Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Ha hahaha….😂

How in the blue f*** is Sullivan Ranked #5? Brian Compton is a f***ing moron and I see he used to be at the New York Post, makes sense. "Well deserved honors for sure" based on what 2015-2017's worth of work and ignoring all of 2018 to now? How? HOW?

That has to be one of the worst lists I have ever seen for coaching rankings given what these coaches have done, in lets just say the last 5 years which I think is fair, 5 years worth of their work as a basis.

How is Jim Montgomery ranked below him? Brindy at 6th, Montgomery at 9th? That list is absolutely dreadful and pathetic.

Why are we trading DOC for Robertson when we can offer sheet him?
He's got more talent and a higher ceiling than Drew and he's also younger. I see the usuals want Puustinen traded instead, not surprised.

And yes, if they don't want Acciari, just waive his useless ass.

Edit: Actually you know what, yes, I think maybe dealing Puustinen + 3rd for Nick Robertson would be pretty good. It'll be fun to see Puustinen playing with Tavares on the 3rd line and finally getting a proper shot with some talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Here's some funny shit from that link - Super 16: Cooper, Maurice top coach power rankings | NHL.com

These ones are accurate for where Sullivan likely belongs.
JEAN-FRANCOIS CHAUMONT

1. Paul Maurice; 2. Jim Montgomery; 3. Rick Tocchet; 4. Jon Cooper; 5. Pete DeBoer; 6. Bruce Cassidy; 7. Rod Brind'Amour; 8. Andrew Brunette; 9. Jared Bednar; 10. Peter Laviolette; 11. John Tortorella; 12. Kris Knoblauch; 13. Mike Sullivan; 14. Craig Berube; 15. Andre Tourigny; 16. Sheldon Keefe

DEREK VAN DIEST

1. Jon Cooper; 2. Bruce Cassidy; 3. Paul Maurice; 4. Pete DeBoer; 5. Rick Tocchet; 6. Jim Montgomery; 7. Rod Brind'Amour; 8. Jared Bednar; 9. Peter Laviolette; 10. Kris Knoblauch; 11. Mike Sullivan; 12. Lindy Ruff; 13. Martin St. Louis; 14. Sheldon Keefe; 15. Patrick Roy; 16. John Tortorella

I am guessing because of the name association to back 2 back cups, most of them are ranking Sullivan high for just based on that while a few have actually done the homework and ranked them accordingly based on their more recent work rather than what they did almost a decade ago.

NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA

1. Jon Cooper; 2. Mike Sullivan; 3. Bruce Cassidy; 4. Jared Bednar; 5. Paul Maurice; 6. Peter Laviolette; 7. John Tortorella; 8. Dan Bylsma; 9. Craig Berube; 10. Pete DeBoer; 11. Jim Montgomery; 12. Rod Brind'Amour; 13. Rick Tocchet; 14. Sheldon Keefe; 15. Andrew Brunette; 16. Lindy Ruff

This one was just out to lunch. Disco shouldn't be on that list, he is just returning to the NHL as a coach. Sullivan is #2 to him for what he did from 2015-17 rather than the last 5 seasons, hilarious. He is basically ranking his by who has cups as Head Coaches because the first 9 are all Cup winning coaches, so really some of these idiots didn't even have a proper criteria and just looked at "Who won stanley cups that are still coaches and decent enough."

This one was interesting...
BILL PRICE

1. Paul Maurice; 2. Jon Cooper; 3. Pete DeBoer; 4. Peter Laviolette; 5. Jim Montgomery; 6. Rod Brind'Amour; 7. Bruce Cassidy; 8. Mike Sullivan; 9. Rick Tocchet; 10. Craig Berube; 11. Kris Knoblauch; 12. Jared Bednar; 13. John Tortorella; 14. Derek Lalonde; 15. Dean Evason; 16. Spencer Carbery

So Cassidy had the Bruins as one of the top teams in the league for years, then was fired, went to Vegas, won a cup and still made the playoffs this past season and somehow he's ranked 7th right before Mike Sullivan at 8th. And then Derek Lalonde? Lol.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
How in the blue f*** is Sullivan Ranked #5? Brian Compton is a f***ing moron and I see he used to be at the New York Post, makes sense. "Well deserved honors for sure" based on what 2015-2017's worth of work and ignoring all of 2018 to now? How? HOW?

That has to be one of the worst lists I have ever seen for coaching rankings given what these coaches have done, in lets just say the last 5 years which I think is fair, 5 years worth of their work as a basis.

How is Jim Montgomery ranked below him? Brindy at 6th, Montgomery at 9th? That list is absolutely dreadful and pathetic.

He's got more talent and a higher ceiling than Drew and he's also younger. I see the usuals want Puustinen traded instead, not surprised.

And yes, if they don't want Acciari, just waive his useless ass.

Edit: Actually you know what, yes, I think maybe dealing Puustinen + 3rd for Nick Robertson would be pretty good. It'll be fun to see Puustinen playing with Tavares on the 3rd line and finally getting a proper shot with some talent.
Why are we adding Puustinen when we can offer sheet Robertson for a 3rd?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Here's some funny shit from that link - Super 16: Cooper, Maurice top coach power rankings | NHL.com

These ones are accurate for where Sullivan likely belongs.

I am guessing because of the name association to back 2 back cups, most of them are ranking Sullivan high for just based on that while a few have actually done the homework and ranked them accordingly based on their more recent work rather than what they did almost a decade ago.

This one was just out to lunch. Disco shouldn't be on that list, he is just returning to the NHL as a coach. Sullivan is #2 to him for what he did from 2015-17 rather than the last 5 seasons, hilarious. He is basically ranking his by who has cups as Head Coaches because the first 9 are all Cup winning coaches, so really some of these idiots didn't even have a proper criteria and just looked at "Who won stanley cups that are still coaches and decent enough."

This one was interesting...

So Cassidy had the Bruins as one of the top teams in the league for years, then was fired, went to Vegas, won a cup and still made the playoffs this past season and somehow he's ranked 7th right before Mike Sullivan at 8th. And then Derek Lalonde? Lol.
Forget them all… I saw Blysma at 8 and loudly laughed out loud… Jesus… :laugh:

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
You mean the guy who publically acknowledged he was a stubborn.

Versus our guy still getting high on his own farts blathering on about "playing the right way" ?

Yeah. I have more respect for bylsma right now than in a LONG time

"Maybe I was a stubborn-minded guy thinking there was only one way to play,” Bylsma said. “There isn’t just one way to play.

“I’ve matured as a coach and as a hockey guy. There isn’t one way, there isn’t one right way. Maybe I was stubborn about that before, but I’m more of a mindset now that it’s about getting players to decide as a group how were’ going to play, how we’re going to win, and getting them in the fight and building them up to move in that direction.”

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
You mean the guy who publically acknowledged he was a stubborn.

Versus our guy still getting high on his own farts blathering on about "playing the right way" ?

Yeah. I have more respect for bylsma right now than in a LONG time

"Maybe I was a stubborn-minded guy thinking there was only one way to play,” Bylsma said. “There isn’t just one way to play.

“I’ve matured as a coach and as a hockey guy. There isn’t one way, there isn’t one right way. Maybe I was stubborn about that before, but I’m more of a mindset now that it’s about getting players to decide as a group how were’ going to play, how we’re going to win, and getting them in the fight and building them up to move in that direction.”

He did a great job in Coachella. That team sucks and he got to them B2B cup finals.

Also to be honest, unlike Sullivan he did a great job with the Penguins when they basically had one star forward with Sid and Malkin’s injuries.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Yeah it's quite comical, one even had Lalonde on the list and he's an awful coach. Sullivan being in the top 10 is comical, I saw another list of top 10 coaches somewhere and Sullivan wasn't anywhere near it and that had more credibility just because of it. Sullivan isn't even the best American born coach in the last 5 seasons.

I still get a kick out of this, I bookmarked it for the laughs at the end of the season and sure enough it was definitely good for it.

12. Pittsburgh Penguins (21-15-6) When the Pens were under .500 in early December, it was fair to wonder if the second-longest tenured coach in the NHL was coming to the end in Pittsburgh. But Mike Sullivan has the club cooking now in a season where it absolutely has to make the playoffs.

At the end of the season...

Reporters - "Who do you think was the main reason this team didn't make the playoffs?"

Sullivan...
giphy.gif

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Why are we adding Puustinen when we can offer sheet Robertson for a 3rd?
To liberate Puustinen from a trash organization.

Also it puts the Penguins right at the 50 contract limit so no, you need to move out someone somehow and if the Penguins are going to offer-sheet Robertson this late, they need to have a trade in place pending this not being matched. Robertson might not sign either because if it's a number the Leafs can make work, then they will match no matter what and from what a 3rd would be in the range of 1.5-2.29m, Toronto can literally match that and still have more cap space than the Penguins by just sending down one of the players that doesn't win a spot (Holmberg or Dewar really, or they can waive Reaves and get only a 100k relief on top of 85k they'd have by the 2.29m offer-sheet they'd match easily) in camp so Nick Robertson is very unlikely to sign an offer-sheet given that.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

Also it puts the Penguins right at the 50 contract limit so no, you need to move out someone somehow and if the Penguins are going to offer-sheet Robertson this late, they need to have a trade in place pending this not being matched. Robertson might not sign either because if it's a number the Leafs can make work, then they will match no matter what and from what a 3rd would be in the range of 1.5-2.29m, Toronto can literally match that and still have more cap space than the Penguins by just sending down one of the players that doesn't win a spot (Holmberg or Dewar really, or they can waive Reaves and get only a 100k relief on top of 85k they'd have by the 2.29m offer-sheet they'd match easily) in camp so Nick Robertson is very unlikely to sign an offer-sheet given that.

The issue has never been a contract, it's been Robertson not wanting to play for the Leafs given their plans for him and how it all went down the last few years for him there, he wants out and just wants a fresh start and Toronto wants to sign him and keep him. If the Penguins offered 2.29m for the 3rd rounder compensation, he's being signed for less than his previous contract, Toronto matches that and laughs at Dubas for being an idiot.

Toronto isn’t matching 2+ mil for Robertson, guaranteed.

Despite your hatred of the Penguins organization players don’t get traded to be “liberated”.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Toronto isn’t matching 2+ mil for Robertson, guaranteed.

Despite your hatred of the Penguins organization players don’t get traded to be “liberated”.
You think the year he finally shows he's capable of top 9 play and even top 6 if he keeps it up and some team offers him 2.29m that they aren't going to match? They can match Robertson and demote someone or trade Reaves with a 3rd rounder and free up the cap while also signing Lorentz to a 1yr 2way deal to add depth. You really think they wouldn't match 2.29m for a player that finally produced at a 40pt pace after a lot of injury set backs and showing his potential?

Lol, ok mate.

His agent is Pat Brisson, one of the more savvy agents in this league and the same one that represents Crosby. You think he doesn't know that if his client wants out of Toronto that if some team does the 3rd round compensation offer, that the Leafs wouldn't match? That works entirely in the Leafs favour.

They currently have 2.375m in cap space, 11 forwards on the roster, 6 defensemen and 2 goals. Correct me if I am wrong here - Leafs offered him a Qualifying Offer, which comes with a raise, I somehow mistakenly looked at his career earnings vs his actual cap hit, my bad. But yeah, based on his production, 2.29m is a good contract for him that the Leafs would be stupid to walk away from.

Edit: In any case, this is typical Treliving, forcing a player that doesn't want to be there to stay and making it so there's no way that player will stay in any circumstance now. Waddell at least did Laine's trade with respect, too bad Treliving has always been an absolutely shitty GM.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
You think the year he finally shows he's capable of top 9 play and even top 6 if he keeps it up and some team offers him 2.29m that they aren't going to match? They can match Robertson and demote someone or trade Reaves with a 3rd rounder and free up the cap while also signing Lorentz to a 1yr 2way deal to add depth. You really think they wouldn't match 2.29m for a player that finally produced at a 40pt pace after a lot of injury set backs and showing his potential?

Lol, ok mate.

His agent is Pat Brisson, one of the more savvy agents in this league and the same one that represents Crosby. You think he doesn't know that if his client wants out of Toronto that if some team does the 3rd round compensation offer, that the Leafs wouldn't match? That works entirely in the Leafs favour.

They currently have 2.375m in cap space, 11 forwards on the roster, 6 defensemen and 2 goals. Correct me if I am wrong here - Leafs offered him a Qualifying Offer, which comes with a raise, I somehow mistakenly looked at his career earnings vs his actual cap hit, my bad. But yeah, based on his production, 2.29m is a good contract for him that the Leafs would be stupid to walk away from.

Edit: In any case, this is typical Treliving, forcing a player that doesn't want to be there to stay and making it so there's no way that player will stay in any circumstance now. Waddell at least did Laine's trade with respect, too bad Treliving has always been an absolutely shitty GM.

The Leafs have 1.275 cap with active players and allegedly have given Hakanpaa a 1.5 x 2 deal.

Robertson at 2 mil would be effectively forcing them to like you said run a 11 forwards and 7 defenseman every night while also waiving Reaves.

If you give Robertson 2.2 mil, Leafs will not match. And if they do, who cares if you are the Penguins?

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
You need to stop taking that liberated part literal. It's just the word I chose given Puustinen's situation under this dipshit of a coach. Also I don't hate the Penguins, I despise the ownership and their unwavering loyalty to Mike Sullivan.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
The Leafs have 1.275 cap with active players and allegedly have given Hakanpaa a 1.5 x 2 deal.

Robertson at 2 mil would be effectively forcing them to like you said run a 11 forwards and 7 defenseman every night while also waiving Reaves.

If you give Robertson 2.2 mil, Leafs will not match. And if they do, who cares if you are the Penguins?
The Hakanpaa contract isn't done yet given there's the concern about his knee injury being bone on bone and that he might not be even eligible to play yet because of it.

I think teams were likely asking about Robertson via a trade and Treliving doesn't want a player to force him to do anything. Also if the Penguins did send him an offer-sheet, I think given the situation and usage of players I don't see Robertson seeing that as a better situation than Toronto because he could still end up in the AHL with the Penguins especially on the left side where they added a lot of depth and the right side has quite a few as well.

He could sign one, but it'd have to be a team where when they present him that offer-sheet they do so knowing he has a spot on the roster. Columbus would be a good spot for him for 2.29m offer-sheet he would probably be a regular on that roster given who he has to beat to move up, it's not a lot and it's a young team that will be open to trying things.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm starting to think Petts should get a chance at the RD spot on PP1.
He was 2 pts back of EK's 5v5 pts total for the year. His offense is improving.
He's a left shot, which is what's needed there. He'd simplify things and make high-percentage decisions. Geno would be free to play the right wall, where his giveaways would be less costly, and he'd be in a more dangerous shooting position.
Plus Petts would be valuable at minimizing SHG's against.

I'm open to them trying all sorts of things when PP1 is that horrible 2 years straight.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but there's a VERY high likelihood that Puustinen wouldn't even be sniffing the NHL if he wasn't in the Pens org. Most other organizations have several better players that would get the nod before him. It's our incredibly thin prospect pools that has been VERY advantageous to him. I don't think trading him is "liberating" him, at all.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
He's a left shot, which is what's needed there. He'd simplify things and make high-percentage decisions. Geno would be free to play the right wall, where his giveaways would be less costly, and he'd be in a more dangerous shooting position.

I'm open to them trying all sorts of things when PP1 is that horrible 2 years straight.

Wildest take from you yet AB.

Using your favorite PER/60 calculations. MP28 had less primary assists than POJ last season.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Using your favorite PER/60 calculations. MP28 had less primary assists than POJ last season.

Not just that but as a minor point of contention... Malkin's takeaway/giveaway ratio was the best of his career last season at 90/56 (1.61) and he cut his turnovers nearly in half from the prior season. Plus in re: to him turning over the puck on the top unit... well... he wasn't even on the top unit like 30ish percent of the season.

Dude is dusted but it's like... even when he vastly improves on the things asked of him it's still not good enough.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Do you even watch games or do you just go on NST and judge players based on points/60?

Pettersson has literally zero skills that make him a fit on the powerplay. Literally nothing in his entire game suggests "PP1" player.

Pettersson's offensive production comes mostly from secondary assists that he gets from making outlet passes. He has greatly improved on that side, in that he has become a very good transitional defenseman (for the kind of player he is) and has gotten rewarded with a bit of extra point production. But saying that makes him a PP1 option just shows a lack of understanding of the game, there's no other way to put it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think the issue with the PP isn't even the players at this point.

The Pens core guys have never been what I would call "naturals" on the man advantage. Malkin in his heyday was probably the best suited to it. So of course he was made to play outside his comfort zone for years, natch. But even he was never exactly aces on the PP. He just had some overwhelmingly ++ attributes that made him good there in his prime.

But yes. You aren't wrong at all. Much like many other situations the team isn't putting it's best foot forward when it comes to designing the PP schematically and working some wrinkles in that isn't just "that one set play we try every single time." Accountability (beyond just the same two players over and over) would be nice, too. But that's expecting too much, here.

I'm sure Quinn will fix it, though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad