to play in the top 9 and both not mean or tough enough to play on the 4th line.

They obviously aren't the exact same player and I agree Sanford has more puck skills, but the similarities are abundant.

They both don't have playmaking abilities. Neither have a good shot. They're both decent skaters for big bodies. They both suck at fighting. They both shy away from making big hits.

I wouldn't want either player near my team. Players need to know their roles.

MacEwan after signing was non stop talking about knowing his role and changing his game to stay in the NHL...all words. No actions.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah. I guess I see the similarities that they're both big bodies who produce in the AHL and play like they think they're good enough to make the NHL based on skill.

They're both not good enough to play in the top 9 and both not mean or tough enough to play on the 4th line.

They obviously aren't the exact same player and I agree Sanford has more puck skills, but the similarities are abundant.

They both don't have playmaking abilities. Neither have a good shot. They're both decent skaters for big bodies. They both suck at fighting. They both shy away from making big hits.

I wouldn't want either player near my team. Players need to know their roles.

MacEwan after signing was non stop talking about knowing his role and changing his game to stay in the NHL...all words. No actions.

That's what I am saying. They're both not NHL players going forward but for different reasons. One doesn't bring anything in particular, and the other one is not capable of having good games on a regular basis, which is not ideal for a marginal player

I don't blame MacEwen for anything, he took the contract like we all would have. Almost a miracle he was offered that contract. Take it and run, Santa Dorion had a limited life shell.

Reactions: jbeck5

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
That's what I am saying. They're both not NHL players going forward but for different reasons. One doesn't bring anything in particular, and the other one is not capable of having good games on a regular basis, which is not ideal for a marginal player

I don't blame MacEwen for anything, he took the contract like we all would have. Almost a miracle he was offered that contract. Take it and run, Santa Dorion had a limited life shell.

It looks to me like he got his three year contract from the idiot Dorion and decided he was done fighting. As if he got paid and decided he wasn't going to put his body on the line anymore.

Of course, it doesn't help that when he does fight he's terrible at it.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It looks to me like he got his three year contract from the idiot Dorion and decided he was done fighting. As if he got paid and decided he wasn't going to put his body on the line anymore.

Of course, it doesn't help that when he does fight he's terrible at it.

Made me look at his Fight Cards. It looks like he fought 12 times in 2021-22 (75 games) and 7 times in 2022-23 (56 games)

Dorion and some of his staff probably got enamored by that. But did they push the analysis farther? He had terrible metrics

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad