Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
As much as I like the idea of Frederic on the second line as he is showing he can score if you put him with Poitras he can help him out defensively, and the Bruins are going to win or lose based on defense.

Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Geekie
Frederic-Poitras-Brazeau
Beecher-Kastellic-Jones
This is it if Lysell doesn’t make team

Reactions: RoccoF14

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
can't help but think there's a glaring hole at 2RW and the options left are bleak
If Lysell goes out and claims that spot in camp and preseason then there isn't a hole. And if he doesn't do that, they can probably get by until the trade deadline with Geekie in that spot and then address that need then.

Reactions: Gordoff and HustleB

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Broons signed Callahan and Regula to
I am too.

Why do you think he hasn't found a landing spot?
I don't know. I read an article yesterday about the remaining UFAs and they were perplexed too and suggested that da Broons sign him.

I think Zacha is better offensively than Coyle and Coyle is better defensively.

So, if they can find a wing on line 2 that allows Marchand to bump to line 1 with Lindholm and Pasta, the top 9 might be more effective with Zacha at 2C and Coyle at 3C, and I don't think that line 1 suffers by replacing Zacha with Marchand.

The caveat is of course finding someone to play wing on line 2 that can contribute enough to make this work.
I don't think they want Poitras to play RW.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think you'll see some PTO guys in the JvR mold who come to training camp as a backup plan if Lysell doesn't make it. Blake Wheeler is still out there, as is JvR himself.

Reactions: HustleB

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I think you'll see some PTO guys in the JvR mold who come to training camp as a backup plan if Lysell doesn't make it. Blake Wheeler is still out there, as is JvR himself.
Agreed but I’d rather get no PTO than bring back JVR. Really great early in the year when healthy but he broke down very quickly. In addition I still hate the idea of him and Brazeau in the same lineup. Particularly because both should only be bottom 6 players at this point.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Personally I don't care if they ever create separate trophies for defensive and offensive D,
Just please don't insult Orr by naming the offensive trophy after him. I watched him check, block shots face first without a helmet, even fight, and to insinuate that he was just offensive would be wrong.
GOAT trophy

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
After free agency I looked up the updated Stanley Cup odds and was surprised to see how far the Bruins had fallen.

It's the complete opposite of fan reactions. Last year, Bergeron and Krejci retired and Coyle and Zacha were the expected top2 centers, fans freaked out but the bookmakers still really liked Boston.

This year, fans love the additions but the people who get paid to predict these things think this group is going to finish with 92 points and have to fight tooth and nail to get in.

Personally, I think whatever formula they use is heavily weighted towards goaltending. Last year, having Ullmark and Sway coming off strong seasons led them to expect Boston to be in every game. This year, the drop in numbers going from Ullmark to Korpisalo is having a huge effect. They obviously don't think Korpi can be rehabilitated.

I'm not a gambler, in any way shape or form, but I'd be tempted to put some money on Korpisalo having a .910+ save percent this year. I bet I'd get great odds.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
After free agency I looked up the updated Stanley Cup odds and was surprised to see how far the Bruins had fallen.

It's the complete opposite of fan reactions. Last year, Bergeron and Krejci retired and Coyle and Zacha were the expected top2 centers, fans freaked out but the bookmakers still really liked Boston.

This year, fans love the additions but the people who get paid to predict these things think this group is going to finish with 92 points and have to fight tooth and nail to get in.

Personally, I think whatever formula they use is heavily weighted towards goaltending. Last year, having Ullmark and Sway coming off strong seasons led them to expect Boston to be in every game. This year, the drop in numbers going from Ullmark to Korpisalo is having a huge effect. They obviously don't think Korpi can be rehabilitated.

I'm not a gambler, in any way shape or form, but I'd be tempted to put some money on Korpisalo having a .910+ save percent this year. I bet I'd get great odds.
To piggyback on this:

If the Bruins manage to get Swayman under contract in a way that allows them to also add Daniel Sprong (a lot of assumptions are being had here) - the Bruins will be my personal odds-on favourite for the Cup. Provided of course, that I'm wrong about Elias Lindholm.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
That's pushing him way, way closer to Swayman and Ullmark's performance than to his own last season.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
That's pushing him way, way closer to Swayman and Ullmark's performance than to his own last season.
I realize, but I’m a big believer in coaching. I also looked at the shot locations for Ottawa vs Boston and it was as opposite as you could get. I think it’s kind of a perfect storm situation for Korpisalo here. Way better defense, way fewer point blank shots, lots more perimeter shots and maybe the best goalie coach in the league.

:crossfing

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
There is /was a Sprong thread on the main boards. The take seems to be that he is very difficult.
Being called worst defensive forward in the league.
Do we actually want that for a 15-20 goal scorer?

Again, it's what has been said, I have no opinion on the matter

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Bourque is the most complete defenseman I ever saw- I don’t count Orr because he really couldn’t be human.

The Bruins cheaped out/got rid of guys they shouldn’t have and Bourque would have got at least one Cup

To say anyone was better I’m not buying- sorry Lindstrom but you swap with Ray from day one you aren’t getting squat

I’d be curious to see him start on Montreal and could they have wrestled Cups from Islanders & Edmonton in 80’s

Good way of putting it.
Spoiler alert: Bruins not in Top Ten
Inconceivable!

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think Zacha is better offensively than Coyle and Coyle is better defensively.

So, if they can find a wing on line 2 that allows Marchand to bump to line 1 with Lindholm and Pasta, the top 9 might be more effective with Zacha at 2C and Coyle at 3C, and I don't think that line 1 suffers by replacing Zacha with Marchand.

The caveat is of course finding someone to play wing on line 2 that can contribute enough to make this work.
Lysell has a lot of skill - he’s not going to be just watching and trying to live off linemates

If he was a left shot he would be a potential killer with Pastrnak but I would give him reps with Coyle & Marchand

Poitras I can see down the line but not now

With Coyle & Marchand I think this could be good

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
There is /was a Sprong thread on the main boards. The take seems to be that he is very difficult.
Being called worst defensive forward in the league.
Do we actually want that for a 15-20 goal scorer?

Again, it's what has been said, I have no opinion on the matter
I'm a huge Sprong fan. If the Bruins feel he is coachable to become more complete they should take a shot with him. He is super skilled, skates well, great shot....would be an asset on the PP, but the Bruins are building a bigger, more well rounded set of forwards it appears.

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I'm a huge Sprong fan. If the Bruins feel he is coachable to become more complete they should take a shot with him. He is super skilled, skates well, great shot....would be an asset on the PP, but the Bruins are building a bigger, more well rounded set of forwards it appears.
And also injecting some youth and providing a path for their prospects to shoot for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad