your expectations for this team this coming year+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I hope for a playoff spot and winning at least a round.

But like in most sports it all depends on health - if the Leafs are healthy then i dont see why they cant break their franchise record of 103 points.

We had 95 points with a rookie team and a below average defense. Leafs were 7-15 in OT/SO games if we were .500 then we would have had 4 extra points bring us to 99. And if they went .500 in one goal games that is another 2 points at 101.

If it werent for a 4-8-5 stretch from the end of Jan to the start of March the Leafs could have easily broke 103 points. If the 2017-2018 Leafs are healthy i expect them to break their franchise record in points. And finish in the top 4 of the Eastern conference. But again it all depends on health.

And to reiterate i am just hoping for a playoff spot and at least winning a round even though i think they are capable of much more.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think that many things went right last season. I kinda expect a step back, to be honest. I am not confident right now in saying that this team is a sure fire playoff team. I am still on a "wait and see" approach.

Ditto

The team over exceeded expectations last year due to extreme luck with good health.

No more backup goalies on a regular basis, no more looking past the Leafs for the opposition and with regular injuries Leafs could see a step back and be battling for a last playoff spot with a bunch of teams and may be on the outside looking in this year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ditto

The team over exceeded expectations last year due to extreme luck with good health.

No more backup goalies on a regular basis, no more looking past the Leafs for the opposition and with regular injuries Leafs could see a step back and be battling for a last playoff spot with a bunch of teams and may be on the outside looking in this year.

"luck" had nothing to do with it Matthews Nylander and Marner are elite players that's why they made the playoffs

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I expect the Leafs 17/18 will look very similar to the Oilers 16/17, driven mainly by:

- Matthews a top 5 center
- Rielly take a big step forward (top 20 D man)
- one of Nylander/Marner nets 70 points
- roughly all else remaining equal with certain players taking small steps forward and backward

I understand most Leaf's fans trepidation and lack of confidence. To those people:

You've been scared of love, and what it did to you; they're going to make a run, I know what they can do. Just a simple touch, and it will set you free. You don't have to stress, you have the big 3.

I hear you..I feel it coming

Jun 27, 2005
It's good to see some realistic responses and that Homer Nation is pretty quiet.

There are a few factors that could equally go either way that will determine the Leafs success this season. In order of importance:

- Injuries to us and other teams
- Sophomore growth / slumps
- Marleau
- Andersen
- future trades

If all goes well 3rd in the division is possible, if not, missing the playoffs is certainly possible so a bubble team it is.

I think a lot of people are thinking deep playoff run but just are a little timid to say so. I expected to see more optimistic responses here.

If you believe in the "early window" phenomena, wouldn't it be appropriate to think that they will go deep this year?

Most early window teams didn't dump their top players one season before rebounding and usually had stronger D.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
My expectations are:

- Make the playoffs not as a wildcard but as a top3 team in the division

- Win a playoff round (anything more is just gravy)

- Good asset managements i.e. (do the right thing for the pending UFAs: JVR, Bozak and Komarov)

- Improved D-game as a team (not just D-men)

- More line juggling and earlier in the game when trailing (i.e. do not wait till last 10 mins of the 3rd period AND do not just flip Nylander and Brown as a means for line juggling)

- improved Goalie numbers (SV% and GAA) even if miniscule

- Do not let player(s), for example: Leivo, sit in the pressbox when one of the player(s) on the team is not performing in an offensive role.

AND

- Full ACCOUNTABILITY

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Ditto

I'm still waiting on your quantitative proof that the materially Leafs faced more backup goalies than the average eastern conference team.

Also, the amount of man games missed to significant contributors compared to the average eastern conference team. (Without simply leaning on Tampa).

Moreover, still waiting on the reveal of how you were able to enter the mindsets of the coaching staffs of opposing teams when facing the Leafs in 16/17.

Jun 27, 2005
I'm still waiting on your quantitative proof that the materially Leafs faced more backup goalies than the average eastern conference team.

Also, the amount of man games missed to significant contributors compared to the average eastern conference team. (Without simply leaning on Tampa).

Moreover, still waiting on the reveal of how you were able to enter the mindsets of the coaching staffs of opposing teams when facing the Leafs in 16/17.

Here are the injuries numbers.

http://nhlinjuryviz.blogspot.ca/2016/10/201617-team-injury-breakdowns.html

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
1. 1of the big 3 has a second year slump. My bet is on Marner.
All Marner does is create offense. Wouldn't he be the least likely of the three to have a slump? In order for Marner to slump other players would have to be slumping by not converting his creative passes. Hypothetically if Marner is not producing, likely due to linemates, he will then be placed in some context with matthews or nylander who in turn would definitely have to be in a major slump if they can't convert from Marner. What I'm saying is Marner is unlikely to suddenly stop doing what made him productive last year; he was easily the most dangerous of the three and if he had a better shot he would have won the calder.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Sophomore slumps are more myth than reality.

Anyways, the looking at this team "on paper" the expectation should be to make the playoffs comfortably and go beyond the first round.

That said luck, injuries, etc can all impact the season. In particular, if Andersen goes down for an extended period of time I doubt McBackup will be good to save a season. But then again they could also trade for a better backup of Andersen goes on LTIR

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
All Marner does is create offense. Wouldn't he be the least likely of the three to have a slump? In order for Marner to slump other players would have to be slumping by not converting his creative passes. Hypothetically if Marner is not producing, likely due to linemates, he will then be placed in some context with matthews or nylander who in turn would definitely have to be in a major slump if they can't convert from Marner. What I'm saying is Marner is unlikely to suddenly stop doing what made him productive last year; he was easily the most dangerous of the three and if he had a better shot he would have won the calder.

Nobody but Matthews was ever winning the Calder after that 4 goal game

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sophomore slumps are more myth than reality.

Anyways, the looking at this team "on paper" the expectation should be to make the playoffs comfortably and go beyond the first round.

That said luck, injuries, etc can all impact the season. In particular, if Andersen goes down for an extended period of time I doubt McBackup will be good to save a season. But then again they could also trade for a better backup of Andersen goes on LTIR

"Luck" is also a myth

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
"Luck" is also a myth

Call it luck, call it statistical outliers, Same thing.

Say A player hits the post 10 times in a game, sometimes the puck gets bounces into the net, sometimes it bounces into the corner zero consistency - not sure what else to call that.

Then you have stuff like the shootout which is more or less a coin flip considering how randomized the results are (teams tend to lack consistency in how they fair here from season to season).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Call it luck, call it statistical outliers, Same thing.

Say A player hits the post 10 times in a game, sometimes the puck gets bounces into the net, sometimes it bounces into the corner zero consistency - not sure what else to call that.

Then you have stuff like the shootout which is more or less a coin flip considering how randomized the results are (teams tend to lack consistency in how they fair here from season to season).

Our shootout record was more than luck you can't suck THAT much at something and have it simply be "luck" there is more to it than that when you are THAT bad at something

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Most early window teams didn't dump their top players one season before rebounding and usually had stronger D.

OK and I wouldn't disagree, but I was I reaching out to those who have been promoting the early window phenomena or theory. Given that we added some vets, I was wondering why those in early window camp were not more bullish and optimistic with their predictions for this year. I wasn't really looking for the reasons why we might fall short.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
High End:
Win Division
Win Cup

Low End:
2nd to last night Division ahead of Detroit
Drop maximum spots in lottery and miss out on elite draftees

Likely:
2nd in division to Tampa
Win a round in playoffs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
OK and I wouldn't disagree, but I was I reaching out to those who have been promoting the early window phenomena or theory. Given that we added some vets, I was wondering why those in early window camp were not more bullish and optimistic with their predictions for this year. I wasn't really looking for the reasons why we might fall short.

I can tell you I am in the "early window" camp and I think management as a whole is as well.

I don't thnk you sign Marleau if you don't thinl you can take a run at it this year.

Maybe Hainsey but nor Marleau

Mar 26, 2010
My expectations are for the Leafs to make the post season and be competitive.

Also, for Matthews to score more goals and points than McDavid and Laine.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
My expectations are for the Leafs to make the post season and be competitive.

Also, for Matthews to score more goals and points than McDavid and Laine.

so you expect a art ross? because scoring more points than Mcdvid would likely mean an art ross

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

I can tell you I am in the "early window" camp and I think management as a whole is as well.

I don't thnk you sign Marleau if you don't thinl you can take a run at it this year.

Maybe Hainsey but nor Marleau

Those two factors (early window plus acquired vets so we could go for it) are congruent and consistent with each other and what I'd expect to hear from those in the early window camp. I'm a little surprised that I'm not seeing more of this.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Our shootout record was more than luck you can't suck THAT much at something and have it simply be "luck" there is more to it than that when you are THAT bad at something

While it's true that here are obviously more factors than JUST luck, but fact is there's very little consistency among teams. I wouldn't blink an eye if next season the Leafs suddenly beacame one of the league's top shoutout teams without changing a thing.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Winning becomes hohum-a regular and expected occurence.

Even last year, you didn't know what the Leafs would do.
Its time we did, and losing is a bit of a surprise.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Not go 1 - 15 in OT all year.

Not blow as many 2 goal leads, what is the record? Our offense will go down 10 percent but our defense may get us in the playoffs anyway. If we don't make it, it will be just because other teams played that much better defensively. Last year's offense was outrageous, they will be expecting us this year.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Not blow as many 2 goal leads, what is the record? Our offense will go down 10 percent but our defense may get us in the playoffs anyway. If we don't make it, it will be just because other teams played that much better defensively. Last year's offense was outrageous, they will be expecting us this year.

How do you line match against

Matthews-Willy
Marleau-Marner
Kadri-Brown
Moore-Kappy

;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad