Value of: Young top 4 d-man to NJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
After trading away larsson the Devils weakness now becomes on defence.
Who would be some young (and not overpriced) defencman potentially available?

The Devils are pretty thin on the left side especially

Haydn fleury
Cam fowler
Robert Haag
Nikita zadarov(?)
Darnell nurse
Griffin Reinhart

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The only ones u could get for cheap on that list would be reinhart and hagg. The rest would require a top prospect or a package with a top prospect coming back.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
"Who would be some young (and not overpriced) defencman potentially available?"

Don't think that exists anymore haha.

Jokkipakka is going to be exposed to the expansion and Nakladal would be a decent FA signing for your bottom pair. Actually think he's better than Schlemko

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Devils should be rebuilding. Offence is weak, defence is worse. I don't think one young top 4 defencemen will solve their problems.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
We have severson, santini and Jacobs as prospects for the future.
Left side as I mentioned above is thin

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Do the Devils, who have been a bottom team the last few year really want to pay the prices it takes to acquire an under 25 Top4 defenceman after dealing one for a 1st line winger? Or the price the Canucks paid as a bottom team of a 33rd overall pick this past draft and a recent first round prospect with 1 NHL season.?

IMHO should try and find another on the cheap defender like last summer with that guy who was a quote forever. Schlemko? He wasn't bad for you guys but didn't cost you anything. Russell is still out there and would probably be better than all those guys you listed at least for this year.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Despres could possibly be had cheap since Ducks need to trim cash and if he recovers back to form from the concussion, could be another steal a la Palms.

Group Chat Legend*

Devils should be rebuilding. Offence is weak, defence is worse. I don't think one young top 4 defencemen will solve their problems.

Yeah they should just blow it up.

Come to think of it they should just be relocated

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Oleksiak still has top 4 potential(that he'll never reach with the logjam on the Stars) and he'd be very cheap. Give him a roster spot and some time and he might be what you need.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
After trading away larsson the Devils weakness now becomes on defence.
Who would be some young (and not overpriced) defencman potentially available?

The Devils are pretty thin on the left side especially

Haydn fleury
Cam fowler
Robert Haag
Nikita zadarov(?)
Darnell nurse
Griffin Reinhart

Hagg for Santini would be an interesting trade, but Hagg is not NHL ready like the other guys on that list.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Unless we can fleece a cap-strapped team a la Nick Leddy, what it would cost to acquire one of these guys would probably not be worth it. We are better off cultivating our own assets at this point.

This is a move we can make next season when we see how Severson handles the top pairing and what we can expect from Santini going forward.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Despres for Boucher + conditional pick

Is this the part where you tell me Santini is some kind of amazing prospect? Cause that would be a real joke.

Well I would say it's pretty clear Santini is the better prospect and being a RHD he has that much more value. Highly doubt anyone would be interested in downgrading for the sake of handedness.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
faulk, hanifin , fleury , Slavin, bean, pesce, mckeown

Carolina needs to trade at least one of them lol

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Going off memory don't the Devils need a RHD a lot more than a LHD? All the guys you listed are left handed.

No, our left side is actually considerably weaker than our right side.

RDs are Severson-Lovejoy-Santini; LDs are Greene-Merrill/Moore-Moore/Merrill. Considering not many Devils fans are super high on either Merrill or Moore, you can understand our qualms.

I think the most realistic option for us is Simon Despres, but I don't want to move Boucher for him.

(At least not until we hold camp and see if someone could fill in for him, if traded.)

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Is this the part where you tell me Santini is some kind of amazing prospect? Cause that would be a real joke.

Santini is a prospect we've been high on from the start. With Larsson gone, he's even more important to us.

The "Is this a joke?" comment was unnecessary, though. We simply can't trade Santini due to organizational depth (or, lack thereof) at RHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad