Your five favourite police/cop/detective shows

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
The Shield and The Wire stand alone as the top 2 for me.

Justified (it should count, right?) and SouthLAnd would be the next two.

For a miniseries, I'll mention Unbelievable. Great show, I think it's one of the best things Netflix has ever made.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
The Shield and The Wire stand alone as the top 2 for me.

Justified (it should count, right?) and SouthLAnd would be the next two.

For a miniseries, I'll mention Unbelievable. Great show, I think it's one of the best things Netflix has ever made.
I've never watched The Shield or Southland but I loved The Wire and Justified. Completely agree about Unbelievable too. Such a good miniseries with great acting and actual detective work. Based on true events too.

Reactions: Bruins4Lifer

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Homeland (mainly details with National Security/Intelligence though)
Narcos
Law & Order SVU
True Detective (S1 & S3)
Cops

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I've never watched The Shield or Southland but I loved The Wire and Justified. Completely agree about Unbelievable too. Such a good miniseries with great acting and actual detective work. Based on true events too.
The Shield is mostly excellent but for a weird anti-vaxx/autism plotline in like season 3 or 4? First time I ever saw Walton Goggins and he's excellent in it. Also the Glen Close season which is full on Copagandha about the benefits of civil asset forfeiture is unfortunate too.

But - Mackey is great. CH Pounder and the guy that plays Dutch are fantastic. There's just some stuff that's like... awkwardly aged? There's also this was made during the era of lots of episodes per season (I think 22ish for most of it?) so there just ends up being some awkward storylines and plotlines that end up as filler. Definitely recommend it, but it is a bit uneven at points.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Shield is mostly excellent but for a weird anti-vaxx/autism plotline in like season 3 or 4? First time I ever saw Walton Goggins and he's excellent in it. Also the Glen Close season which is full on Copagandha about the benefits of civil asset forfeiture is unfortunate too.

But - Mackey is great. CH Pounder and the guy that plays Dutch are fantastic. There's just some stuff that's like... awkwardly aged? There's also this was made during the era of lots of episodes per season (I think 22ish for most of it?) so there just ends up being some awkward storylines and plotlines that end up as filler. Definitely recommend it, but it is a bit uneven at points.

Forest Whitaker was brilliant on that show.

Reactions: Jovavic

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
The Wire stands above all others, but to be fair its my favorite show of all time.

The Shield, Luther, and Broadchurch are all very good. Also love Reno 911 even though its totally different, but one of my favorite comedies ever too.

Reactions: John Price

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
In no particular order:

Crime Story (1986-1988)
Twin Peaks (1990-1991)
The Wire (2002-2008)
The Shield (2002-2008)
Veronica Mars S1-S3 (2004-2007)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
X-Files 🐐

The Wire
Justified
Homeland
Brooklyn 99

HMs: CSI Miami, Fringe, Narcos, Archer, The Fall(Gillian Anderson is like insanely hot in this), Shetland, Gomorrah(more of a mob series but still some investigative work done in this)

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Three months is a long time
Actually, the second time I did that I kind of had a deja vu feeling. Of course, I could have scrolled up the page to check but that takes too much time. :facepalm:

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I can’t believe we’re 60+ posts in and not a single geek has mentioned how The Wire is not a cop show.

Because it isn’t. :p:

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Hill street blues
Homicide life on the street
Brooklyn nine nine
Blue Bloods

I can’t believe we’re 60+ posts in and not a single geek has mentioned how The Wire is not a cop show.

there are sure a lot of cops/detectives in that show

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald

tHe MaIn ChArAcTeR iS BaLtImOrE

Of course its cop show. The main character is a cop. The series mostly revolves around the doings of cops and criminals. Sure there are other parts of urban life that The Wire explores as well but most of those still tie into police work in some shape or form.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
The Wire
Justified
Brooklyn 99
The Shield
Homicide: Life on the Street

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The Shield Was the First rated R TV show that paved the way for all of the others. It is still one of the wildest shows ever. The fact it starred a lot of unknown actors really made it unique because of how well it was done. The final 2 episodes of the series are the most intense of any show I can remember.

Brooklyn 99 is the best comedy
Get Smart
Miami Vice
New York Undercover

Reactions: Jovavic

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I gotta watch The Shield, everybody tells me that

I’m gonna go

True Detective season 1
The Wire (its a lot of things but it is absolutely part police procedural)
Dexter
Criminal Minds
Psych (prob a top 3-5 show for me)

Sammy Kat

Jun 14, 2021
1. Justified
2. The Wire
3 Sherlock
4. The Shield
5 Blue Bloods - will miss it a lot after it ends this year.

Honourable Mention - Police Story- From the 70's but my dad found all the shows on youtube and I watched with him because it was his fav of all time and it is very good.Love the theme/chase music.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad