Value of: Your Backup Goalie to New York City

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah this is the type of guy that would make sense for the Rangers to trade for. Overpriced, but solid backup with a contract that expires at the end of the year. Have cap space this season and can figure out cheaper backup option in the off-season.

Would Edmonton do this? The way Georgiev is playing, he could cost the team a playoff spot by dropping so many points when he starts
Edmonton probably doesn't do this. Not unless we have a plan to flip Georgiev in another deal for a better goalie than Koskinen.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Was listening to the 31 thoughts podcast. They were saying that the Rangers are hanging their goalies out to dry. That their record is Shesterkin standing on his head and not great play by the team. Maybe blaming the other goalies is placing the blame where it doesnt belong

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
Was listening to the 31 thoughts podcast. They were saying that the Rangers are hanging their goalies out to dry. That their record is Shesterkin standing on his head and not great play by the team. Maybe blaming the other goalies is placing the blame where it doesnt belong

That was true in the early part of the season, but hasn't been for a while now - we've been winning and outplaying the opposition fairly consistently.

Georgiev has also been an issue since before this year.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Georgiyev sucks and the team needs to play better. Both can be true.

Reactions: txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That was true in the early part of the season, but hasn't been for a while now - we've been winning and outplaying the opposition fairly consistently..

I am not watching a lot of their games but checking the game log for November....36, 37, 45, 34, 33, 30, 21, 36. This is shots against for Shest. This what you mean by outplaying? The Rangers are 30th in shots for and 13 in shots against. That tends to support the stats above. They are 14th in goals for and 24th in goals against. That supports the shots stats and doesnt really sound like a good team. A .933 sv% fixes a lot of problems.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Can we just call Vancouver up for Halak and get this over with ?

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
I am not watching a lot of their games but checking the game log for November....36, 37, 45, 34, 33, 30, 21, 36. This is shots against for Shest. This what you mean by outplaying? The Rangers are 30th in shots for and 13 in shots against. That tends to support the stats above. They are 14th in goals for and 24th in goals against. That supports the shots stats and doesnt really sound like a good team. A .933 sv% fixes a lot of problems.

Things started to get turned around after the big loss to Calgary. Since then, expected goals at 5v5 look like this (Rangers/Opposition):

FLA - 1.58/3.22
CBJ - 2.04/3.66
NJD - 3.41/1.68
MTL - 2.82/1.74
TOR - 1.91/2.46
BUF - 2.98/0.83
NYI - 1.55/0.66
BOS - 2.13/1.66

Also, since hitting its's low point of -1.5848 on Nov 13, our 5-game moving average xG differential has steadily increased to 0.8062 (for comparison, FLA's figure for the same stat peaked at 1.0304 and is currently at 0.6708).

We were an absolute dumpster fire in October and early November, but things have gotten turned around. Whether that continues or we regress... I can't see the future, can you?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Things started to get turned around after the big loss to Calgary. Since then, expected goals at 5v5 look like this (Rangers/Opposition):

FLA - 1.58/3.22
CBJ - 2.04/3.66
NJD - 3.41/1.68
MTL - 2.82/1.74
TOR - 1.91/2.46
BUF - 2.98/0.83
NYI - 1.55/0.66
BOS - 2.13/1.66

Also, since hitting its's low point of -1.5848 on Nov 13, our 5-game moving average xG differential has steadily increased to 0.8062 (for comparison, FLA's figure for the same stat peaked at 1.0304 and is currently at 0.6708).

We were an absolute dumpster fire in October and early November, but things have gotten turned around. Whether that continues or we regress... I can't see the future, can you?

I find expected goals and such to be a very weak gauge. Actual shots and goals and stuff i find more compelling. Ive seen 5 v 5 expected goals stuff that shows Ovechkin mediocre at best this season when their actual goal differential is off the hook.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
UH OH! Bern's never going to pry Broberg without that key piece of the package. I guess its back to the drawing board.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

As someone said the team has improved significantly since earlier in the season and there's no team in the league where even an average goalie would be 0.858 save percentage, come on.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I find expected goals and such to be a very weak gauge. Actual shots and goals and stuff i find more compelling. Ive seen 5 v 5 expected goals stuff that shows Ovechkin mediocre at best this season when their actual goal differential is off the hook.

Not saying expected goals are perfect, but even 30 years ago before the fancy stats people realized that quality of shots is a thing. You can face 40 shots of low quantity and you can face 20 shots of high quality, I know what I'd prefer as a goalie. Also, Ovechkin is the best goal scorer of all time him outperforming an expected goals stat is not a good barometer.

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012

Cool.

The point remains - we're playing much, much better than we were at the start of the season. I'm not sure why you're acting so wedded to the idea that we're not.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I'm really confused about these stats. When you say 24th in goals against are you counting backwards? They're 7th in goals against. It looks like you're counting backwards with shots, they're 21st in shots against, which isn't good but for some reason you're including shots for and making it look worse but that has nothing to do with our goalies. The Rangers are trending in the right direction, there was always going to be a period of time where the team was learning Gallant's system, like the Caps were learning Laviolette's system last year. This happens with most teams. They're trending in the right direction and regardless no even average goalie would put up an 0.858 save percentage even on a terrible team.

You clearly are hoping the Rangers "fall back down to earth" and give you guys separation.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad