Your countries U23 team right now

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The goalie situation in Canada makes NO sense. If you can provide an explanation and a cure, Hockey Canada is listening.

As for the forwards, I have been following Canadian hockey for a long time and, I agree, the up front talent Canada has cranked out since 2000 is (beyond) "stupid". I've never seen anything like it. I guess all the <bleep> Canada put out from the 2016-2019 drafts has been turned into fertilizer because we've been blessed.
No they're not.

People have been talking abut this for ages now and still.......................they can't produce a single top quality goalie at the NHL level. The junior titles and senior titles have kept rolling in so they stick their head in the sand which is their M.O as long as there isn't any disaster.

But their disaster is coming right around the corner, I'm telling you right now. And it may as well, because those guys simply won't do anything until they are FORCED to do something.

Reactions: ORRFForever

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yurov - Demidov - Michkov
Chibrikov - Khusnutdinov - Chinakhov
Guschin - Miroshnichenko - But
Groshev - Svechkov - Trikozov

Nikishin - Mintyukov
Simashev - Mukhamadullin
Silayev - Chayka
Gulyaev

Askarov
Ivanov

Really like how Russian defensive corps are building
Buchelnikov?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
No they're not.

People have been talking abut this for ages now and still.......................they can't produce a single top quality goalie at the NHL level. The junior titles and senior titles have kept rolling in so they stick their head in the sand which is their M.O as long as there isn't any disaster.

But their disaster is coming right around the corner, I'm telling you right now. And it may as well, because those guys simply won't do anything until they are FORCED to do something.
Development requires a jolt, yes. There is complacency. Look at Canada's WJC dominance in the 90s though, right before the 1998 Olympics. People are happy to get those wins but will lose their shit after a best on best loss or, even worse, two in a row.

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Development requires a jolt, yes. There is complacency. Look at Canada's WJC dominance in the 90s though, right before the 1998 Olympics. People are happy to get those wins but will lose their shit after a best on best loss or, even worse, two in a row.
And that two in a row is coming up , I don't think we are ready at present time,

Chickens are coming home to roost very soon.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
And that two in a row is coming up , I don't think we are ready at present time,

Canada's best WJC eligible players already playing in the NHL, the goaltending situation, and the players not spending enough time together as a team as compared to the USNTDP program is going to spell trouble for us in the WJC for a while. I'm high on Ravensbergen as a goaltending prospect but he's very young, eligible for the draft in 2025.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Canada's best WJC eligible players already playing in the NHL, the goaltending situation, and the players not spending enough time together as a team as compared to the USNTDP program is going to spell trouble for us in the WJC for a while. I'm high on Ravensbergen as a goaltending prospect but he's very young, eligible for the draft in 2025.
Yeah current circumstances give the U.S a sizeable advantage over us at the juniors going forward, thankfully they don't have a talent edge over us or it would be all over.

As far as goalies go, hey............heads gotta roll at HC, they need their cages rattled, that situation is unacceptable to say the least.

lol....................you better double up on your prayers at Mass OF. I'm telling ya, we've got a problem.

Reactions: ameselare

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
lol....................you better double up on your prayers at Mass OF. I'm telling ya, we've got a problem.
You are absolutely INSANE, my dear friend...

1720297451830.png

Last edited:
  • Haha

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
we've got some holes...
I agree but the cavalry is coming. Look at the drafts since 2020. 15 players a year (on average) in the First Round.
2025 looks great, too. We cannot do anything about the 2016-2019 drafts but to suggest Hockey Canada has not stepped up since 2020 is just plain wrong.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I agree but the cavalry is coming. Look at the drafts since 2020. 15 players a year (on average) in the First Round.
2025 looks great, too. We cannot do anything about the 2016-2019 drafts but to suggest Hockey Canada has not stepped up since 2020 is just plain wrong.
15 players a year on average doesn't mean even a single one of them become elite impact players until they actually are.......keep that in mind.

And what cavalry is coming concerning the goaltending situation?...........................so far it's like napoleons in Russia.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
15 players a year on average doesn't mean even a single one of them become elite impact players until they actually are.......keep that in mind.

And what cavalry is coming concerning the goaltending situation?...........................so far it's like napoleons in Russia.
I can't speak for the goaltending but you put our drafted players up against any nation since 2020 and it's like David and Goliath. The 2020 Draft is amazing and Wyatt Johnston is the best player from 2021.

Anyway, you will ALWAYS see the negative and I have to go to Church - you should go, too. TTYL, JJ.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I can't speak for the goaltending but you put our drafted players up against any nation since 2020 and it's like David and Goliath. The 2020 Draft is amazing and Wyatt Johnston is the best player from 2021.

Anyway, you will ALWAYS see the negative and I have to go to Church - you should go, too. TTYL, JJ.
I see the positives but there's nothing wrong with injecting some points about where we could be doing a lot better.

When your are blind to problems or just flat out fail to acknowledge and deal with issues is when you get into trouble and that's what HC has a history of doing. As Canada we should never rest on our laurels when it comes to hockey, never.

That's all I'm saying.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
USA:

Matt Boldy (2001) - Jack Hughes (2001) - Cole Caufield (2001)
Matthew Knies (2002) - Matty Beniers (2002) - Trevor Zegras (2001)
Nick Robertson (2001) - Logan Cooley (2004) - Arthur Kaliyev (2001)
Cutter Gauthier (2004) - Will Smith (2005) - Bobby Brink (2001)

Luke Hughes (2003) - Brock Faber (2002)
Jake Sanderson (2002) - Cam York (2001)
Alex Vlasic (2001) - Mason Lohrei (2001)

Spencer Knight (2001)
Dustin Wolf (2001)
Drew Commesso (2002)
Boldy, Hughes and Caufield don’t qualify, didn’t check the rest after first 3 names weren’t eligible.
all 3 are 23 not U23.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Quite possibly. For most of best on best history a very valid question was Canada vs the field, that's not the case now... not even close. Canada may win because the team is easily good enough to win, but there are people who will bury their head in the sand until Canada loses, and a lot of those people will be the most reactionary voices in the other direction the next day. Develop the best players and coaches possible and the results will generally come.

WJC results aren't that big of a factor in predicting the best on best level. USA and Czech Republic won best on best tournaments before winning the WJC, and Sweden won a best on best over 20 years after winnings its only (at the time) WJC, and that was before Canada sent an actual national team. Canada won 8 of the 10 tournaments from 1988-1997, and that period of development was so poor and Canada's best on best results in 1996 and 1998 were so bad that they had a development summit to fix things.

WJC results do flatter USA relative to Canada for the reason alluded to but that doesn't matter at the senior level. Teams need to produce the right talent to compete, and looking at the potential teams for the 2026 Olympics USA is right there. Sweden is very dangerous, as is Finland. Czechs have signs of life. Is Canada's theoretical U23 team better than the American one? I don't know, but there are plenty of times in the past where a Canadian U23 team would be much better than the American team of right now or the Canadian team of right now. That should be the goal.

I don't really want to distract much more from the point of the thread, so I'll say that where Canada is at with regard to young players is disappointing. If I forgot a great U23 player or four someone can point that out and I'll be happy about it.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
^^ Hogwash! ^^

As competitive as hockey is, to average almost 50% of the First Round Picks over 5 years is amazing. If any other country did that, they'd be yelling it from the roof. Canada does it and we're disappointed.

I cannot believe how insecure Canadians are.

I remember seeing the movie, Argo, and in one scene Ben Afflack describes Canadians as nice but painfully insecure. At the time, I was upset at the comments but it is spot on. Shame on us.

2026 will be close because we <bleeped> the bed from 2016 - 2019. After that, expect Canada to jump ahead.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I see the positives but there's nothing wrong with injecting some points about where we could be doing a lot better.

When your are blind to problems or just flat out fail to acknowledge and deal with issues is when you get into trouble and that's what HC has a history of doing. As Canada we should never rest on our laurels when it comes to hockey, never.

That's all I'm saying.

The problem is : From 2016-2019, while the U.S. was having wonderful drafts, we were underproducing in a big way. That has not been the case for the last 5 years - in fact, you could make the case that the opposite has happened.

When we produce as many first round picks as all the other countries combined, we're doing something right.

We just need to get over the hump that is 2026.

Last edited:
Reactions: ameselare

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I am not blind to the problems. The problem is : From 2016-2019, while the U.S. was having wonderful drafts, we were producing garbage. That has not been the case for the last 5 years - in fact, you could make the case that the opposite has happened. We just need to get over the hump that is 2026 and the players that follow will take us to the next level.

I still think you are cashing cheques with players that haven't fully established their bona fides as elite impact players yet though. Great potential?........sure. Some established as good nhl players now? ..............sure.

But stars? other then bedard ( and that is sort of stretching it right now) none of those guys listed are elite stars yet, hopefully they get there but right now? no.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
What can i say? I hope it all pans as out like you are saying.
I just don't know what you want, JJ. Again, over the last 5 years, we have produced almost 50% of the first round picks and you say we're disappointing.

My question to you : What percentage makes you happy?

Ad

Ad

Ad