Your views on Dallas Eakins so far - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2012
The look on the faces and body language says it all.
Hall, frustrated beyond belief.
Hopkins, in lala land
Eberle, seems to be tuned right out
Gagner, zipperhead here is clued right out, worse than he's ever been
Perron seems to be getting pissed off
Hemsky, playing the best hockey in 4 years so he gets traded out if this ****show
Gordon looks dumbfounded, like what the hell did I get myself into here
Smyth, his usual clued out self
Yakupov, totally lost his confidence, it's plain as day
The entire defence, WTF wasn't that your man?
Bryzgalov, throwing sticks.

Eakins has lost the room. He is grasping at straws now, MacT will stick with him out of sheer stubbornness.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Fire Eakins today.
Our players are better than this.
I've had enough of this guy.
I put the blame is on his shoulders. Bad coaching decisions since the beginning with far too much arrogance and not enough experience.
Fire Eakins!! Please!
Today.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Eakins is part of the problem, but the players simply don't try hard enough for anyone. Game after game we see the same lazy efforts, the stupid mistakes, the inability to make simple plays, the refusal to be physical, etc.

Looking back at the last game...

Goal #1 was caused by a forward using his speed to force a defenseman into a mistake which ended up in the back of the net. (We hear our team is fast but rarely do we see it)

Goal #2 was caused by a forecheck which caused the opposition's defense and forwards to panic with the puck. The puck never left the zone and the puck went in off a hard shot from the top of the circles. (Something only Smyth seems to do and I would classify his shot hard like I would winter warm)

Goal #3 was caused when a backchecking forward hit the opposing forward, causing a turnover and when the puck went back the other way, the team shot the puck at the net and dug furiously for a rebound. (Something our team for some reason only does once every 7 games or so)

I haven't played hockey in 20 years, so I don't know how hard the sport really is, but it seems like this team never learns from their mistakes no matter who the coach is. As Wayne said, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take", so why do we consistently pass the puck into lower percentage areas?

And more to the point, this team doesn't play hard, never mind smart. Rarely have we seen this team outplay their opponent this year and last game was just another where they gave up after facing some adversity.

The perfect example would be the first game against the Blues. We played them decently in the first period but wound up trailing after 1 period 1-0. After the second and third goals went in, they completely quit and lost 6-0.

Flash forward to a few days later in Calgary, where the Blues held a 3-1 lead halfway through the third period. But the Flames never quit and managed to tie the game late and ultimately win it in a shootout.

That is the reason we're looking up at 28 other teams, because this team almost never gives an honest effort and is just content with letting the losses pile up while hoping that they either get traded or someone will come and save them.

This is a team of losers, and losing's what Oilers do best.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
If not fire him go higher another associate coach with some damn NHL experience and stop "feeling it out" with idiot Eakins.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
At some point you just have to realize that its maybe not the coaching that is the problem here. We could put Mike Babcock back there and I doubt he could make the Oilers a playoff team with this roster. This team needs defense and more size in their top 6 in a bad way. I blame management more than I do Eakins for our poor record.

That said, theres quite a few things about Eakins that I don't like. I don't really like his arrogance, his stubborness, his treatment of Yak, his line combinations, and how he seems to have taken the fun out of coming to the arena. With Krueger, even though the Oilers were a bad team too.. at least it seemed like the players genuinely liked him and they were still having fun, smiling and enjoying the game. This year the players just seem so unemotional at times and just not enjoying the game anymore.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Eakins has lost the room. He is grasping at straws now, MacT will stick with him out of sheer stubbornness.

It may be financial as well. I heard Krueger had a 3 year contract, so they are still paying him for one more year after this.

If MacT fires Eakins, and hires a replacement, Katz will have 3 head coaches on the payroll at one time draining his bankroll. Pretty much an open and shut case of incompetent management if that situation arises.

The optics of this are not good for MacT. In fact, he pretty much bet the farm on Eakins, for some odd reason. The guy can't coach at the NHL level, and I've never been impressed by him from the moment I first listened to him when it was announced he was hired. Total blowhard.

Hard to imagine how MacT was so impressed by him during the interview. Hard to imagine how he remains so enthralled by him to this day.

"I couldn't be happier with the coaching" - MacT

Oct 15, 2008
Paul Maurice's contract runs out at the end of the season.

But Eakins was so highly sought after we needed to offer a coach with three years experience, none at the nhl level a four year deal.

Sounds like a pretty good case for firing Mact, who was hired with zero gm experience after an exhaustive recruitment search.....er was just handed the job because bff....... sounds like a good reason to fire Lowe.....may as well just clean house.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
You know Yakupov is sad when he hasn't tweeted since 10/29.

He used to have the most excited tweets ever. :):):):):):):):):):):) axaxaxaxaxaxax :$:$ :*:* )))))

DregerFan

Jul 4, 2007
didn't someone in the other thread state that eakins had to keep the associate coaches?

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I wonder if there is an issue with players sometimes as well. I mean Hall, Nuge, Schultz and Ebs were in the AHL and while they scored a lot, they also lost a lot. I remember them being beaten by some teams fairly consistently as well. Is Nelson bad too?

Really strange. Not defending Eakins, just another perspective.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
didn't someone in the other thread state that eakins had to keep the associate coaches?

Smith and Buchy? MacT stated that Eakins could pick whoever he wanted BUT he also stated that he thought those 2 guys should say. So, newb coach thanking his lucky stars he got a sweet NHL job knows his boss wants to keep his 2 friends on board who are also friends with President Lowe and also Buchy happens to be good friends with Katz. Hmm... think the decision he was supposed to make was pretty well laid out for him.

The good thing is he got to hire one of his own buddies to screw up the special teams and yell obscenities.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Smith and Buchy? MacT stated that Eakins could pick whoever he wanted BUT he also stated that he thought those 2 guys should say. So, newb coach thanking his lucky stars he got a sweet NHL job knows his boss wants to keep his 2 friends on board who are also friends with President Lowe and also Buchy happens to be good friends with Katz. Hmm... think the decision he was supposed to make was pretty well laid out for him.

The good thing is he got to hire one of his own buddies to screw up the special teams and yell obscenities.

Yes, this is something MacT wanted -- a holdover to help transition for the new coach and the players as well, something about continuity. Really damn stupid, but I didn't realize Buchberger had ingratiated himself in Katz' company, so...

Jul 19, 2012
At some point you just have to realize that its maybe not the coaching that is the problem here. We could put Mike Babcock back there and I doubt he could make the Oilers a playoff team with this roster. This team needs defense and more size in their top 6 in a bad way. I blame management more than I do Eakins for our poor record.

That said, theres quite a few things about Eakins that I don't like. I don't really like his arrogance, his stubborness, his treatment of Yak, his line combinations, and how he seems to have taken the fun out of coming to the arena. With Krueger, even though the Oilers were a bad team too.. at least it seemed like the players genuinely liked him and they were still having fun, smiling and enjoying the game. This year the players just seem so unemotional at times and just not enjoying the game anymore.

I agree, like I said in a couple threads yesterday, I am at a loss. Eakins cannot be this big an idiot. He's just lost the room and lost in the woods himself I believe. The players are for sure the wrong mix. That needs tearing down and rebuilding (there's that word again).

Wrong players. Wrong coach. This all equals dumpster fire.

Oct 15, 2008
I agree, like I said in a couple threads yesterday, I am at a loss. Eakins cannot be this big an idiot. He's just lost the room and lost in the woods himself I believe. The players are for sure the wrong mix. That needs tearing down and rebuilding (there's that word again).

Wrong players. Wrong coach. This all equals dumpster fire.

If by dumpster fire you mean a fire Lowe thread then ya, I would agree.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The look on the faces and body language says it all.
Hall, frustrated beyond belief.
Hopkins, in lala land
Eberle, seems to be tuned right out
Gagner, zipperhead here is clued right out, worse than he's ever been
Perron seems to be getting pissed off
Hemsky, playing the best hockey in 4 years so he gets traded out if this ****show
Gordon looks dumbfounded, like what the hell did I get myself into here
Smyth, his usual clued out self
Yakupov, totally lost his confidence, it's plain as day
The entire defence, WTF wasn't that your man?
Bryzgalov, throwing sticks.

One of the most frustrating things, is Krueger had this team playing more systems than the supposed guru. To think people complained about this team being lost last year.

I still contend Eakins is that coach who is perfect for the AHL. He's that guy who can get less than skilled players to work their butts off and do everything just to get a shot to play in the league, but his techniques don't work with more of the skilled variety or veteran players. Just look at his run ins with Kadri and Gardiner.

He's in over his head with the inability to read and mesh personalities and skill sets. It's one thing if you're Bowman, Babcock or Hitchcock, who are respected and frighten even veteran players.

They had a coach who was getting production out of guys that seemingly look at Eakins with no respect. The guy they replaced is a master motivator. Eakins is simply a bully tactic coach with no bite. The fact he was even hired shows what horrible evaluators this mgmt team is.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Poor Yakupov, really
I feel bad for
Most of the kids. I can't imagine their frustration level, they probably are just trying to
Forgot this year as fast as they can.

This once proud franchise has burned to the ground. I'm embarrassed to call myself an oiler fan and if I had it my way. Id fire everybody. I can't stand watching
This team lose this much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad