GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (5-2-0, 10 Pts) vs. Washington Capitals (2-1-0, 4 Pts), 7 PM, MSGSN2

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
giphy.webp

Wait.

We got a point? :eek3:

After that sh*tshow in the 1st?

Well at least the team improved to that level this year.

BTW, I just re-watched the game and saw that Bratt had a bunch of good looks shooting the puck (but god...how I hate that he CONTINUES to try that shootout deke move that rarely works in a game) and yeah in OT he had Hughes streaking on a 2-on-one but I preferred to see Bratt shoot there which he did.

How many games now has it been for Bratt where he got at least a point?

A good amount....seems like he's continuing from where he left off last season....

Last edited:

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
I forgot Bratt was sick
You mean you were bashing him all game? Shame on you. Emperors are supposed to be benevolent....unless they use the dark side of the force. :sarcasm:

He seemingly refuses to shoot from some distance on those plays, and prefers to deke so close in tight
Hey he did shoot from a distance in OT and the Goaltender had to make a good blocker save on him so there's that.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Nobody is just going to sit in their own end for 5 minutes and if they do blow it dead and have a defensive zone faceoff.

I'm willing to bet they will. Especially if they know they have a massive advantage in the shootout.

Besides, the point is that there's so many loopholes to think about. There will always be something to be exploited.

Imo, best solution is to just get rid of the shootout

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Saw some of the game, just watched the highlights. Wow that was such an ass performance defensively.

The forwards failed to clear the zone or get the puck deep multiple times. Dougie and Dillon had a very bad night, caught up ice and missed assignments. We need Luke and Pesce back asap, they can’t keep playing 24-25 minutes a night. Siegs had an simple D to D pass after a face off win that should have led to an easy transition up ice but he coughed it up which led to a goal.

Kovacevic got caught really bad on that breakaway and another goal where Nemec’s controller disconnected which led to him covering air. He shouldn’t be playing the left side, again Luke needs to be back. The Nico change was bad but Bratt was worse biting and getting caught on the OT goal.

This was a Lindy throwback on defense, oof. A complete departure from how they played most of their games so far.

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I'm willing to bet they will. Especially if they know they have a massive advantage in the shootout.

Besides, the point is that there's so many loopholes to think about. There will always be something to be exploited.

Imo, best solution is to just get rid of the shootout
I’m not sure anyone ever has a massive advantage in shootout. Even if you have a better record or players who have done better it’s far too random and unpredictable to just hold out for IMO.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I’m not sure anyone ever has a massive advantage in shootout. Even if you have a better record or players who have done better it’s far too random and unpredictable to just hold out for IMO.

I don't know what your definition of massive is, but in 2013-2014 we were in 13 shootouts and lost all of them.

If you assume we had a 33% chance to win each one, the odds of that happening are one half of one percent.

Reactions: Deviled

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I don't know what your definition of massive is, but in 2013-2014 we were in 13 shootouts and lost all of them.

If you assume we had a 33% chance to win each one, the odds of that happening are one half of one percent.
And?

I still think going into an individual shootout the odds aren’t that different even if it’s the best shootout team vs the worst. If we said okay they’re gonna play 20 shootouts against eachother than sure I’d say the better shootout team has a notable advantage of coming out on top.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Bratt and Hughes need to be a lot better especially defensively. Jack more so than Bratt offensively.

Nico on the other hand has been a force on both sides of the puck.
Can't believe I'd be saying this but no way is Jesper in the same class as Jack in terms of struggling. (And likely much of Bratt's "struggling" has to do with playing with Hughes). Unlike Hughes, Jesper has value in the other areas of the game when he's not scoring- be it playing in small areas or penalty killing.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
If it was a decision happening right now I agree. It’s not. I’d imagine Luke is still at least another 4 games away if not more. Nemec has been playing better and if he continues to improve and play better over the next 4 games plus it is entirely possible Kovacevic comes out.

He had a tough game yesterday and his role/importance will be diminished once Pesce comes back possibly in the next game or two. Nemec has the initial advantage and expectation to be in the lineup and 7-11 good games won’t change that if Nemec is playing well when the decision has to be made.

Obviously this is entirely dependant on their play in the next little stretch before Luke’s back

Given the perceived struggles of some of the bottom forwards - and the long absences of Pesce and Hughes - wouldn't be shocked if Sheldon Keefe went with 11-7 lineups for a few games to allow the defensemen to get up to speed.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Given the perceived struggles of some of the bottom forwards - and the long absences of Pesce and Hughes - wouldn't be shocked if Sheldon Keefe went with 11-7 lineups for a few games to allow the defensemen to get up to speed.
Maybe but I don’t see that happening without a forward injury. Unless Casey is the 7th D to run the powerplay and Nemec is out which I also don’t think will happen. The problem with 7D is it just eats everyone minutes and there isn’t all that much benefit unless someone gets hurt.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Can't believe I'd be saying this but no way is Jesper in the same class as Jack in terms of struggling. (And likely much of Bratt's "struggling" has to do with playing with Hughes). Unlike Hughes, Jesper has value in the other areas of the game when he's not scoring- be it playing in small areas or penalty killing.
Who are you and what have you done with Jersey Fan 12?

• Love

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Because of the shoulder IMO. Doesn't trust it won't blow out again. That or he's been spoken to about his play and accountability and he's in sulk mode.

I mean Keefe literally praised Jack’s attention to detail defensively recently so I doubt it’s that. I also don’t get why people have it in their heads that Jack is some delicate flower that can’t handle any adversity or he mentally crumbles.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
And?

I still think going into an individual shootout the odds aren’t that different even if it’s the best shootout team vs the worst. If we said okay they’re gonna play 20 shootouts against eachother than sure I’d say the better shootout team has a notable advantage of coming out on top.

Yeah, again, I think it all depends on your definition of “massive” or “not that different” but I think if one team has a 75% chance of winning and the other team has a 25% chance of winning that’s pretty substantial.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad