Zach Hyman most goals in a playoff run since Joe Sakic

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Hyman is a very, special player and criminally underrated.

Yes he's soaking up McDavid points, but Hyman plays the same way, every second, of every game, and that standard provided a direction for this team

Someone needs to make a montage of Hyman saying after every loss: "we play our best when we get the puck behind them and are moving our feet."

The Oilers are beating the panthers by getting the puck deep and being faster to pucks. Only Hyman has been banging that drum since he got here. It's all he has talked about

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
I don't agree that McDavid is better, but if one were to believe and argue the idea that the Oilers are a 2 or Juan Guy team (not accusing you of that, I just had a puff is all) they would sort of have to be inclined to think that McDavid is going to be better than Gretzky too, no?

Not really sure Mexicans make great hockey players.

Last edited:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Let's not pretend Hyman was a 50 goal guy just waiting to burst out. He was a 40 point guy even with Matthews on his line at times. Matthews is not a great playmaker and isn't the type to make his linemates better per se, but McDavid is the epitome of that. He got 100 assists this year, the most anyone has gotten in a season in 33 years. Someone had to be the beneficiary of that. Granted, Hyman does the right sort of things to be on McDavid's line, it is a good compliment, but he is still a 40 point guy even so much as not being on McDavid's line. I don't think we should pretend they let a guy like this go and he was just a 54 goal man waiting to burst out!
Understatement of the year.

Regardless of the McDavid effect, Hyman is worth $5M. He'd probably get 30 goals playing with Draisaitl.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
46 of Hyman's 70 have been assisted by McDavid so far this season.

It's really a winning combination. McDavid hasn't been able to shoot the puck this season (his shot is basically gone, due to injury I guess) so Hyman picked up the slack and has banged in the goals instead.

But a bit disingenuous to compare him to Kunitz. Hyman scored 90 RS goals the past two seasons, rather more than Kunitz ever came close to.

The really surprising thing, though, is that Hyman has turned 32 as he's doing this. Not that 32 is old nowadays, but you'd think a rugged winger who gets the abuse (every single game) that he gets would start breaking down by now.

The only past Oiler I could compare Hyman to would be Craig Simpson... a 2nd overall pick who was once second in goals to Mario Lemieux, but whose career was basically over at age 25 due to the massive abuse he took in scoring his goals around that goal-line...

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
In a year where McDavid has 40+ points in the playoffs, no other skater on his team is eligible for the CS.

lol what are you talking about? Neither Hyman or Bouchard are hitting their current plateaus without McDavid. That’s a testament to how historically elite McD is, not a slight to them.
It blows my mind that people can't admit that the vast majority of Hyman's increased production since he left Toronto is a function of playing with McDavid.

Here's a map of Hyman's first 40 goals this season. He ain't driving the plays that resulted in these goals:laugh::

Hyman plays a very nice game which complements McDavid. He retrieves pucks. He is a very effective front-of-the-net presence. There are other things that he adds as well. But he is no more than a 25 goal scorer on Columbus or most other teams. That's just the reality. Much like RNHs 104 points season last year was more of a function of Draisatl and McDavid than his normal scoring ability.

I wouldn't argue that Bouchard isn't another McDavid/Draisatl beneficiary, but I am pretty sure that he puts up 65 points or so this past season with almost anyone. That shot!

I'm rooting hard for the Oilers and would be just fine if Hyman scored a hat trick in game 7. But it wouldn't change the fact that his dramatically increased productivity over the past few years is mainly a by product of a player who will now be in any realistic top 5-7 players of all time discussion.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
It blows my mind that people can't admit that the vast majority of Hyman's increased production since he left Toronto is a function of playing with McDavid.

Here's a map of Hyman's first 40 goals this season. He ain't driving the plays that resulted in these goals:laugh::

Hyman plays a very nice game which complements McDavid. He retrieves pucks. He is a very effective front-of-the-net presence. There are other things that he adds as well. But he is no more than a 25 goal scorer on Columbus or most other teams. That's just the reality. Much like RNHs 104 points season last year was more of a function of Draisatl and McDavid than his normal scoring ability.

I wouldn't argue that Bouchard isn't another McDavid/Draisatl beneficiary, but I am pretty sure that he puts up 65 points or so this past season with almost anyone. That shot!

I'm rooting hard for the Oilers and would be just fine if Hyman scored a hat trick in game 7. But it wouldn't change the fact that his dramatically increased productivity over the past few years is mainly a by product of a player who will now be in any realistic top 5-7 players of all time discussion.

100%. I don’t know why it’s such a terrible thing to point out. This isn’t saying Hyman’s not a good player. Not every player can play on a superstar’s wing and have the success he’s having. But Hyman is absolutely not putting up anywhere close to these numbers without McDavid, and people are confused if they think Hyman is improving McDavid’s game to any extent.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
You act childish because you're jealous?
All the digs on TML not paying him are also childish.
This is like Foegele lighting it up for his next team or Desharnais walking away from Oilers and becoming a top pairing Dman elsewhere.
Every Hyman thread has these childish takes against TML. How about we just move on.

And I am an Oilers fan!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad