GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (5-2-0, 10 Pts) vs. Washington Capitals (2-1-0, 4 Pts), 7 PM, MSGSN2

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
He’s shown it but not nearly consistently enough for someone who’s apparently supposed to be a top forward in the league.

You’re gonna need to come up with something more than just Gretzky if you want to convince me that someone can be that caliber of player while being both small and weak.
lol this is one of the dumbest arguments I’ve been in. You’re arguing that you cannot but we’ve literally seen him do it.

Yes he isn’t consistent enough but you acting like it’s not possible for a small weak player to be a star when we’ve seen him do and the greatest player of all time did it is comical. Like genuinely what even are you trying to argue at this point?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Mercer's looked a lot better this year but he's still working on his 7th straight pointless game since the first game besides picking up an ENG. He's a guy that needs to produce.

Last edited:
Reactions: SJinNewJersey

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They benched him in games they were leading by 1 and 2 at Ottawa and at Washington. Benching your least trusted defender when you’re trying to hold onto a lead is one thing…benching your second best offensive D when you’ve been down two for half the game is weird.

It's because the team can't play defense tonight, which tonight isn't his fault, but that's the reason

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
And that’s what makes their start to the season such a house of cards. No way Cotter, Haula, and Noesen et al. continue at that pace.

Also a house of cards because we have not been playing good hockey for much of the year. If this isn't just an adjustment period to Keefe and they don't start to control games they're going to tumble down the standings.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
They benched him in games they were leading by 1 and 2 at Ottawa and at Washington. Benching your least trusted defender when you’re trying to hold onto a lead is one thing…benching your second best offensive D when you’ve been down two for half the game is weird.
We were only down 2 for the last 7-8 minutes or so of that period and he got at least one shift since that point.

He’s not benched. Just not playing a ton. And there’s no point worrying about putting offensive players out while you’re in the second period still getting hemmed in your own end. I

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It's because the team can't play defense tonight, which tonight isn't his fault, but that's the reason

Which is a bad justification from Keefe and all the more reason he should play. If everyone sucks defensively and you need goals then play the guy who can help you score and don't worry about him maybe being marginally worse defensively than the rest of the shit show.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I agree and unless you’re a super duper pessimist, there’s probably no way Nico, Jack, Bratt, Dougie and Timo don’t pick up another level eventually. It should all balance out in the end.
I get that other side of it too, but after last season, these guys have to show me. I’m not penciling in anything other than career third/fourth liners regressing.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Could it be that Jack had free reign to make any and whatever plays he wanted, and now hes expected to fit into a system so hes struggling?

We are talking about a player who has likely been told little over his entire career to remain within a set of boundaries
It’s part of it. He cheats a lot to create offense and I think Keefe has cut down on that

Reactions: BahlDeep

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Could it be that Jack had free reign to make any and whatever plays he wanted, and now hes expected to fit into a system so hes struggling?

We are talking about a player who has likely been told little over his entire career to remain within a set of boundaries

He didn't look good for much of last year either so no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad