Value of: Your Team's Best Offer For McDavid

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Regular season success does matter in making the playoffs, but it ultimately means nothing unless you do something once you’re there. To be fair McDavid is still reasonably young and has been trending in the right direction since last year’s playoffs, so if he keeps this up he will likely get there, but at this point he still has yet to solidify himself among the game’s top postseason performers on a consistent basis. Here are a couple guys who have:

View attachment 697184View attachment 697186
just like regular season, playoffs stats mean nothing unless you get to lift the cup. Kucherov is certainly more successful in both the stats and the cups. Draisaitl must have pretty crazy playoffs stats as well but they mean nothing when you dont win it. Kadri > Draisaitl when it comes to 'games that really matter' as per you but it doesnt change the value of Draisaitl or McDavid.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
No it wouldnt you just offered a bunch of older players closer to their downturn than their prime.

He put up more points playing three rounds than anyone that made it to the finals. Givenyour head a shake.
The rudeness is uncalled for. Adults are conversing here; go away until you can conduct yourself as one.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Obviously he's not getting traded, but just a lighthearted fun thread. If you are an Oilers fan tell us what you think is the best offer.

From the Leafs if they somehow manage to get eliminated again from the 1st round I'd straight up offer Marner and Matthews
Matthews has zero value value to the Oilers with out a new contract. Plus we couldn't fit Marner and Matthews under the cap.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Regular season success does matter in making the playoffs, but it ultimately means nothing unless you do something once you’re there. To be fair McDavid is still reasonably young and has been trending in the right direction since last year’s playoffs, so if he keeps this up he will likely get there, but at this point he still has yet to solidify himself among the game’s top postseason performers on a consistent basis. Here are a couple guys who have:

Draisaitl has averaged 1.643 pts/gm, McDavid is at 1.5. The fact that they don't have 100 games played is a team issue, not a conseqeunce of their lack of production. Kucherov's most productive year in the palyoffs was 34 points in 25 games. McDavid had 33 last year in 16 games and Draisaitl had 32 playing on one leg.

I was a season ticket holder with the Oilers in the 80's and saw all of their home playoff games live except their game 7 loss to the Flames. McDavid's playoffs last year was beyond anything I had seen form an Oiler not named Gretzky. I'd probably say the same thing about Draisaitl as well.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
These sorts of threads don't really make sense in a cap world. Realistically the only way to get McDavid and to spend anywhere close to the cap would be to include aa guy like Bedard. BUt by the time he is ready to lead you anywhere his cap would be close to McDavid's anyway so this trade does not help the Oilers win.

doorbag

Jun 26, 2008

What are you talking about?

McDavid has 1.5 points per game in the playoffs. The only person more dominant than him in the post season besides Gretzky and Lemieux might be Draisaitl.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
just like regular season, playoffs stats mean nothing unless you get to lift the cup. Kucherov is certainly more successful in both the stats and the cups. Draisaitl must have pretty crazy playoffs stats as well but they mean nothing when you dont win it. Kadri > Draisaitl when it comes to 'games that really matter' as per you but it doesnt change the value of Draisaitl or McDavid.
I’m not saying they aren’t valuable players. I just take issue with the idea that McDavid is “BY FAR” the most valuable player in the league. If you’re only looking at regular season performances then sure, but once you take the postseason into account there’s a strong case to be made for Kucherov. Like I said, McDavid is a bit younger and will probably get there before all is said and done, and I don’t think it’s unfair even now to say that he’s the best player in the league, but the idea that he’s so much more valuable than any other player that he would be worth multiple elite players in return is a bit over the top. That’s all I’m saying.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
As an Oiler fan, a couple deals that come to mind

McAvoy + Pastrnak for McDavid

Dahlin + Thompson for McDavid

Sanderson + Stutzle + Batherson for McDavid

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Mcdavid + what for Bedard?

:sarcasm:
Go figure we would have a bitter Kings fan in this thread. We have help the Kings so much over the years you should be thankful. Spitting on a 9 year old girl with brain cancer tell me everything I need to know. Yes there can be a bad apple but Kings fans were defending it. If an Oiler fan did this I would hope the Oilers tracked him down and band him for life.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Go figure we would have a bitter Kings fan in this thread. We have help the Kings so much over the years you should be thankful. Spitting on a 9 year old girl with brain cancer tell me everything I need to know. Yes there can be a bad apple but Kings fans were defending it. If an Oiler fan did this I would hope the Oilers tracked him down and band him for life.
Im a ducks fan...

• Haha
Reactions: MCB and Gliff

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
swing and a miss

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
As I mentioned below, Anaheim doing this would destroy the still ongoing rebuild.

For Vegas it would just destroy the team.

Would probably take some combo of

Stone or Eichel (assuming health concerns don't bother Edmonton)
Theodore
Dorofeyev
Marchessault
Whitecloud
Thompson
Brisson
Vegas' next three-four first round picks.

For McDavid+cap dumps.

And even that probably wouldn't get it done.

Gotta say it's a bad start to say "if they get eliminated I'd offer Matthews and Marner". That + more is what you'd have to pay with a good extension to Matthews included to get McDavid. Let's not kid around here, he is BY FAR the best player in the league.

As Ducks fan, if we won the 1st overall this year, I'd offer that (Bedard) + Zegras/McTavish + Drysdale/Mintyukov + more picks. Then we'd likely have to take Campbell or some other dump as well to help EDM. Yeah, McDavid is worth that.
I mean yeah but you pretty much kill the benefit of getting McDavid by forcing the rebuild to start from scratch.

Last edited:

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Draisaitl has averaged 1.643 pts/gm, McDavid is at 1.5. The fact that they don't have 100 games played is a team issue, not a conseqeunce of their lack of production. Kucherov's most productive year in the palyoffs was 34 points in 25 games. McDavid had 33 last year in 16 games and Draisaitl had 32 playing on one leg.

I was a season ticket holder with the Oilers in the 80's and saw all of their home playoff games live except their game 7 loss to the Flames. McDavid's playoffs last year was beyond anything I had seen form an Oiler not named Gretzky. I'd probably say the same thing about Draisaitl as well.
Last year was indeed incredible, and like I’ve said repeatedly now if they keep this up they too will establish themselves among the game’s playoff greats. But it’s still a small sample size and heavily dependent on a single amazing postseason (which is why a minimum number of games matters when discussing such things), and when you’ve got guys like Kucherov and Point who have consistently put up numbers that rank them among the legends of the sport, the idea that McDavid and Draisaitl are “BY FAR” more valuable than them is simply ridiculous.

That’s ALL I’ve been saying here: that as good as McD is (and Drai for that matter), there are other players in the league who have accomplished more and are still playing at an elite level themselves, whose presence makes the notion of McDavid being “BY FAR” more valuable than anyone else rather absurd. He may well be the best player in the league, but even if he is the gap between him and Kucherov is by no means a large one. I don’t see why that’s such a controversial statement.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Last year was indeed incredible, and like I’ve said repeatedly now if they keep this up they too will establish themselves among the game’s playoff greats. But it’s still a small sample size and heavily dependent on a single amazing postseason (which is why a minimum number of games matters when discussing such things), and when you’ve got guys like Kucherov and Point who have consistently put up numbers that rank them among the legends of the sport, the idea that McDavid and Draisaitl are “BY FAR” more valuable than them is simply ridiculous.

That’s ALL I’ve been saying here: that as good as McD is (and Drai for that matter), there are other players in the league who have accomplished more and are still playing at an elite level themselves, whose presence makes the notion of McDavid being “BY FAR” more valuable than anyone else rather absurd. He may well be the best player in the league, but even if he is the gap between him and Kucherov is by no means a large one. I don’t see why that’s such a controversial statement.
You don't believe there's a large gap between McDavid & Kucherov....?

Are you talk in terms of what they bring on the ice, or value around the league?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

This is wrong their teams has done more not the player themselves. How many awards do they have vs McDavid? If Edmonton had an elite goalie I bet they would've won last year. Mike Smith killed them but let blame McDavid and Draisaitl for not going further in the playoffs

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Do you consider having prime McDavid starting from scratch?
Considering that Edmonton is no shoe in to win the cup this year even with the talents they have around McDavid, trading most of Anaheim's best young forwards (including this hypothetical Bedard result), their best defensive prospect and more picks, yeah. I'd say Anaheim would be stuck with 2-3 blue chip prospects/young potential stars (McTavish, Dostal and Zellweger), a bunch of warm bodies that were signed to be rebuild filler, some project prospects, and one Connor McDavid in his prime. Unless Verbeek absolutely kills it in the free agency market, that's barely a competitive team. McDavid can't do it all by himself. Realistically, a trade like that happens and if Verbeek doesn't make mistakes building around 97 you're looking at a potential contender as McDavid is nearing the end of his prime at best.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
7x17.5M in the Summer of 2026 assuming he goes to UFA

he has a full NMC he won't take a trade to Calgary
Not far away enough from

0511_spo_ldn-l-mcdavid.jpg

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Draisaitl has 69 playoff points in 42 games. He has never had fewer than 1.2 pts/gm in any playoff year. Point has 82 points in 80 games with his 33 in 23 being the only year he was over 1 pt/gm. (He was exactly 1 pt/gm in 2020-21 and is at 1 point/game this year.

McDavid is currently at 1.6 pts/gm after being shut out in game 1. It's not a case of small sample size. It is a case of few games played because of lack of team success. There is really no evidence that supports the notion that their current pts/gm numbers are out of line with what one might expect if the Oilers go deeper. If your team was facing a game 7 tomorrow and you could have any two of the four players would you actually include point over either McDavid or Draisaitl? My admittedly biased guess is that pretty much every NHL GM would pick the Oiler duo.

Reactions: McNuge

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
As a Flyers Fan, I don't think there is anything that could be given to equate McDavid. I would trade the whole team and prospects and all the draft picks and it would still not equal McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad