Zach Hyman most goals in a playoff run since Joe Sakic

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
not going to say it will happen...but if the oiler win game 7 and Hyman wins the Conn--the Leaf board and this board will be an interesting read
In a year where McDavid has 40+ points in the playoffs, no other skater on his team is eligible for the CS.
You act childish because you're jealous
lol what are you talking about? Neither Hyman or Bouchard are hitting their current plateaus without McDavid. That’s a testament to how historically elite McD is, not a slight to them.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Let's not pretend Hyman was a 50 goal guy just waiting to burst out. He was a 40 point guy even with Matthews on his line at times. Matthews is not a great playmaker and isn't the type to make his linemates better per se, but McDavid is the epitome of that. He got 100 assists this year, the most anyone has gotten in a season in 33 years. Someone had to be the beneficiary of that. Granted, Hyman does the right sort of things to be on McDavid's line, it is a good compliment, but he is still a 40 point guy even so much as not being on McDavid's line. I don't think we should pretend they let a guy like this go and he was just a 54 goal man waiting to burst out!

Let's not pretend like he was a 40 point guy either. He had 21 goals, 37 points in 51 games and 15 goals and 33 points in 43 games the two seasons prior to Edmonton which are roughly 30 goal, 55 point paces. He's gotten better every year in Edmonton. There's some McDavid inflation but he's a beast of a player who deserves more respect than being called a McDavid leech.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
In a year where McDavid has 40+ points in the playoffs, no other skater on his team is eligible for the CS.

lol what are you talking about? Neither Hyman or Bouchard are hitting their current plateaus without McDavid. That’s a testament to how historically elite McD is, not a slight to them.
Even great players need support. It is no coincidence that McDavid’s points totals jumped when Hyman came aboard. To say this is all to McDavid is not accurate nor fair either. Both have benefited from eqch other. This is a testament that maybe both are just good at what they do. I like what a poster said earlier, even when the Oilers were going bad, Hyman never had a bad game. He works so hard and refuses to give up. He almost always makes a line better.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Let's not pretend like he was a 40 point guy either. He had 21 goals, 37 points in 51 games and 15 goals and 33 points in 43 games the two seasons prior to Edmonton which are roughly 30 goal, 55 point paces. He's gotten better every year in Edmonton. There's some McDavid inflation but he's a beast of a player who deserves more respect than being called a McDavid leech.
I told everybody who would listen tat Hyman was a perfect fit in Edmonton. When you watched him play in TO, you could see how well he could compliment the EDM core.

• Haha
Reactions: Slapshot_11

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Let's not pretend Hyman was a 50 goal guy just waiting to burst out. He was a 40 point guy even with Matthews on his line at times. Matthews is not a great playmaker and isn't the type to make his linemates better per se, but McDavid is the epitome of that. He got 100 assists this year, the most anyone has gotten in a season in 33 years. Someone had to be the beneficiary of that. Granted, Hyman does the right sort of things to be on McDavid's line, it is a good compliment, but he is still a 40 point guy even so much as not being on McDavid's line. I don't think we should pretend they let a guy like this go and he was just a 54 goal man waiting to burst out!
I guess it shows the gap between Matthews and McDavid when Mcdavid can turn Hyman's into Auston's.

Reactions: Oak and NikolaTesla

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

I had a discussion like this with some friends last night. Which led to comparing eras with Gretzky. I won't get into that other than to say I'm of the camp that nobody can truly compare to Gretzky.

But anyways someone says McDavid is going to wind up better for almost the exact reason you said in your last paragraph. Gretzky was amazing, but also had an absolute Hall of Fame team behind him, and Semenko to bully the shit out of anyone who wanted to get cute.

I don't agree that McDavid is better, but if one were to believe and argue the idea that the Oilers are a 2 or Juan Guy team (not accusing you of that, I just had a puff is all) they would sort of have to be inclined to think that McDavid is going to be better than Gretzky too, no?

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Has it ever occurred to some of you that McDavid wouldn't have his 100 assists without Hyman? NHL, NFL, NBA...all the top players need other top players to succeed. To diminish Hymans season because of McDavid is disingenuous.

The only thing I'll say to that is that when McDavid isn't scoring neither is Hyman. I wouldn't go as far as saying he needs McDavid to assist him to tie his shoes, but this is a classic Chris Kunitz-style player if there ever was one. Hey, Kunitz won 4 Cups, so we should all have it that "bad". But I am just saying, Kunitz wasn't truly elite either

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The only thing I'll say to that is that when McDavid isn't scoring neither is Hyman. I wouldn't go as far as saying he needs McDavid to assist him to tie his shoes, but this is a classic Chris Kunitz-style player if there ever was one. Hey, Kunitz won 4 Cups, so we should all have it that "bad". But I am just saying, Kunitz wasn't truly elite either
The difference is that Hyman scored 54 goals while Kunitz's best is 35.

Reactions: ruaware41

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Dudes literally aging like fine wine and Leaf’s nation thought his legs would have fallen off by now. Every year this guy is getting better and better. The complete commitment to improvement shown throughout his career continues.

I thank Dubas for his services but let’s not pretend letting Hyman go was all on Dubas. Many wanted him gone and not extended. Oilers benefited from now the confirmed best free agent signing of possibly all time.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
Dudes literally aging like fine wine and Leaf’s nation thought his legs would have fallen off by now. Every year this guy is getting better and better. The complete commitment to improvement shown throughout his career continues.

I thank Dubas for his services but let’s not pretend letting Hyman go was all on Dubas. Many wanted him gone and not extended. Oilers benefited from now the confirmed best free agent signing of possibly all time.

A lot of Leaf fans wanted to keep the guy. And almost all of them speak highly of him.

Sure lots said he likely wouldn't be worth that contract or it would age very poorly but that was a fair assessment at the time. Not even the biggest Oiler homers were thinking Hyman was scoring 50+

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Has it ever occurred to some of you that McDavid wouldn't have his 100 assists without Hyman? NHL, NFL, NBA...all the top players need other top players to succeed. To diminish Hymans season because of McDavid is disingenuous.

Its not to diminish hyman. Hes a player that can stand on his own, but you cant have your cake and eat it too. If mcdavid is in the realm of gretzky and lemieux, then hes bound to boost the totals of his linemates quite significantly too.

Reactions: Stapler and lextune

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Last night he scored on a breakaway assisted by Nugent Hopkins

Reactions: Stapler and nerblet

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Should have signed hyman to an 8 year contract and moved marner before his nmc kicked in. Ah, too bad eh.

Hyman is the type of player to just keep improving. He learned the game the right way. Reminds of Andrew Copp except much better.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
it always blows me away how strong Hyman is on his stick. He is one of the best players I have ever seen at fighting through stick checks

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Just think, Leafs thought he wasn't worth paying 5mil for.
In there defense they have no one in the stratosphere comparable to Hyman's centre today. It's just the perfect fit really. Hyman might just be the best UFA signing ever that I can recall. Hats off to Hyman he's producing at a amazing rate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad