Status
Not open for further replies.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
EidYanx.png

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Too late for me but give me some pros and cons of last night
Cory, Hall and Mueller were definitely the best players. I thought Bratt had a decent game, same with Hischier. Severson was good, but he did something that caused an uproar in here at some point. Probably because he turned the puck over. Mostly everyone else was either okay or just meh.

Mojo went head first into the boards on his first shift of the game, less than a minute in. Looked really scary, but he surprisingly left the ice with little assistance and within only about 90-100 seconds of being down.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Cory and Hall were fantastic! Awesome victory on the road all things considered.

Losing Mojo after his first shift could have really hurt us with them attempting to ease Boyler back, especially with the lopsided special teams. But this team has serious character and it shows.

Schneids' best game of the season no doubt!

giphy.gif

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Did it not seem like there was time after last night where guys were standing around looking at the puck? Specifically in our own zone?

The breakout was brutal.

2 games in a row now where we have not looked good. It's nice that we are finding ways to win, and it's nice to see Cory step up and steal a game, but we have to regain our mojo.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I really hope Mojo is okay. That looked scary... it was a freak accident. Man... getting him, Palmieri, and Zajac back and healthy is going to be awesome.

I think the last two wins serve as the best indicator of what this team really is. The Devils played poorly at home against Arizona and pulled out a win... then played less than great at Vancouver and got bailed out by a stellar performance by Schneider. A sign of a good team is squeezing out wins from games where they don't play particularly well.

I thought Boyle looked great for his first night back. My only problem with him is foot speed. He's obviously not a speed demon but as he eases back into things he will be faster than he was last night. Immediate improvement in the face-off dot as well.

Great to see Meuller play well last night. I am also really enjoying watching our penalty kill haha.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Genius move to bring Boyle back for the most difficult road trip of the season. Has to be a boost in the room.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Cory, Hall and Mueller were definitely the best players. I thought Bratt had a decent game, same with Hischier. Severson was good, but he did something that caused an uproar in here at some point. Probably because he turned the puck over. Mostly everyone else was either okay or just meh.

Mojo went head first into the boards on his first shift of the game, less than a minute in. Looked really scary, but he surprisingly left the ice with little assistance and within only about 90-100 seconds of being down.

Sounds like the standard Severson game. Glad Mueller looked good, he usually get a ton of hate but I don’t think he’s been THAT bad.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I really hope Mojo is okay. That looked scary... it was a freak accident. Man... getting him, Palmieri, and Zajac back and healthy is going to be awesome.

I think the last two wins serve as the best indicator of what this team really is. The Devils played poorly at home against Arizona and pulled out a win... then played less than great at Vancouver and got bailed out by a stellar performance by Schneider. A sign of a good team is squeezing out wins from games where they don't play particularly well.

I thought Boyle looked great for his first night back. My only problem with him is foot speed. He's obviously not a speed demon but as he eases back into things he will be faster than he was last night. Immediate improvement in the face-off dot as well.

Great to see Meuller play well last night. I am also really enjoying watching our penalty kill haha.
I thought Boyle was OK. Def did well on faceoffs, but as you noted he plays at a slower speed. Do we need some size to speed balance? Maybe, but reminds me a bit of Lovejoy last year in that we bring in a guy who, fills a role, but does not play the style we want to play.

Mueller. It's that quick first step. I think it's his biggest asset, combine with his size and physicality it has the makings. Just needs to get the confidence going to make more plays with the puck. I was down on him b4 the Arizona game, but I'm feeling much better now.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Winning games we didn't deserve to win is something new. Past teams would not have pulled that game out last night.

Banking points is so important. We are obviously going to go on a losing streak at some point, but building up a bit of a lead is great. Remember, last night we were without essentially 3 of our best 6-7 forwards, too.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
yeah, it's especially important to build it now. now, when the team skids for like 5 games in a row, they'll think "meh, law of averages, it was bound to happen". confidence won't totally be drained out.

on the reverse, if they start with a losing streak, they would be in a mindset of "ugh, same old devils"

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Winning games we didn't deserve to win is something new. Past teams would not have pulled that game out last night.

Banking points is so important. We are obviously going to go on a losing streak at some point, but building up a bit of a lead is great. Remember, last night we were without essentially 3 of our best 6-7 forwards, too.
We've won games in recent years we should not have won.

I think what's different this year is, we had a stretch where we played really well and won, then immediately follow that up with a bad stretch of play but also found ways to win. Stringing that together is new.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Game was on way too late for me to watch with my schedule...what's up with the low ice time for Hischier and Zacha? Least amount of TOI for our forwards...bad turnovers/coverage or something?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Game was on way too late for me to watch with my schedule...what's up with the low ice time for Hischier and Zacha? Least amount of TOI for our forwards...bad turnovers/coverage or something?
I can see it with Nico, as he looks gassed at times, but not seeing it with Zacha.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

If I had to give a reason for PZ it would be offensive zone TOs that led to a few Vanc odd man rushes.

Though IMO PZ was stronger on the puck and along the boards than most last night.

Imo Gibbons finally had a bad game.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
What a gutsy win. This was Cory's best game in recent memory. Performances like that are what will get him back to top-5 status, in my eyes.

Hall was a monster, too. You know he was amped up before the trip, but it's nice to see it translate on-ice. He'll certainly keep it rolling heading to Edmonton; how sweet it would be to get 2 points there.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If I had to give a reason for PZ it would be offensive zone TOs that led to a few Vanc odd man rushes.

Though IMO PZ was stronger on the puck and along the boards than most last night.

Imo Gibbons finally had a bad game.

Zacha looked like a true-to-form power forward last night. Very strong on the puck and he was very active on the boards. He continues to play well, and I'm still of the thought that the points will come in bunches once the seal is broken.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What a gutsy win. This was Cory's best game in recent memory. Performances like that are what will get him back to top-5 status, in my eyes.

Hall was a monster, too. You know he was amped up before the trip, but it's nice to see it translate on-ice. He'll certainly keep it rolling heading to Edmonton; how sweet it would be to get 2 points there.
Oddly I totally forgot about this angle. Was strictly looking fwd to seeing McDavid.

Hall will be amped no doubt.

Reactions: glenwo2

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
You'd need to analyze Nico's shifts. He had plenty of ice for about half the game. He did take a rocking hit into the boards about 7 minutes into the second period.

Dorsett got him good. Nico will hopefully learn how not to put himself in vulnerable positions.

I'm worried about MoJo.
Such a freak wipe out.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
For Vanc, even though he was a minus 2, Boeser looked really good and created a bunch of scoring chances.
Heavy shot too.

Horvat was also minus 2 and IMO was a non factor even though he's having a good season.

Devils need to bring a stronger puck possession game the next time we play them on Thanksgiving weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad