Post-Game Talk: Zach and Elvis put on a show, CBJ shut down FLA 4-1 in Bob's return to NationWide Arena

Will you be drinking tonight?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
This team is soft, mentally weak, and inconsistent, and has been for years.

This is because almost every line is missing physicality, a wrecking ball that just wills their way to the puck and distributes it to the other players. Hubs and Barkov are pretty good at this but not on the same level as e.g. Gallagher. Barkov can be pushed to aside way too easily. This team is just a pushover. Dale and Q are trying to adjust this deficiency by advocating "team toughness". That just ain't gonna happen.

Reactions: PanthersHockey1

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Now that I think about it, last night was a fitting end to another decade of darkness. Lose to a team that was beatable because the other team showed more compete. Mediocrity at its finest.

Reactions: Mogo

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Did Hawk slam Q's daughter or something?

This team so obviously lacks intensity and grit, two things Hawk actually possesses and we continue to bench him.

It's mindboggling to me. This team feels very undercoached. I wonder just wtf Q is even doing? His strategies are awful and they clearly do not work.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Did Hawk slam Q's daughter or something?

This team so obviously lacks intensity and grit, two things Hawk actually possesses and we continue to bench him.

It's mindboggling to me. This team feels very undercoached. I wonder just wtf Q is even doing? His strategies are awful and they clearly do not work.

Have to figure he'll be in tomorrow. If not then I don't know what to say. He should've been in after that embarrassing effort against Tampa.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
This might be seen as a bad thing to say but I don’t think Barkov is a good captain.

I think we have a leadership issue and I don’t see enough out of him except for points.

Defensively he’s not as strong, he does vanish for stretches, and even though I don’t expect him to be impactful every game, he hasn’t been impactful in enough games. Watching other teams and their best player or captain, you see a more consistent effort to try to will a team to victory. Bergeron has always been like that. Eichel recently has taken that step forward. Malkin has been leading Pitt with all their injuries.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
This is his 4th year and missed playoffs every year he's been here. 4th year in a row may change his mind.
Expansion coming up, I think he knows he will be asked to waive.
Sucks because he is a great locker room guy and good PP threat while still having value

He's a total goofball and not someone I want helping run the room. Yeah, he keeps it light and he's good on the PP, the guys probably love him. But he's not the type of vet we need, I don't think he's keeping guys accountable as much as he is telling jokes and acting like a 12 year old.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
This might be seen as a bad thing to say but I don’t think Barkov is a good captain.

I think we have a leadership issue and I don’t see enough out of him except for points.

Defensively he’s not as strong, he does vanish for stretches, and even though I don’t expect him to be impactful every game, he hasn’t been impactful in enough games. Watching other teams and their best player or captain, you see a more consistent effort to try to will a team to victory. Bergeron has always been like that. Eichel recently has taken that step forward. Malkin has been leading Pitt with all their injuries.
That’s fair.

Unfortunately, it’s just like the team - best of a bunch of poor choices. Hubie wouldn’t be any/much better. Ekblad - just no. Yandle - geez no way. Tro - two years ago maybe.

There’s a reason why a team supposedly full of character guys had their fourth line center as captain, and that after not having a captain.

There really are times I wish I was another team fan....

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Have to figure he'll be in tomorrow. If not then I don't know what to say. He should've been in after that embarrassing effort against Tampa.
I thought Greco would at least get one game by now and hasn’t, so you never know with these guys

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He's a total goofball and not someone I want helping run the room. Yeah, he keeps it light and he's good on the PP, the guys probably love him. But he's not the type of vet we need, I don't think he's keeping guys accountable as much as he is telling jokes and acting like a 12 year old.

Have been open to trading him for a while now. One way to send a message is take all the fun out of the room.
Not sure what his value is though. He's due a $3 mil bonus in July so that's why I feel it'll wait until off season. Hes owed $13.2 mil over the last 3 years whch is decent pay/production rate but still has another $3 mil bonus in the UFA year. Retain 500k x 3 yrs and I'd hope to get a 1st + mid pick/mid level prospect from a contender who needs PP boost.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

It's not a bad thing. The captaincy was forced on him, not because he was the best available choice.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Have been open to trading him for a while now. One way to send a message is take all the fun out of the room.
Not sure what his value is though. He's due a $3 mil bonus in July so that's why I feel it'll wait until off season. Hes owed $13.2 mil over the last 3 years whch is decent pay/production rate but still has another $3 mil bonus in the UFA year. Retain 500k x 3 yrs and I'd hope to get a 1st + mid pick/mid level prospect from a contender who needs PP boost.

Too bad that Dale, and whoever his successor will be, is probably completely oblivious to what the defense actually needs due to #character and his relatively high production. The mgmt really gotta get their heads together and come to the conclusion that Yandle is totally irrelevant, probably a detriment to this team's success.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Quite frankly, Torts had the better tactical play set up in this game. They got the lead and more or less kept the Panthers away from any quality chances and stood up at their blue line. Elvis saw most of everything coming quite clearly, maybe a couple of shots he didn't see that went wide and the one tipped in by Sceviour. Panthers had more offensive zone time and much more then they have had all season, more or less. But Jackets had them under control most of the night and took their chances. They didn't go end to end cause they would have lost if they did, they didn't play entertaining hockey but it was the right way for them and got the job done. Need more traffic in front of the net if all that zone time will count to something...
Tort's plan was play like the 90s Devils. They sat back and sheltered their goalie. They focused solely on D until a chance off a turnover, or a PP opportunity. It seemed they even put their crowd to sleep at times. Panthers have to find a way to adjust to the slogging game CBJ played last night.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC

This team has clearly a lack of leadership and it starts with the captain.

So you are right. Barkov is no C material. No one is actually, and that's a problem.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I disagree with the Florida was the better team sentiment. It was a 2017 Panthers game, all puck time but just perimeter shots. Bob was bad but scoring 1 wont win you any games. Not like Elvis stole the show, all his saves were routine.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Now that I think about it, last night was a fitting end to another decade of darkness. Lose to a team that was beatable because the other team showed more compete. Mediocrity at its finest.

They were only missing 10 regulars and 2 more were injured during game

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
We're living through our worst case scenario of Bob busting in the regular season. I was prepared for some funky stuff in the playoffs, but I thought he would be a rock in the regular season. We were never going to win with Bob being even just pedestrian, he needed to be great. And he has been mediocre to bad with some greatness sprinkled in.

Vokoun was a guy who let in the occasional bad goal, but you knew in any game he let in a stinker he was going to have at least a couple game-savers, so you could ignore the bad ones. Bobrovsky is letting in stinkers at an alarming rate and he's not making up for it elsewhere.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Some notes I made from the game:

- At 2:18 of the first, Tro had some nice moves. He weaved around some Defenders. I would like to see him at the end, instead of trying one more move, take the puck to the net. There was a clear openlane available. It's almost like he needs to take some pages out of Huby's book. Huby is also kind of an agitator, much like Tro.

- Panthers D is pretty soft. Stillman is a nice drink of water, had a few big hits. Brown can also hit really well, and Ek and Weegs are okay, the rest really can't throw the body around, that's not scaring anyone on the other team.

- Bob was shaky before the first commercial break, when his tribute video was played. I can imagine that was weighing on his mind. 7 years of a being a Blue Jacket with a lot of success, where he made his bread and butter, emotions were very high with him I would think.

- The one goal the Panthers scored was a beautiful tip by Skooter! Great work down low by that whole line. Toni deserved a fourth assist on that one, great work to strip the puck away. Strals had a nice shot. Him and Stillman played a really good game I thought together.

- The first half of the game, I thought our PP, as well as the PK did a very good job.

- The second Columbus goal was on the power play, and I thought Ek was running around a little too much obviously.

- The fourth Columbus goal again was a high blocker goal. That has been Bob's weakness all season, and it's getting very predictable. Hopefully he can figure that one out soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad