Post-Game Talk: Young Stars Classic Tournament | Canucks go 3-0 at Young Stars

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Lekkerimaki and Sasson were our best forwards today. Romani was good as the game went along as well. Very impressed with his offensive skills. The rest were bleh.

Don’t think D Petey had a strong game. If anything, Arntsen looked like our best D.

moiderer

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver
Oilers played pretty well for a team made up of Nathan Day, a half-absent Matt Savoie, and Patrik Stefan's son.

For the Canucks, anyone close to playing NHL games (Bains, Lekkerimaki, Sasson, Raty) looked very good.

The D looked very shaky as a young group but guys like D-Petey and Kudryavtsev had plenty of moments. Alcos didn't look noticeably bad but Hirose is too old to not stand out positively.

Tough since it's a prospect game and a new coaching staff but the door might need to be shut on Klimovich. No big moments.

Liked Romani's offensive instinct but the skating probably needs work to find better space. Could see a Conor Garland-esque D+2 to parlay into an AHL stint. Patterson seemed lost when it wasn't north-south, especially in the D zone. Alriksson had moments but not necessarily with his size; this season is probably key.

Tolopilo was good. Didn't face too many snipers tonight compared to Day though.

Didn't see much from Mueller or the 4th line AHL guys to comment.

Reactions: Indiana and arttk

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Lekkerimaki and Sasson were our best forwards today. Romani was good as the game went along as well. Very impressed with his offensive skills. The rest were bleh.

Don’t think D Petey had a strong game. If anything, Arntsen looked like our best D.

I didn't think much of Romani this game, wasn't bad but just didn't do anything. Patterson I was more impressed by, shaky to start then as he got more comfortable made at least a couple high-end plays, showed poise with the puck and won more battles as well. Very impressive given his age. Already better than Klimovich unfortunately who looks like a bust at this point despite the physical skills - hockey sense clearly remains poor.

Feb 20, 2013
Bains - Ratt - Lekk were dominant and should be Abbotsford's top line this year. Also the Alriksson Mueller Romani line was very good.

Alriksson was doing a very good job of using his size/reach while driving wide with the puck and had three or four very similar rushes where he beat his man doing so.

First I have really watched him, but Romani is one of those no standout trait players (good shot I guess) who just reads/anticipated the game really well. That is the sort of trait that will translate to higher levels.

Also thought Alcos was decent for an 18 year old late round pick. Didn't look out of place.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
On the other side:

Savoie was unexpectedly quiet for a prospect that was so highly touted. There was even some discussion of him making the oilers team. Doesn't look like he's even close.

I liked clattenberg's game. Looked like he was trying to mix it up and agitate through the entire game. Good motor. Looked lost in the defensive zone though

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
That was a great first game!

Lekkerimäki: I knew he had a great shot, but I was even more impressed by his quick playmaking and sharp hockey sense. Tonight, he looked every bit the blue-chip, can't-miss prospect. I’d even go as far as to say he resembled Messi in the MLS—the puck never stayed on his stick for long, with his deceptive moves and effortless playmaking. Solid effort on defense, though it’s clearly not the strongest part of his game.

Bains & Räty: While Lekkerimäki led the line, both Bains and Räty showed they’re well above this level of competition.

Kudryavtsev: I can see why he put up so many points last season, but his skating could use improvement.

Tolopilo: It was a relatively easy night for him. He seemed relaxed, though he struggled to fully seal the puck a few times. Fortunately, the ref’s quick whistle helped.

Romani: I expected more from him. He clearly needs more time to develop.

Pettersson 2: It’s hard to imagine we’ll get much offense from him. Looks like my hope of a Willander-Pettersson pairing developing into a Keith-Seabrook type first pairing was just a dream. Hopefully, he can at least work on improving his puck skills and transition play.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Thought Kudryavtsev was easily the best d-man on the ice for either team. Can understand why the Canucks deemed Hunter Brzustewicz expendable. They probably bring a lot of the same things to the table......but Kudryavtsev looks a lot steadier in his own zone.

And he's always looking to push the pace....and his passes are right on the money. Thought he also looked a lot better than Hirose, who's five years older. I can't see how they keep him off the Abbotsford Canucks this season.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The Raty line was dominant. Lekkerimaki was the best forward. Some pretty electric moves and shots. Super smart finding soft ice and in reading defensive outlets. Actually thought Bains was the weak link looked sluggish for 2 periods but still had many chances. Raty looked stronger and has smoothed out his stride a bit which is nice to see. Hands faceoffs outlets playmaking puck protection and off puck movement were all very good to excellent

Sasson can fly and will be a 4th liner at some stage of his career as long as he keeps moving in a positive direction. Klimovich is just horrible. At least 3 or 4 no look giveaways and has tunnel vision. Patterson is already a better player. Was a bit shaky early but really came on in the 2nd and 3rd. Skating hockey IQ skill all are good enough to translate with overall improvements. Maybe not a high ceiling guy but i'm intrigued.

Alriksson is a nice project player. That stride and reach is something. No polish and slow to move pucks but give him time. Could be useful. Mueller i didnt notice a lot but is a good skater and strong for his size. Romani is really overwhelmed physically at this level but is still a good gamble. You can see the smarts and a nice set of hands

Bloom is still a AHL project. He can skate but needs to show much more. Hirose the same thought he was massively disappointing. And i wasn't nearly as high as some last year. Close to being a complete waste of a contract

As others mentioned Alcos for his age looked like he's got a good head for the game and tools. Felton looks useful for Abby. Arnfeldt pretty underwhelming but showed some tools i guess.

Pettersson looked legit. A little rough at times but skating physicality and skills are all very good. Kids gonna be a player. Kudryavtsev is a nice puck mover and i really like his 4 way mobility and headsy play. Best defensive tandem on the ice by far

Looking forward to the Jets game. They have a good group of high end skill and speed that should be a better barometer

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Any finish by the Canucks and its a wipe out. Still the team made enough mistakes to put Tolopilo under pressure.

Good

Tolopilo - looked very calm and didn't look like he was ever going to give much up. This guy needs a good look in the pre-season. Had a respectable year last (maybe better than that) and looked sharp in this game.

Sasson - older so guess you should expect a good game in this company. But he again showed good puck and game management.

Arliksson - showed some good speed and bounced people around. Has underrated physical game and showed some power forward vibes in this game. Some clumsiness to his game but if he can improve balance and such, he could be hard to handle.

Felton - older so little to get excited about here but he was good over the last half of the game. Defense got much better has he started to step up his game.

Kudrydevev (sp) - spotty at times but when he was good, he was controlling the play. Showed enough to have some hope for this player.

Lekkermaki - unfortunate not to score. Talent is obvious and clearly has the most upside. Like the way he created his own chances through finding soft spots and breaking around opponents. Fun to watch.

OKish

Bains - too much one-off hockey. His top end does not look good enough. Gives what he's got and at this level that's good enough to create chances

Pettersson - looked limited offensively and didn't stand out in the play. Going take some time to develop as lots of d-first defensemen do. Right now I don't see him standing up to the pressure he'll face in the NHL. That was not unexpected.

Disappointing

Raty - Lots of aimless back passes and very little finish on his passes. No chance of making the team with play like this. Should be further ahead than this.

Arnsten - not expecting much and was corrrect in that. Can't see him progressing beyond the ECHL.

Bloom - a body. Showed little skill and often took himself out of the play trying to make useless hits. Thought Walker would be the worst player but he was better than Bloom.

Hirose - looked so energized when he joined the team - but that has disappeared. Given room he could make a play but couldn't skate himself out of bad situations.

Others

Romani - can see why he was drafted late. Skating a huge issue - especially his turns. Still he manages, through good anticpation to get himself into scoring situations and could easily have scored in this game. Looks like a good Junior /poor pro type player. Size also a factor and pro d-men will not give him the room to operate thr way he is now.

Mueller - have to question his stick skills. Decent skater but showed no hands.

Patterson - finding his way in this game. Did create chances but two way game is very questionable. Will need to be better in transition.

Alcos - right now just flat out too slow.

Klimovich - some things never change - poor fundamentals can not be overcome even if you do have some talent. Wasn't bad but still can't complete plays.

Would say that no one was as disappointing as Savoie was for the Oilers. Some players just plateau out at some level. You must progress each year and avoid that dreaded plateau. Maybe Buffalo knew more than we give them credit for. Your team or scouts need congratulations when they spot a bust and move him before that becomes evident to all. (might be Wright becomes an example that got moved too late). Of course, we sat around for years hanging onto an obvious bust in Virtanen.

Last edited:

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Lekkerimaki suprised me. I don't take too much out of good performances at this level, but he showed enough talent that we could see what all the hype is about. It will be interesting to see how he does against a higher level.

Kudryavtsev impressed me, though he also got turnstiled late in the first period.

Pettersson looked to need seasoning.

Either Edmonton made it easy or Tolopilo made it look easy. For the most part he was calm and in position.

Hirose was the biggest takeaway from my point of view. While I don't put too much emphasis on really good performances, i do think that bad performances at this level by 25 year olds are very telling.

It seems possible to me that Hirose will be in Kudryavtsev's way. Off his performance tonight it is hard to place Hirose higher than any of Brisebois, Wolanin, Pettersson or Kudryavtsev. Hirose belongs in the ECHL, but the Canucks can't send him there this season without his consent. Not only that, but the guy is on a 1 way deal to get paid $800K this season.

Bloom wasn't impressive. At his age and at this level he didn't give any sign of being a future NHL player. Klimovitch didn't show much reason to be optimistic, either.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Lekk looked good, Sasson can fly and he’s decent enough skill that he could be a decent call up option if injuries hit the big club.

Bains I still wish was a bit quicker or stronger but he’s a gifted playmaker.

Petey-Kud pairing had some good moments.

Don’t really think anyone else stood out. Romani/Patterson have some skill but not sure what to make of them yet.

Kinda insane how Hirose went from looking ok at the NHL level for a stint to an ECHL caliber player. Just goes to show how you can’t overreact to a small sample size in meaningless games.

Reactions: Indiana and Coffees

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Lekkerimaki easily had the most talent of anyone on the ice. Will be interesting to see what he can do with/against NHLers in the big boy camp.

Sasson was a standout as well, just skates really well. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets into some NHL games at some point this year.

The rest of the skaters had some moments, but they either need a lot of work still, or just didn't stand out enough to really be mentioned. Would've liked to see a bit more from Raty and Bains. I figured they'd be more dominant , but they weren't bad.

One thing that really stood out to me, was the coaching. They had this team playing with purpose and cohesion, straight out of the gate. You can tell that they have set high expectations with preparation and work ethic. You'd expect strong play from the top line with 2 good AHLers and Lekk on it, but all the other lines followed suit and controlled the game. Pretty solid work all around, from this management team.

The Oilers' goalie was good, but also got lucky with the help of multiple posts. Should have been a blowout.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Speculation after this game that maybe Lekkerimaki gets an audition with Pettersson and Debrusk in an exhibition game or two. Now that would be a line to watch!

Could Lek crack the Canucks lineup right out of the gate? It's still a stretch. But of note, neither Boeser nor Pettersson ever played a single game in the minors.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Lekk is poggers,
might just earned himself a couple pre-season games.

I'd still prefer to keep him away from the NHL this year but it looks like there is a small chance that he forces his way onto the team.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I didn't watch but a couple people have a few different view points.

Just seen the highlights. Good showing.
Lekk is poggers,
might just earned himself a couple pre-season games.

I'd still prefer to keep him away from the NHL this year but it looks like there is a small chance that he forces his way onto the team.
I'd say he probably spends the early part in the AHL. Will need to get stronger.

Reactions: LordBacon

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Hirose was the biggest takeaway from my point of view. While I don't put too much emphasis on really good performances, i do think that bad performances at this level by 25 year olds are very telling.
I think it speaks to how much lower the level of competition is at the end of the NHL season when teams are either eliminated or resting ahead of the playoffs.

From the accounts last year—Hirose did not show up to camp in pro-shape. Pretty sure he burned his bridge then and that the Canucks are just going through the motions. He won’t be re-signed when his contract is up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad