Line Combos: Your 2024-25 Opening Night Lineup

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
With your philosophy, JBB should trade almost all the remaining picks for 2025 and 2026. We've got a 4th, 5th, 6th and four 7ths for this year he could trade to make this "win now" roster even better. Why is JBB hanging on to them? Maybe he doesn't know, in your assessment, these yet-to-be-named players aren't going to be a factor. The recent cup winning GMs in Florida and Colorado don't know any better either as they're stuck with a number of these inconsequential mid to late round draft picks this year. Maybe you can't even give them away? Though it does make me wonder how or why JBB managed to accumulate three additional 7th rounders for this year alone.

In addition to the value of draft picks to the team in its current state, our disagreement revolves around you being in whole hog with JBB that we are still contenders, and I'm much less so. I'd say the last two seasons support my position more than yours. Regardless, I'll be watching this year hoping to be wonderfully surprised and seeing a deep cup run, I just won't bet any money on it.
If you don't think this team is still contending/contenders, then yeah, we have nothing further to discuss. Teams in their windows shouldn't prioritize lottery tickets that may pan out 3 or 4 years down the road at the expense of getting g upgrades now imo. Neither of the last two 1st round exits indicates that this team is done either in my view. They outplayed the Leafs in several areas and lost because Vasy played likely the worst 6 games of his career. They had been ayi g better down the stretch this past season, but a combination of the defense still having issues, some of the top F's.having a bad series, and facing the best team in the league in rd 1 was too much to overcome. The core is still strong, the defense is improved, and Vasy will hopefully start the year healthy, rested, and back to top 5 form. Some of the F depth is still questionable, but overall, this team has the tools to make another run with this group.

Reactions: Fan from AK

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The problem with trading picks isn't about making the picks. It's about saving something for future moves. The problem with the Jeannot trade was that we spent all of our tradeable assets on a guy who didn't perform. So it left us limited in the moves we could make at the TDL last year. Had to go bargain shopping.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Tanner Jeannot he clearly knows how to win a trade and maximize his value.
Given the regularity of your disapproving comments on Jeannot even though he is no longer part of the organization, I certainly hope you are charging him rent for the massive amount of space he is taking up in your head.
It is VERY disappointing that self-proclaimed HIGHLY knowledgeable hockey fans such as yourself refuse to accept the fact that not every trade works out for the best and not dwell on the negative side of the past but instead learn from the past and move forwards into the future.
But if that is what it takes to get clicks, replies and attention to your posts, so be it.

TampaIceman

Jun 29, 2024
I mean everyone has the right to an opinion and all NHL players, coaches and front office personnel are fair game for criticism but the fact that there are fans that actually believe that a GM who in 6 seasons has a President’s Cup, two Stanley Cups and 3 Eastern Conference championships should be on the hot seat when his team has never missed the playoffs (and honestly never even had it in serious doubt) kind of boggles the mind. There might be a perfect GM out there that always drafts the right prospects, doesn’t overpay any players and wins all the trades but I have yet to see it any sport. JBB makes enough money to deal with any criticism thrown at him but people need to have some perspective.

Reactions: LTIR Trickery

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Given the regularity of your disapproving comments on Jeannot even though he is no longer part of the organization, I certainly hope you are charging him rent for the massive amount of space he is taking up in your head.
It is VERY disappointing that self-proclaimed HIGHLY knowledgeable hockey fans such as yourself refuse to accept the fact that not every trade works out for the best and not dwell on the negative side of the past but instead learn from the past and move forwards into the future.
But if that is what it takes to get clicks, replies and attention to your posts, so be it.
Cut bait with bad players that don't produce. Back to back first round exits is unacceptable with a core loaded with HOF talent.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Cut bait with bad players that don't produce. Back to back first round exits is unacceptable with a core loaded with HOF talent.
Yet continue to sign older players whose better seasons are behind them and have become one dimensional?
Fan girl/boy or not, even you have to admit Stamos has been a liability the last season and a half UNLESS he is playing on the man advantage.
As for the HOF core, when you are tying up over 64 percent of your cap in a handful of players, just what kind of talent do you expect to be able to sign to support them? Especially when you dealt nearly all of you your Cap friendly entry level contract players away to go back-to-back Champions and nearly three-peat, as ANY organization would have given the chance?
Have Lightning fans learned nothing watching the state of the Penguins after they refused to move/release aging fan favorites in an effort to keep the fan base happy while dressing a HOF core with little to no supporting cast?

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Yet continue to sign older players whose better seasons are behind them and have become one dimensional?
Fan girl/boy or not, even you have to admit Stamos has been a liability the last season and a half UNLESS he is playing on the man advantage.
As for the HOF core, when you are tying up over 64 percent of your cap in a handful of players, just what kind of talent do you expect to be able to sign to support them? Especially when you dealt nearly all of you your Cap friendly entry level contract players away to go back-to-back Champions and nearly three-peat, as ANY organization would have given the chance?
Have Lightning fans learned nothing watching the state of the Penguins after they refused to move/release aging fan favorites in an effort to keep the fan base happy while dressing a HOF core with little to no supporting cast?
Stamkos has his weaknesses but he is much better than Sheary or Atkinson in the top 6 paired with Cirelli. Now the problem is JBB made several made moves in a row giving big extensions to players that didn't produce to their contracts Cernak, Cirelli, Vasi, and Sergachev. Paul was the only guy to take a step forward after his big contract. Next you have his terrible signings and trades over the last two seasons in De Hann, Jeannott,Sheary,Dumba ,and potentially letting Stamkos go for around 4 to 5 million per season. Duclair was a decent aquisition. I know we didn't give much for Duma but it was pointless because he wasn't what we needed in the bottom 6 defenseman. He tried to fix it by getting McDonough back , but then no one wanted Sheary so he signed Atkinson. We lack a true top 6 forward and possibly two depending on how you feel about Cirelli. Cirelli is fine in the top 6 if we had two other legit top 6 wingers carrying him, but he is about 15% to 25% overpaid for what he brings to the table. We also seem to have stalled turning out quality prospects in syracuse and need to do a better job drafting and developing moving forward.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I am quietly cheering for Sheary next year, guy gets shit on way too much. Horrible year, but I expect him to be a solid 25-30 point contributer if he can stay healthy.

I feel like since he makes more than league minimum and has a NTC, the expectations for him are a little out of whack.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Stamkos has his weaknesses but he is much better than Sheary or Atkinson in the top 6 paired with Cirelli. Now the problem is JBB made several made moves in a row giving big extensions to players that didn't produce to their contracts Cernak, Cirelli, Vasi, and Sergachev. Paul was the only guy to take a step forward after his big contract. Next you have his terrible signings and trades over the last two seasons in De Hann, Jeannott,Sheary,Dumba ,and potentially letting Stamkos go for around 4 to 5 million per season. Duclair was a decent aquisition. I know we didn't give much for Duma but it was pointless because he wasn't what we needed in the bottom 6 defenseman. He tried to fix it by getting McDonough back , but then no one wanted Sheary so he signed Atkinson. We lack a true top 6 forward and possibly two depending on how you feel about Cirelli. Cirelli is fine in the top 6 if we had two other legit top 6 wingers carrying him, but he is about 15% to 25% overpaid for what he brings to the table. We also seem to have stalled turning out quality prospects in syracuse and need to do a better job drafting and developing moving forward.
We have stalled having quality prospects in the pipeline in exchange for the post season success of the past five years. Syracuse fans gave a heads up of that fact, but were onboard with the "Win at All Cost NOW" attitude the organization and most of the fan base wanted and worked out well. If you look over past comments, you will see I was one of the most vocal about the lack of depth on the farm and the willingness of fans to not look beyond the current success at the future

When we started the run, our farm system was rated at or near the top by everyone who have far more knowledge about hockey and gets paid to do their reporting that I do. We had the prospects to make the major moves without dipping into our future draft. As time went on and players left, the pipeline started to dry and we had to go into the draft choices if we wanted to continue to seek the success now at the cost of the future. Again, the vast majority of the fan base was OK with this even though fans in Syracuse started to see the results of these decisions in a marked decrease in talent and numbers. This was never more evident than having to share the stocking of the Crunch roster with Florida during the '21 season.

We may never know what number Stamkos was willing to sign in Tampa Bay for. Given what he signed in Nashville for, it is doubtful the Lightning could have made it interesting and still been able to get support for a roster that has seen back-to-back first round exits due to a lack of support to the core.

On paper, this season's roster is stronger. That being typed, in addition to writing paper is used for another project that it may very well be needed for should the Lighting's annual injury bug hit the wrong players at the wrong time as there is no depth on the farm to fill in.

Enjoy your day.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I am quietly cheering for Sheary next year, guy gets shit on way too much. Horrible year, but I expect him to be a solid 25-30 point contributer if he can stay healthy.

I feel like since he makes more than league minimum and has a NTC, the expectations for him are a little out of whack.
I think everybody is because he legitimately can't be much worse. Plays died not only on his stick but his proximity, too. He's like a gnat on the forecheck. IIRC, it was a tendon and not lower body injury he had. One would think we should see a noticeable improvement on the forecheck and ability to win a puck battle, but if not, those Caps/Sabres fan assessments are pretty spot on. I'm hoping he turns it around because the dude can't let me down anymore, even taking into consideration he's just a 2M cap hit.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
We traded for him and he sucked. JBB gave him a raise and extended him. He came back and looked even worse. This is quite the opposite of just a trade that didn't work out like Dumba trade.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
We traded for him and he sucked. JBB gave him a raise and extended him. He came back and looked even worse. This is quite the opposite of just a trade that didn't work out like Dumba trade.
He got a two-year deal to make 3% of the salary cap.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
If you don't think this team is still contending/contenders, then yeah, we have nothing further to discuss. Teams in their windows shouldn't prioritize lottery tickets that may pan out 3 or 4 years down the road at the expense of getting g upgrades now imo. Neither of the last two 1st round exits indicates that this team is done either in my view. They outplayed the Leafs in several areas and lost because Vasy played likely the worst 6 games of his career. They had been ayi g better down the stretch this past season, but a combination of the defense still having issues, some of the top F's.having a bad series, and facing the best team in the league in rd 1 was too much to overcome. The core is still strong, the defense is improved, and Vasy will hopefully start the year healthy, rested, and back to top 5 form. Some of the F depth is still questionable, but overall, this team has the tools to make another run with this group.
I don't think this team is getting back to a Conference Final or Final anytime soon unless everyone plays at their 95-100% capability and/or we get some prospects/unknowns to overachieve significantly.

Reactions: BoltSTH and OffBy1

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Jeannot was brought in to fill a position that was and is once again seriously lacking on this team; a deterrent to give the far more talented players room.
Would you rather have Jeannot taking lumps protecting his teammates or a skilled player like Kooch or Heddy having to defend himself and be off the ice for five minutes while risking hurting his hand or a cheekbone trying to do something that is not part of his game? This team is now soft and no one can deny that. Team toughness is one thing but when your team toughness is based on which player will be the opponent's speed bag each game, it is not the way to win.
Now that Jeannot is gone, are you going to continue to dwell on and in the past which cannot be changed, or are you going to look to the future and find a new player to blame for everyone else's failures?
There are posters on this team site who laugh and joke about the fans of other organizations, yet themselves are just as bad if not worse. Some have grown arrogant and spoiled with the success of the team and fail to understand that there are high and low points for every organization that must be accepted as part of being fans.
Cheering the good times and complaining about the bad are acceptable until you spend all of your time doing one or the other. At that point, you are no longer providing useful information and comments but have become the very type of fan that others shake their head at wondering how you are managing to type while still asleep dreaming in whatever fantasy world in in your head.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Jeannot was brought in to fill a position that was and is once again seriously lacking on this team; a deterrent to give the far more talented players room.
Would you rather have Jeannot taking lumps protecting his teammates or a skilled player like Kooch or Heddy having to defend himself and be off the ice for five minutes while risking hurting his hand or a cheekbone trying to do something that is not part of his game? This team is now soft and no one can deny that. Team toughness is one thing but when your team toughness is based on which player will be the opponent's speed bag each game, it is not the way to win.
Now that Jeannot is gone, are you going to continue to dwell on and in the past which cannot be changed, or are you going to look to the future and find a new player to blame for everyone else's failures?
There are posters on this team site who laugh and joke about the fans of other organizations, yet themselves are just as bad if not worse. Some have grown arrogant and spoiled with the success of the team and fail to understand that there are high and low points for every organization that must be accepted as part of being fans.
Cheering the good times and complaining about the bad are acceptable until you spend all of your time doing one or the other. At that point, you are no longer providing useful information and comments but have become the very type of fan that others shake their head at wondering how you are managing to type while still asleep dreaming in whatever fantasy world in in your head.
So did jeannot deter montour from cross checking kucheov in the back of the head then falling on his neck intentionally? No he didn't he punch his face in. So the one thing is was supposed to do he completely failed at for 2.65 million per year which was a raise of almost 2 million from his 800k salary prior to getting resigned . This is an issue you don't reward someone who didn't do their job versus Toronto with more money and expect him to succeed to perform better the next season. Rewarding failure financially is never smart. Jeannot brought nothing to the table when he isn't punching people in the face. Just like shary brings nothing to the table because be can't produce , stay healthy, undersized, not physical, lost speed, and doesn't play a game fit for the bottom 6.

Last edited:

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I don't think this team is getting back to a Conference Final or Final anytime soon unless everyone plays at their 95-100% capability and/or we get some prospects/unknowns to overachieve significantly.
With the upgrades Tampa made at F and D in Guentzel and McD, they should have a chance. Have to wait and see if Sheary can bounce back in a, hopefully, injury free season, and Vasy back to full form as well. There's also the new guys Atkinson and Moser, so they could also be a factor this season. It was always going to take 95-100% levels of play to win a Cup regardless of who they had. The only team in the Atlantic that I would start the year as reasonably ahead of Tampa is Florida, and we'll see what kind of hangover they have from success and a short offseason.

Reactions: Renopucker

TampaIceman

Jun 29, 2024
I do find it odd that other players seemed to fear Jeannot as a fighter but he didn’t real serve an enforcer role. Austin Watson was more the one that was sent out to settle scores on the ice. Teams would take liberties with other players and not be too concerned with retribution from Jeannot, they just avoided tangling with him one on one.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I do find it odd that other players seemed to fear Jeannot as a fighter but he didn’t real serve an enforcer role. Austin Watson was more the one that was sent out to settle scores on the ice. Teams would take liberties with other players and not be too concerned with retribution from Jeannot, they just avoided tangling with him one on one.
I don't know that anyone was ever sent out to settle a score. The thing about Jeannot is, while he CAN fight, probably top 2 or 3 in the league... he's just not intimidating. I'd rather have Maroon, who was a so-so fighter, but always willing to let the other team know he would give it a go. Something in that area was just missing with Jeannot. So yeah, in general I agree. The guy could fight but nobody was actually afraid of him, which made his ability kind of meaningless.

Reactions: Outl4w

Fan from AK

May 19, 2021
Alaska
They on paper look a lot better in my worthless opinion. Stammer and Serg, were a train wreck even strength. All I have is just a fan's take.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Which he did the 3 years leading up to being signed by Tampa. Unfortunately, JBB doesn't have a crystal ball to be able to tell him when players are going to miss many games bc of injuries. As long as Sheary can stay healthy this year, we'll find out how the contract value looks. If he doesn't work out this season, he'll be easier to move with just one year left, or waive/bury if needed. The 2.3 % of the cap he's making this season isn't crippling them, and if he gets back to the level he was before Tampa, the value will be at least solid.
A player that has touched 40 points twice In his 10 year career that injured, undersized, and losing speed is highly unlikely to bounce back. Hopefully he does but I wouldn't put a dollar on it.

He got a two-year deal to make 3% of the salary cap.
He almost trippled his yearly salary for a first round exit where be didn't move the team.forward at all. That is where you make the case you didn't live up to expectations and offer one year cheap deal or send him packing.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
A player that has touched 40 points twice In his 10 year career that injured, undersized, and losing speed is highly unlikely to bounce back. Hopefully he does but I wouldn't put a dollar on it.
The last 3 years before signing with Tampa, Sheary averaged 18 goals and 38 points based on a 82 game season. Based on actual goals and points, he was still averaging 16 goals and 35 points for that period. He's undersized and streaky, but before this past season, again looking at the past 3, he played in 206 out of 220 possible regular season games, so not exactly stats that would indicate an oft injured player. For a 2 million aav, it wasn't bad value based on his numbers. It was a year longer than I thought JBB would go, but perhaps that was the trade off to get him for 2 million.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I don't know that anyone was ever sent out to settle a score. The thing about Jeannot is, while he CAN fight, probably top 2 or 3 in the league... he's just not intimidating. I'd rather have Maroon, who was a so-so fighter, but always willing to let the other team know he would give it a go. Something in that area was just missing with Jeannot. So yeah, in general I agree. The guy could fight but nobody was actually afraid of him, which made his ability kind of meaningless.
I think paradoxically, the fact that he is such a strong fighter that you risk getting caved means everyone just avoids him entirely if they can help it, versus a guy like Maroon that can draw you into answering the bell by getting under your skin. Jeannot just never added that agitator edge to his repertoire that causes opponents to do something irrational.

Reactions: DFC

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I think paradoxically, the fact that he is such a strong fighter that you risk getting caved means everyone just avoids him entirely if they can help it, versus a guy like Maroon that can draw you into answering the bell by getting under your skin. Jeannot just never added that agitator edge to his repertoire that causes opponents to do something irrational.
Agreed. Jeannot is better suited on a team with agitator. Asking him to be that guy and basically the only one in addition to... uh... Cernak? Really doesn't cut it.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
But we still need the guy who can fight and spark team with some tough stuff, and the only one at this moment who can do this here is...Ace...WE began to win this whole thing when we got someone who can stand for our guys, drop gloves and punch opposites

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $30,594.00