your expectations for this team this coming year+

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I think that many things went right last season. I kinda expect a step back, to be honest. I am not confident right now in saying that this team is a sure fire playoff team. I am still on a "wait and see" approach.

I'm curious as to why exactly you think this.

Outside of injuries (or rather lack thereof), what exactly went right that wouldn't happen again this year?

Injuries went really right sure, but for the most part, we have a bunch of players that have historically been pretty healthy. Can't say that for the rookies, but outside of that they've been a historically healthy bunch.

Our three offensive rookies all had strong possession numbers, and of them, only Marner had a high 5v5 shooting percentage.

We saw a new goalie come in and struggle at the start of the season, and slowly figure out the system (explaining the harder start we saw).

Shootout losses should improve, and even OTL's shouldn't be as high as the team figured out through the year how to hold a lead more and more.

I don't really see much reason to suggest that the team will get worse outside of injury trouble.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Outside of injuries (or rather lack thereof), what exactly went right that wouldn't happen again this year?

Injuries went really right sure, but for the most part, we have a bunch of players that have historically been pretty healthy. Can't say that for the rookies, but outside of that they've been a historically healthy bunch.

Our three offensive rookies all had strong possession numbers, and of them, only Marner had a high 5v5 shooting percentage.

We saw a new goalie come in and struggle at the start of the season, and slowly figure out the system (explaining the harder start we saw).

Shootout losses should improve, and even OTL's shouldn't be as high as the team figured out through the year how to hold a lead more and more.

I don't really see much reason to suggest that the team will get worse outside of injury trouble.

Fear of being vulnerable, and learning how to love again.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I am just being cautious. When have things ever gone smoothly? There could be under performance. Guys can also regress. I can't say we have a playoff lock after just one season where they barely scraped in.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We should be in great shape if Rielly put together his game like last year in the PO. What a fantastic 2nd pairing C he makes. Really gives us an edge and 1-2 punch with Jake.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
I expect to make it to the finals. Every team has holes in this salary cap world so I'm not too worried about our defense, but no one can match our forward depth. Hopefully Anderson improves from last year, he's the x-factor.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
i have to say - that this bothers me. there would have been a scouting report on them during the season last year. like. it's not like the other teams ignored them. We don't see this to other players so i'm not sure what the scouting report will be that would be different from like say Mid March.

I would argue the majority of the teams in the Atlantic can say the exact same thing re: health. I don't see why the leafs always get this "Well they did what they did because they were healthy." but not say that in regarding the other teams who were actually healthier than the leafs.

my expectations for the leafs are as following.

1: the Leafs do not blow as many games as they did last season.
as this was mostly predicated on the fact we ran 7-11 rookies depending on what part of the season we were in, this should change.

2: a better overtime/shootout record.
we were woeful in this regard this should improve.

3: MNM's + Brown and the Gang continue to improve - not necessarily offensively.
i'd rather the good chunk of them step back defensively, but improve on their two way games, vs. trying to obliterate more records (though that is always fun).

4: Rielly, Kadri continue to evolve in the roles they are wanting to be a part of.

5: Not losing more than 3 games in a row.

6: not going more than 6 games in a winless streak.

7: winning the season series against 3 of the following:
Montreal, Buffalo, Ottawa and Tampa.

8: making the playoffs.
that was the expectation set last season by the organization, so I don't see why ours should be any lower than that. for me i don't care where we end up - just as long as we are there

9: winning a round - depending on our opponent (but i'd expect them to play competitively and not roll over).

I agree with and think that your expectations are reasonable.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
The Maples Leafs will challenge for the division and will be one of the top three teams in the division to qualify for the playoffs, comfortably, unless there are a lot of injuries then it could go either way of in or out of the post season.

Two basic reasons, first externally no other team really improved themselves much at all in the division.

Internally, the Maple Leafs were good last season because Matthews and Kadri lead the way on the forwards, with everyone else being support pieces and they were good too. The defense held up. Anderson was good.

Anderson is in his prime. The defense, I would dare say has improved.

The forwards, what was truly surprising about Matthews was how good he was as a goal scorer, a pure sniper. He won't stop scoring. You just cannot shut those guys down, only try to control them.

Kadri, is not a 30 goal man, but who knows. I am big Kadri supporter, and this is a complete shock to see him at 30 goals. Perhaps he gets 25 next season, Uncle Leo 15 and Brown 20, which makes that a real kick ass line still.

With the addition of veteran leadership to the first line, Hyman was good, but Marleau going to be in the Hall of Fame and he can still skate and play, the 1st line and the 3rd line, will not take a step back.

Whoever plays on the 2nd line, it still will be about offense.

This team will not take a step back. Unless there are injuries.

If you think this team is not that good and will take a step back, then indicate who will suck next season.

:naughty:

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
#1 team in the Atlantic

Make it to ECF

Blowout the Oilers/Jets in all games against them

Get winning record against Habs/Sens

Win cup in next few years

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hmmm contrary to what other people think, I think Buffalo will finally step up into the playoffs. Our division will be tight. Ranking from best to worst,

1. Tampa Bay
2/3/4 Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo depending on injuries, they might rotate.
5/6 Ottawa, Florida
7. Detroit.

Ottawa and Florida could surprise into the playoffs. But I see Montreal, Tampa and Buffalo as our rivals in the division.

I still expect the Leafs to take a step up this year. Mainly because the Marleau-Matthews-Nylander line will be an improvement over the Hyman version. Our defense is better as well. Look for a playoff rental come trade deadline to boost our blue line. I predict 100+ points as I believe we will win more games in shootout.

In playoffs anything can happen. Since we are in the top half of our division, I expect us to win at least 1 round.

Boston?

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
2017-18 Playoffs:
Boston out Tampa in
Leafs fight for one of two wild card spots against Philly, NYI, Buffalo, Florida, and maybe Carolina

After that I really have no idea.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
My soft expectations as of now would be to make the playoffs. We haven't gotten worst at any position and improved the forward group by adding Marleau to it.

I also don't think whether we make it or not will be down to one player doing "x" and/or another player doing "y", unless perhaps Andersen completely ***** the bed. But as a group defending leads and showing more maturity and composure late in games will be big factor to improving on last season.

Also winning a few more shootouts would be nice as well.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
This year compared vs. last year

Optimism
- another year of learning and growing under Babs system.
Another year of experience for:
- Matthews: what can you say? Unreal how lucky we are to have this kid. Even if he only matches his goal/point total for last year he's amazing and I expect him to be used in more high leverage situations as his faceoffs continue to get better. If he's around 50% in the faceoff dot already this year, I would not be surprised. He will be slightly bigger and stronger, and if he improves his explosiveness as he says he wanted to work on this kid could be top 6-7 in the MVP race of all things go well.
- Nylander: MVP of the worlds and really looking ready to explode next year, especially if Babs keeps him with Matthews :D
-Marner: if you look at his progression since his first year in the O it's scary to think how good he could be. I expect him to exceed his points from last year, by quite a bit too
- Reilly: I think he takes a step forward like Jake did last season
- Zeitsev: has a year under his belt
- Marleau: his speed and scoring on the LW will likely take Hyman's spot on Matthews wing - big upgrade offensively
- UFA's: no matter what ultimately happens with Bozak and JVR you would think they'd be busting their ***** off this off season to have a career year and cash in on their next contract
- Brown: underrated and smart player should continue to improve, even if only marginally
- 4th line C: We went with Smith and the Goat for far too long last year. Moore is twice the 4C of either of those guys, wins faceoffs, great PKer, good speed, gritty
Goalie: Freddie showed he's a hugely important player for us and a good, solid #1
Hyman: gets a lot of criticism in here and I'm one of his critics, but he's a workhorse forechecker and great on the PK. If he manages to pull back the blinders even just a little bit or learns to stickhandle without looking down at his feet and the puck he could score 12-15 goals, not bad for a 4th line winger

Pessimistic about
Goalie: If we lose Freddie for a month to a groin pull or some crap like that we're in trouble. (Could probably say that about most teams and their #1G tho)
-Kadri: had a great year but it will be tough to not fall back down to earth a little
Hainsey: Might be exactly what Reilly needs playing on his right side, but I feel a certain way with Hainsey, kinda the same I felt about our Komi, Robidas, Beauchemin UFA signings

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
As a pesimist, my prediction won't go over well.

1. 1of the big 3 has a second year slump. My bet is on Marner.
2. An injury to Kadri or Bozak occurs and we need to find a C solution for 30ish games.
3. Babs won't want to put Nylander as a C yet so we either move Fehr in as 4c and Moore plays 3c.

These 3 things combine to have us miss the playoffs.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I am just being cautious. When have things ever gone smoothly? There could be under performance. Guys can also regress. I can't say we have a playoff lock after just one season where they barely scraped in.

No offense, but being cautious simply because things in the past haven't worked out. The past doesn't actually affect the future that way. I don't think expecting them to fight for a playoff spot is unrealistic at this point. Nor wild.

If there were underlying things that suggested that things were all a mirage than I could understand it, but there isn't that much to suggest that.

The young guys didn't explode from nowhere, they were all pretty elite prospects before this. And none of their numbers (outside of Marner's higher 5v5 percentage) suggest they'll regress like you'd usually see.

Our new goalie who helped backstop us through the end of the playoff run, won't need a month or two to figure out a totally new system.

We have a year of experience now in dealing with leads, so the issue of holding leads won't be as pronounced as it was last year.

Our underlying numbers (possession stats) don't suggest we were playing out of the norm.

We've added two experienced vets (Hainsey and Marleau) who have significant playoff experience to help continue the growth.

Sure we could always play things safe and be overly cautious, but I honestly don't see huge issues that would suggest that last year was a mirage. At all.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
If we do not have Marincin in the lineup for the whole season we may win the division, if Marincin is in the lineup all season we miss the playoffs....

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I expect to make it to the finals. Every team has holes in this salary cap world so I'm not too worried about our defense, but no one can match our forward depth. Hopefully Anderson improves from last year, he's the x-factor.

this, If he struggles or gets hurt we are sunk...

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

I think a big thing would be a sophomore slump for the big 3. Hopefully one or 2 of them take a big step forward to offset if one of them goes into a slump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad