Value of: Your Teams expansion draft players

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Atkinson?

Atkinson?

Don't be absurd. The only people who believe Atkinson will be exposed are the fools who actually think there's a snowball's chance in hell of Clarkson being allowed to somehow push a better player out. He either waives or he's bought out. It's that simple.

We'll see what happens in June. :)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I can't see Subban being drafted here. I have heard a couple of places that the plan with Subban is that Boston will not offer him a contract but have it ready to go after the draft and if he was to get drafted he would become an UFA after the next day. I am pretty sure nobody is going to draft him. They would have one day to sign him.

Subban will be a 23 year old RFA. He's years away from free agency.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/malcolm-subban

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I can't see Subban being drafted here. I have heard a couple of places that the plan with Subban is that Boston will not offer him a contract but have it ready to go after the draft and if he was to get drafted he would become an UFA after the next day. I am pretty sure nobody is going to draft him. They would have one day to sign him.

Subban will be a 23 year old RFA. He's years away from free agency.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

And that's why the Bruins signed Khudobin to a 2-year deal - so that he can be exposed. I was kinda curious to see how the Bruins would handle the Subban situation, but that seems like a clever way around it: don't give him a QO and then sign him as a UFA. Seems a little risky, but it's better than exposing him to Vegas.

Translation: "I want Columbus to suffer because of the Clarkson contract as this benefits my team, so **** you."

I know I'm in the minority, but I think Clarkson might have some (minimal) trade value after he gets his signing bonus on July 1, 2017. He'd only be due $10M in cash over the final 3 years of his deal, with a cap hit larger than his actual salary. Perhaps a budget team (maybe even Vegas?) could work out the trade details ahead of time and pull the trigger after the Jackets give him his $5M signing bonus on July 1. Jackets would have to take back salary of course, but maybe they could acquire a player that might be more useful to them (an overpaid d-man with fewer years left than Clarkson, in case they lose JMFJ in the expansion draft). Just a thought...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
And that's why the Bruins signed Khudobin to a 2-year deal - so that he can be exposed. I was kinda curious to see how the Bruins would handle the Subban situation, but that seems like a clever way around it: don't give him a QO and then sign him as a UFA. Seems a little risky, but it's better than exposing him to Vegas.

Subban still has to be exposed. Unless they are going to protect him and expose Rask.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Translation: "I want Columbus to suffer because of the Clarkson contract as this benefits my team, so **** you."

Don't get mad just because someone doesn't share your view of how the Clarkson contract won't actually be a problem in the ED.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The Sharks have a lot of solid players but no one outstanding that is sure to be taken over any other: Martin, Dillon, Schlemko, DeMelo, Wingels, Nieto, Karlsson. Personally, I'd take DeMelo if I were LV but I bet they'll take Karlsson.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Since Vegas only have to take $43.8m worth of players with 30 picks I don't expect many high-price guys getting taken, unless they're good or they are young. Someone like Weise who will have 3 years left at $2.35m seems a much safer bet. This was the Vegas team I came up with a few weeks ago.

Killorn-Soderberg-Atkinson
Lewis-Cizikas-Silfverberg
Nordstrom-Sheahan-Weise
Roussel-Jankrok-Kassian
(Lowry, Brodziak, Deslauriers, Gaunce, Andrighetto)

Martin-Klein
Scandella-Petrovic
Methot-Lovejoy
(Schenn, Pokka, Jokipakka, Marincin)

MAF
Grubauer
Subban

I'm not sure what gave you the idea that Silfverberg would be available but there's little chance of that happening.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Don't get mad just because someone doesn't share your view of how the Clarkson contract won't actually be a problem in the ED.

There is simply no rational basis for believing otherwise. If he doesn't waive, he's bought out. There is no reason whatsoever for the Jackets FO to do literally anything different - Clarkson is an acknowledged problem on the roster, and the folks who run the risk of being so exposed (Atkinson and/or Anderson) are both confirmed major favorites of both the coaching staff and the front desk. Insisting otherwise therefore can only have one of two possible causes:
1) Not having all the facts necessary, or
2) "**** Columbus, they should suffer".

As you do not appear underinformed, the only reasonable conclusion is that you're part of category #2. There are no other realistically justifiable options.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Subban still has to be exposed. Unless they are going to protect him and expose Rask.

Or they'll trade Subban before the draft. Or they'll send a pick to LV to NOT select Subban. They'll come up with a plan - one which will likely prevent Subban from playing in Vegas.

I get it. Expansion drafts are fun for us "armchair GM's", and it's evident by the amount of threads that have turned up on this site. But at the same time, it's really hard to speculate about potential rosters right now, because (as has been the case with previous drafts) there's going to be SO many trades before the actual draft happens. I see Fleury on people's expansion rosters, but I have a really hard time believing the Penguins would let him go for nothing.

I'll admit I love using the Expansion Tool on the General Fanager website, but I can't even visualize the potential Vegas team until I see the official lists of protected/non-protected players that the teams will submit next June. PS. The time between the Cup being handed out at the draft next year is going to be INSANE! :)

If he is still with the Ducks come expansion time I see Simon Despres as the most likely guy to be picked up by Vegas. At the moment we have four dmen who would be protected ahead of him (Lindholm, Fowler, Vatanen, Manson). I believe Fowler will be traded at some point before expansion in order to upgrade the forward core and protect Manson, but that still puts Despres as the odd man out. He would have to outshine Manson by a fair margin to become more valuable to the Ducks given the significant difference in salary.

I think you've perfectly laid out the Ducks situation, from what I can tell. As you (and other Duck fans that I know) have suggested, Despres would likely be exposed, so I can easily see the Ducks moving him before the draft, though I don't know what kind of return to expect due to the nature of the trade.

What about this?
- Ducks trade Fowler for a forward.
- Bieksa agrees to waive his NMC for the expansion draft (or gets bought out if he doesn't waive).
- Ducks protect: Lindholm, Manson, Vatanen
- Jackets protect: Jones, Murray, Savard
- Ducks trade Despres to the Jackets for conditional pick / future considerations.
- Vegas has a choice between Despres and Jack Johnson from Jackets roster. The one who doesn't get chosen stays on the 2nd pair in Columbus. If neither is chosen, I'm sure the Jackets could trade JJ going into the last year of his deal.

It's the kind of scenario that I expect to see next June.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Barring roster changes Wild will most likely leave two D exposed--and which ones depend on performance this year. I think the very faint hope here is that we'll expose Zucker and they'll take him for marketing purposes. Though i wonder if they take, say, Scandella and then accept a trade back where we get Scandella and give them Zucker AND Olofson or something like that.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Some teams are absolutely hoping some their high prized failures will be picked, but I don't think it will happen. Vegas will probably take many low priced players and then in a year or two, fill in with good UFAs.

Leafs (the team I see the most) aren't going to lose anyone significant. Matt Martin, Tyler Bozak might be the guy(s) taken.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
To Blue Goose

The Leafs are in a scenario where it might be possible to protect four Dmen. An upgrade might come from the Ducks.
Ducks protect....Vatanen, Theodore,Lindholm. I'm not sure it's even Fowler who has just one year before being a UFA is protected.

Maybe the Leafs make a trade with Ducks for one of their young Dmen....Monatour, or Desperes or Manson.
Leafs give the Ducks...a young Dman who might near NHL ready like Valiev and young forward or
two young near NHL ready forwards...Johnson and Lindberg.

Anyway the Ducks will be able to evaluate the Leafs youngsters (and other teams). I sure there is a deal for the Ducks to upgrade their depth but trading a Dman.

Last edited:

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Really? Of those three I take Craig Smith easily.
Unless Wilson becomes Gretzky over night, most think that it'll be Wilson left to dangle and a 3rd/4th rounder offered up to keep Jarnkrok with that unreal contract he just signed.

I have to believe Smith gets protected with Johansson, Forsberg, and Neal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad