Value of: Your Teams expansion draft players

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Which players on your team have the best chance of being taken at the expansion draft? If you could trade a pick to protect them how high would the pick be?

Also are there certain players you feel your team might dangle in hopes Vegas takes them over someone else?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
One of Raffl, Weise or Laughton seem certain to be taken from the Flyers in my opinion.

The first five forwards Philly will protect are obvious: Giroux, Voracek, Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
One of Raffl, Weise or Laughton seem certain to be taken from the Flyers in my opinion.

The first five forwards Philly will protect are obvious: Giroux, Voracek, Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds.

Do you think one of the forwards would be taken over a D? Philly doesn't seem to have much to worry about as all their great young D don't have to be protected.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
That would be rough. Do you think Det would not protect a certain player so he isn't taken?

Also will they have to protect Howard or can they expose him.

No they will expose Howard and protect Mrazek, Unless Holland makes a move with a Forward for an upgrade on D i have a feeling that Sheahan will be left unprotected.

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
For Columbus:

There is a lot of speculation of a very high end player being made available by Columbus, but I don't see it happening. That player would be moved for picks before that. Here will be LV's not options available from the CBJ.

1. Jack Johnson
2. Josh Anderson
3. Matt Calvert
4. Joonas Korpisalo
5. William Karlsson

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
From the Flames I'm guessing either Poirier or Shinkaruk gets taken, unless Vegas wants someone more veteran for their bottom six (Stajan or Bouma). Ideally the Flames would expose Brouwer, but that seems unlikely.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Do you think one of the forwards would be taken over a D? Philly doesn't seem to have much to worry about as all their great young D don't have to be protected.

Yes, the best dmen who are under contract for 17-18 that they will be exposing look to be Manning and MacDonald.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
No they will expose Howard and protect Mrazek, Unless Holland makes a move with a Forward for an upgrade on D i have a feeling that Sheahan will be left unprotected.

Ahh wasn't sure if he had any kind of NMC in his deal or not, talk about a lucky break for the wings.

Also I guess its not AS bad now that they signed frans

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
From the Flames I'm guessing either Poirier or Shinkaruk gets taken, unless Vegas wants someone more veteran for their bottom six (Stajan or Bouma). Ideally the Flames would expose Brouwer, but that seems unlikely.

Its really interesting to look at it from LV perspective. Certain positions like G will be loaded while getting any top line players will be pretty much impossible. I could see them targeting young players with upside even if they aren't as good currently as other options.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
For Columbus:

There is a lot of speculation of a very high end player being made available by Columbus, but I don't see it happening. That player would be moved for picks before that. Here will be LV's not options available from the CBJ.

1. Jack Johnson
2. Josh Anderson
3. Matt Calvert
4. Joonas Korpisalo
5. William Karlsson

Yeah CBJ is in a pretty big bind right now. It could be tough to trade players that have to be protected. They'd only go for pennies on the dollar.

CBJ will be SET if they can ever get out of their cap hell, although it will be some task to do.

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
They will have a ton of decent defenseman to choose from. Most teams want to protect their scoring forwards so most 2nd pairing defenseman may be available. I think LV will have a decent defense, but they will lack forwards with finishing ability.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hah ohh man if they could get LV to take MacDonald some how lol

Since Vegas only have to take $43.8m worth of players with 30 picks I don't expect many high-price guys getting taken, unless they're good or they are young. Someone like Weise who will have 3 years left at $2.35m seems a much safer bet. This was the Vegas team I came up with a few weeks ago.

Killorn-Soderberg-Atkinson
Lewis-Cizikas-Silfverberg
Nordstrom-Sheahan-Weise
Roussel-Jankrok-Kassian
(Lowry, Brodziak, Deslauriers, Gaunce, Andrighetto)

Martin-Klein
Scandella-Petrovic
Methot-Lovejoy
(Schenn, Pokka, Jokipakka, Marincin)

MAF
Grubauer
Subban

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
Yeah CBJ is in a pretty big bind right now. It could be tough to trade players that have to be protected. They'd only go for pennies on the dollar.

CBJ will be SET if they can ever get out of their cap hell, although it will be some task to do.

If LV does the CBJ a favor and takes Jack Johnson it clears a significant chunk of salary. I think they have taken the hard steps of buying out Boll and Tyutin which leaves them with some room. THey wont be a player in Free Agency again next year, but the team will be better from within.

This expansion draft will be interesting because they are not drafting against anyone. They will get to pick the best forwards and best defenseman available. It also means some good players will go un chosen as you can only select one from each team. It will be a very interesting strategic chess match. NHL better not miss the boat in making a show out of the choices they make.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It would be much more exciting if there were two expansion teams drafting because they would have to go back and forth as we watched. But with only one team they will just submit a list of 30 guys all at once.

It's no wonder the NHL are making sure more good players will be available to Vegas after the garbage CBJ and Minnesota got to pick from last time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NHL_Expansion_Draft

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
On the Isles board we've come to the realization that one of Nelson/Lee/deHaan probably will get claimed. We're hoping McPhee does the Isles a solid since we gave him a job after he was fired from Washington but I doubt it. He could possibly take Chimera, considering how much he coveted him in Washington, but logically that's a long shot.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
They will have a ton of decent defenseman to choose from. Most teams want to protect their scoring forwards so most 2nd pairing defenseman may be available. I think LV will have a decent defense, but they will lack forwards with finishing ability.

I actually think it will be the opposite. I think most teams will opt to go with protecting 4 dman as they are impossible to replace right now and there seems to be a surplus of forwards.

I think they will either be able to opt for a young team with potential or a ton of middle paring players with great goaltending depth.

What I'm really interested in though is if they get a bunch of mid round picks from teams to not take certain players

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Since Vegas only have to take $43.8m worth of players with 30 picks I don't expect many high-price guys getting taken, unless they're good or they are young. Someone like Weise who will have 3 years left at $2.35m seems a much safer bet. This was the Vegas team I came up with a few weeks ago.

Killorn-Soderberg-Atkinson
Lewis-Cizikas-Silfverberg
Nordstrom-Sheahan-Weise
Roussel-Jankrok-Kassian
(Lowry, Brodziak, Deslauriers, Gaunce, Andrighetto)

Martin-Klein
Scandella-Petrovic
Methot-Lovejoy
(Schenn, Pokka, Jokipakka, Marincin)

MAF
Grubauer
Subban

I think that's a good list but I can find some players that I doubt will be available, like Soderberg for example.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If LV does the CBJ a favor and takes Jack Johnson it clears a significant chunk of salary. I think they have taken the hard steps of buying out Boll and Tyutin which leaves them with some room. THey wont be a player in Free Agency again next year, but the team will be better from within.

This expansion draft will be interesting because they are not drafting against anyone. They will get to pick the best forwards and best defenseman available. It also means some good players will go un chosen as you can only select one from each team. It will be a very interesting strategic chess match. NHL better not miss the boat in making a show out of the choices they make.

To me CBJ's biggest issue is they have too many average players with sizeable cap hits with long term. They have the talent for sure, its just if they will be able to fit it all under the cap. Its a unique situation to be in for sure.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
It would be much more exciting if there were two expansion teams drafting because they would have to go back and forth as we watched. But with only one team they will just submit a list of 30 guys all at once.

It's no wonder the NHL are making sure more good players will be available to Vegas after the garbage CBJ and Minnesota got to pick from last time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NHL_Expansion_Draft

I'm not sure if they would be able to keep the same protection system with 2 teams. This draft with 1 team will already be hard for some current teams to handle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad