GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (5-3-1) @ Detroit Red Wings (3-3-0), 7 PM, MSGSN

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
That 48GF 39GA figure for Hughes without Smith was at 5v5.

Looking forward to your next excuse.
Luke Hughes also didn't even give up many goals in general.

5v5 luke hughes allowed just 2.41 goals/60.

Now, funnily enough, Luke was one of the only ones to actually get some decent goaltending behind him. NJD just had some brutal shooting luck with him on the ice.
Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 3.50.37 PM.png

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
The stat he mentioned doesn't include the power play.

If it did it would be more like 80-45, because luke was on the ice for 42 PP goals last year

So guess we'll be blaming Pesce or Dillon when Luke is on the ice and the other team scores this year.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
So guess we'll be blaming Pesce or Dillon when Luke is on the ice and the other team scores this year.

This board is pretty fair on players when they deserve blame, what they don't is just actively trash a guy because his defensive partner was butt cheeks and his results away from Smith are way better than with last year. Does Luke need to reign in the free styling rover thing he does sometimes? Sure but he's also 21 YEARS OLD and the only coach he's had at this level was Lindy f***ing Ruff who's known for his reckless system defensively.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
If every single partner that Smith played with had worse numbers with him than when they didn't play with him. Do we really blame Hughes for that?

Smith was an anchor to everyone he played with, unfortunatly for Luke it was quite often him.

My question to you is why are you holding a 20 year old rookie to a much higher standard than a 34 year old veteran?

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
This board is pretty fair on players when they deserve blame, what they don't is just actively trash a guy because his defensive partner was butt cheeks and his results away from Smith are way better than with last year. Does Luke need to reign in the free styling rover thing he does sometimes? Sure but he's also 21 YEARS OLD and the only coach he's had at this level was Lindy f***ing Ruff who's known for his reckless system defensively.

I agree with this.

I was one of the more frustrated posters with Luke's play last season (as it went along), but he's going to get a clean slate of about 10-12 games or more again this season (new coach/system + recovery).

He did play better in the end of last season, but he had a really rough late nov/December through end of Jan last season, and I felt a lot of problems stemmed from this team giving him the keys early on and forcing it all the way through the struggles. IMO.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was gonna get the Tampa feed last game anyway because they’re the local, but I hope there’s a Devils feed tonight. I know people mentioned there was no Devils feed last game. I’m hoping it’s because of some kind of overload due to 16 games.

Mickey Redmond is absolutely brutal. He constantly talks over the PBP guy when he’s calling a goal and goes “WOW!” Or “That’s it! Yeah!!!!” Or derails it with some other nonsense.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad