GDT: Your Winnipeg Jets vs Los Angeles Kings | Sun Mar 1, 3PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
just curious, how old are you?

All the young folk in my family, my sons and nieces and nephews, are younger than 20. They just have no concept of a world without the net and really even without cell phones. It's funny, when I think back on my younger days in the late 70s and 80s I often forget that we didn't have that stuff. It's like the technology gets back-dated in my memory. But every once in a while something jogs my memory banks and I'll recall that "oh yeah, we used to have to pull over and get out of our cars and plug change into a phone if we wanted to call someone." It's was like the dark ages man!

:laugh::laugh:
Too true- reminds me of my niece- now in her 20's. I had a rotary phone fixed to the wall in my old home. I told her to phone her parents with it- she took the phone off the hanger and had no clue whatsoever how to dial...
The times they are changing..
Back on topic- GO JETS GO.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
It is a whole 'nother world. Almost takes the mystery out of it. So much coverage. Kind of like rock music. Now you know every second of a band or performer's life. When I was a kid, Zep, Floyd, Sabbath, and the rest were all still bits and pieces of information. Some true, some lies, lots of myth.

absolutely true! I think this is a contributing factor to the current state of music really. The stars don't have that "mythic" quality anymore. There is a level of familiarity and access to the daily minutia of their lives that removes much of the mystery about performers.

Roofgoat

Feb 5, 2015
Rural Missouri
I know this wasn't directed at me but I thought I'd chime in with my childhood memories. Watching the Jets on TV was a bit of a treat, I think it was sometimes on CKND? Or MTN maybe? But it isn't like it is today. My most defining memory as a kid was in fact listening to Curt Keilback on my radio. I remember as a kid staring at the big old wooden radio I had with giant red numbers trying to imagine what was happening on the ice as Curt described it to me.

I remember cheering my arse off at home. Good times.

Great story Res. Golden.

You know radio is a real treasure still IF you have the right announcers. I got rid of cable 2 years ago due to costs. I started following the Cardinals in 2011 when Freese had one of the greatest games ever in ALL sports history. Anyway, all during the last few years when the Cards were playing in the playoffs, every game started outside with the radio on, a bonfire and a few Busch beers. Cards have a great gravel voice radio announcer, Mike Shannon.

I had to take my daughter to piano lessons a couple weeks back and listened to the Jets on 1290 on my iPhone. I'm sitting in the truck outside and amazed how hard its is and how much talent it takes to call a good hockey game. I liked it and I may try a whole game soon on the radio.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
SensibleGuy;98236'715 said:
just curious, how old are you?

All the young folk in my family, my sons and nieces and nephews, are younger than 20. They just have no concept of a world without the net and really even without cell phones. It's funny, when I think back on my younger days in the late 70s and 80s I often forget that we didn't have that stuff. It's like the technology gets back-dated in my memory. But every once in a while something jogs my memory banks and I'll recall that "oh yeah, we used to have to pull over and get out of our cars and plug change into a phone if we wanted to call someone." It's was like the dark ages man!

Well at least you didn't say "had to pull back on the reins and stop the horse and buggy and get a fire started on the side of the road to send a smoke signal"

That would've been before the dark ages :)

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Well at least you didn't say "had to pull back on the reins and stop the horse and buggy and get a fire started on the side of the road to send a smoke signal"

That would've been before the dark ages :)

hehe, I like reminiscing about this stuff. I'm a geek who loves technology. I can only imagine what we might be in for in the next 20 years.

The 80s were really a very strange time as far as tech gizmos go. It was sort of the last decade where an effort was made to "woodenize" things. :) Like microwave ovens and TVs would be given faux-wood panels and so forth - sort of a strange effort to keep things tied to mother earth in some way...I like that. I remember our first vcr - just a big monster of a thing with huge dials on the front that clicked as you turned them and a box painted to look like wood for some reason...:laugh:

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
hehe, I like reminiscing about this stuff. I'm a geek who loves technology. I can only imagine what we might be in for in the next 20 years.

The 80s were really a very strange time as far as tech gizmos go. It was sort of the last decade where an effort was made to "woodenize" things. :) Like microwave ovens and TVs would be given faux-wood panels and so forth - sort of a strange effort to keep things tied to mother earth in some way...I like that. I remember our first vcr - just a big monster of a thing with huge dials on the front that clicked as you turned them and a box painted to look like wood for some reason...:laugh:

BETA ruled!!!
Seriously though you guys remember that video player that came out about the same time as VCR- the movies were like LP records???
Not sure who made that device but it sure didn't catch.

Back on topic- BEAVERS!!

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Finally, a Jets game at a reasonable time for us Easterners.

I think the wood panel fad is making a comeback. Motorola's flagship phone has a wood back as an option (which costs extra and is therefor even more flagshippy).

I like to think we're in a golden age for technology right now. The internet could become a lot more locked down in the future. Intelligent devices that streamline our day-to-day lives and integrate all our services could take away too much of our autonomy as people (I'm worried more about psychological effects of dependence more than privacy).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It looks like it is Old Fart day around here. You can put me in that group. It sure is a lot easier following a team these days. Though a few times a year I have to catch a game on the radio, it is quite enjoyable and is kind of nostalgic.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Finally, a Jets game at a reasonable time for us Easterners.

I think the wood panel fad is making a comeback. Motorola's flagship phone has a wood back as an option (which costs extra and is therefor even more flagshippy).

I like to think we're in a golden age for technology right now. The internet could become a lot more locked down in the future. Intelligent devices that streamline our day-to-day lives and integrate all our services could take away too much of our autonomy as people (I'm worried more about psychological effects of dependence more than privacy).

oh yeah, I've seen a few of the new gadgets decked out in "retro" wood finishes. But that's really a different zeitgeist than the way it was back in the 70s and 80s... :)

Roofgoat

Feb 5, 2015
Rural Missouri
I've been to a handful of games now at MTS (wish I'd have been able to get there in the first season of Jets 2.0 when the arena was really charged up but oh well) and while it's a fun experience, as far as watching the on ice action goes I honestly would rather see it on the 46" LCD in HD...the action just seems so much more involving and intense in the TV broadcast than it does live. I guess it's due to the forced focus of TV. Live, you are free to look at whatever you want and I find I often miss important events because I'm watching something that's going on elsewhere on the ice or in the stands.

I actually still don't mind listening to games on the radio. I have to quite often when I'm out driving the kids around and what-not and it's still a pretty exciting way to get the game action.

Sensible, I'm with you. I went to the Jets Blues Game here in MO last year. Great time, but I do prefer big screen HD TV too.

Roofgoat

Feb 5, 2015
Rural Missouri
Crazy Americans and their 21 year old drinking age limit! Someone should take that barbaric law all the way to the supreme Court ! :D

Hey, I had the great state of Wisconsin for my beer needs in the 80s. 18 and you were good to go. Drive across the border to Kenosha, 2 cases of Hamms and 2 cases of Old Milwaukee.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
BETA ruled!!!
Seriously though you guys remember that video player that came out about the same time as VCR- the movies were like LP records???
Not sure who made that device but it sure didn't catch.

Back on topic- BEAVERS!!

I certainly remember those. I forget what they were called though...Laser Discs?

...oh, no they were just called videodiscs.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Sensible, I'm with you. I went to the Jets Blues Game here in MO last year. Great time, but I do prefer big screen HD TV too.

Especially one that you can also play your LP's on!

o.jpg

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Checking in and see that the beaver crap is still going strong....:shakehead

Good feeling about this one.

Roofgoat

Feb 5, 2015
Rural Missouri
I'm and oddball. I bought a few old Zenith tube radios off craigslist last year. One has a wood cabinet, the other a real nice aged "yellowing" plastic still in great shape.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
Hey, I had the great state of Wisconsin for my beer needs in the 80s. 18 and you were good to go. Drive across the border to Kenosha, 2 cases of Hamms and 2 cases of Old Milwaukee.

Remember fondly driving 2 hours with my fake I.D to the border in University so we could stock up on cheap Old Mil or Pabst Blue Ribbon. Cross the border and load the trunk with cheap beers!!
Was really nice when border crossing was so simple.

Roofgoat

Feb 5, 2015
Rural Missouri
Remember fondly driving 2 hours with my fake I.D to the border in University so we could stock up on cheap Old Mil or Pabst Blue Ribbon. Cross the border and load the trunk with cheap beers!!
Was really nice when border crossing was so simple.

No kidding. By best buddy moved to Bloomfield Hills MI late 80s. I'd visit him and we'd drive through Detroit into Windsor. Piece of cake. The strip bars were brutal though back then. Brutal.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm and oddball. I bought a few old Zenith tube radios off craigslist last year. One has a wood cabinet, the other a real nice aged "yellowing" plastic still in great shape.

From the days when every drugstore had one of these...

20050414_fg4.jpg

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I know this wasn't directed at me but I thought I'd chime in with my childhood memories. Watching the Jets on TV was a bit of a treat, I think it was sometimes on CKND? Or MTN maybe? But it isn't like it is today. My most defining memory as a kid was in fact listening to Curt Keilback on my radio. I remember as a kid staring at the big old wooden radio I had with giant red numbers trying to imagine what was happening on the ice as Curt described it to me.

Teams like the Blackhawks seemed larger than life, from far away cities. It was like going to war with other countries but on the rink. I actually think a lot about those times I would hop on a city bus and get cheap 7-11 tickets to games. Back then sometimes these NHL games wouldn't be televised by either teams, so it was just the fans in the crowd and the teams on the ice that would witness them. The game and it's memories belong to us that were there and no one else. No digital; a really different age.

On that note, here's one of the most important wins in Winnipeg Jets history:
Keith Tkachuk get his 50th
Jets win to clinch a playoff berth in the last ever regular season Jets game in 1.0 history
It's the only time in Jets NHL history we had a White Out for a regular season game.

I remember cheering my arse off at home. Good times.

Since Jets 2.0 returned I have seen every team in the league play at home except the Kings and Wings. I was at the last game in 1996 against the Kings and the Wings.

Today I will see the Kings! next season I will be ready for the Wings!

Off to the game!

Go Jets Go

My blues won a trophy today and I feel good about the Jets.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
since jets 2.0 returned i have seen every team in the league play at home except the kings and wings. I was at the last game in 1996 against the kings and the wings.

Today i will see the kings! Next season i will be ready for the wings!

Off to the game!

Go jets go

my blues won a trophy today and i feel good about the jets.

loud and proud buddy!!!!!

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Oh man, what a difference it was following the Jets as a kid in the 90s.

-Would try to watch the 12-15 games every year that would be televised on CKND, CBC or TSN

-If the game wasn't on TV, would tune in to CJOB and listen to Keilback call the game

-If I was busy that night with a hockey game or practice, I'd wait until the next morning to see the result in the newspaper. That's what really blows my mind, how scarce information was back then. I could watch SportsDesk or the late night news to find out the score, but that was usually past my bedtime. I remember how excited I was when channel 29 started showing all the sports scores (it was just text, no highlights) round the clock.

Something I've always wondered: were there establishments in Winnipeg back in the 80s and 90s that would pick up satellite feeds for Jets games that weren't on your basic cable package? NHL Centre Ice didn't come along until the mid-90s, and even then, I'm pretty sure it was only (legally) available with American satellite providers.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
You know radio is a real treasure still IF you have the right announcers.

Some of my fondest memories were listening to hockey games on the radio, and then again on the burgeoning hi-tech world of "internet radio". Last night I listened to the Habs-Leafs game on French language internet radio, really brought back some memories, my Pepere used to watch hockey games in French and every now and then a hilarious Francophonization of a foreign player's name would make me laugh.. in this case it was Jokinen.

When date night coincides with a Jets game, she'll let me listen to the game on the radio as we drive and she's stunned at the idea of even being able to keep up with the game based on the commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad