Post-Game Talk: Young Stars Classic Tournament | Canucks go 3-0 at Young Stars

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I think it would be dumb for them not to try Lekkerimaki with Miller and Pettersson in preseason. He has tools right now that would work with even more skilled teammates.
Pettersson and DeBrusk are both defensibly responsible, so they could easily take in Lekkerimaki, who could possibly give that line more scoring than Heinen. Hoglander on the 2nd line with Miller and Boeser - Heinen on the 4th line along with the Joshua/Garland 3rd line , gives the Canucks an extremely good bottom 6.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Was a fun few days to watch some of our prospects. Have to say we look to be doing a good job finding talent given the empty cupboards upon arrival of JR PA and lack of high picks.

Best game today. Much cleaner passing and good pace

As we move to main camp Raty Pettersson Bains Lekkerimaki and Sasson should be fun to track. Think it's all been said about those guys. Look forward to evaluating vs better competition and with more talented teammates.

Of the U20 crowd. Was impressed with Patterson Alriksson Mynio 1-2-3. All need some significant steps but have many attributes that could see them succeed as pros

Pattersson looks like a legit NHL prospect. Strong skater vision skill smarts has pro size. Loved his momentum leading up to the draft feel like we got some excellent value at minimum as teams overlooked his late charge.

Alriksson is such an intriguing speed and size package. Looked really assertive this time around and had impact. If he can get near PPG this year and show some growth in making plays we could really have something. Gonna have to show the ability to play in structure and not just run around.

Mynio is a great skater and smart. Makes a good first pass anticipates well plays with his head up. Huge step last year in development. Gotta get stronger but has all the attributes to be a good pro.

HM = Romani is highly skilled and smart. At 19 he needs to make headway in his skating in a shorter window but of all the last 2 drafts players in Penticton he's the most talented.

Kudryavtsev is a curious one. Liked his tourney not sure if he would be better off in Abbotsford or back in junior. Would rather he play on a OHL contender than toiling in Kalamazoo.

The rest are AHL depth guys or have a long way to go to make an impression

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see J-Pat over at Canucks Army is suggesting an 'age limit' for this Young-stars tournament. And I have to say that I agree with him. There's really no way guys like Sasson, Bains, Glover, Walker, Hirose and Tolopilo should have been playing in this tournament.

I guess the Canucks were short on drafted players,, and a lot of their college guys weren't eligible for this tournament. . But I'd rather see them give a look to a few more undrafted free agents than go with guys, some of whom will be starting their third AHL seasons this September

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I guess the Canucks were short on drafted players,, and a lot of their college guys weren't eligible for this tournament. . But I'd rather see them give a look to a few more undrafted free agents than go with guys, some of whom will be starting their third AHL seasons this September
this thing is a player development vehicle, the purpose is not to 'win.' lets not miss the point of these things. teams play 3 games over a weekend, it's not meant to be a competitive event.

JPat has completely missed the plot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
this thing is a player development vehicle, the purpose is not to 'win.' lets not miss the point of these things. teams play 3 games over a weekend, it's not meant to be a competitive event.

JPat has completely missed the plot.
I guess most hockey players love to play in any tournament competition......but I have to seriously wonder whether guys like Bains, Sasson, Hirose and even Tolopilo were all that delighted to be suiting up in Penticton....and would rather have just gotten ready for main camp.

Canucks were the oldest teams in this tournament by a considerable margin. I get that the results don't matter much--and that teams are trying to get an handle on some of the guys they've drafted in the last couple of years.

So I suppose for the Canucks it really isn't about the scoreboard. The only real 'yardstick' for measuring 'success' in this tournament is how your 19-21 year-old kids stack up against similar aged players from the Flames, Oilers and Jets.

And in that regard, the Canucks have to be pleased. Despite far fewer first and second round draft picks in recent years compared to the other NHL squads in Western Canada, they really have unearthed some gems in later rounds. Particularly impressed with Patterson, D-Petey, Kudryavtsev, Mynio, Romani and Arliksson. None of these guys were very high draft picks; but more than held their own against players who were drafted much higher than they were.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It's not really a tournament. There's no winner. It's part of camp for non-NHL players.

I guess most hockey players love to play in any tournament competition......but I have to seriously wonder whether guys like Bains, Sasson, Hirose and even Tolopilo were all that delighted to be suiting up in Penticton....and would rather have just gotten ready for main camp.

Canucks were the oldest teams in this tournament by a considerable margin. I get that the results don't matter much--and that teams are trying to get an handle on some of the guys they've drafted in the last couple of years.

So I suppose for the Canucks it really isn't about the scoreboard. The only real 'yardstick' for measuring 'success' in this tournament is how your 19-21 year-old kids stack up against similar aged players from the Flames, Oilers and Jets.

And in that regard, the Canucks have to be pleased. Despite far fewer first and second round draft picks in recent years compared to the other NHL squads in Western Canada, they really have unearthed some gems in later rounds. Particularly impressed with Patterson, D-Petey, Kudryavtsev, Mynio, Romani and Arliksson. None of these guys were very high draft picks; but more than held their own against players who were drafted much higher than they were.
the older players are there to provide “structure” and “guidance”. If we have a bunch of invites then kids might end up focusing on trying to show themselves and that’s really not the point. I think they just want the kids to learn to play the “right way”.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Context. Jeff was asked about an age limit for the tournament in a mail bag and this was his reply:

Screenshot_20240917_050006_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240917_050020_Chrome.jpg

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Managed to catch most of this tournament in/around camping. Every year I'm more and more of the opinion that this tournament is kind of a waste of time and a vehicle for bad takes, other than getting some general impressions of guys you aren't familiar with, and that's doubly the case this year with so many guys there who were really too old for this and shouldn't have been there.

Not even going to discuss any of the Abbotsford guys who I've seen play 50-100 times. When you've seen guys play a ton in actual games against real competition making any real adjustments to your opinion based on what's essentially a September scrimmage against teenagers is a folly. Only comment I'll really make is how often Klimovich *still* makes blind guess-passes and egregious puck management errors after 3 years of AHL coaching. Guy is dumb as rocks.

Of the 2024 draftees :

- people are complimenting Riley Patterson's skating but I thought his stop/starts, turns, and general agility were really lumbering and poor. Didn't give me a very positive first impression overall.

- Romani can't skate but the high-end pucks skills are obvious. Was certainly one of the most dangerous U20 players in the tournament for any team. But yeah, the skating needs massive work.

- Alcos showed well relative to his draft position and very young age. Kept it simple, looked fairly mobile and competent.

- Sansonnens looked like a total coke machine.

Generally speaking not really a good group of skaters that we picked in this draft, especially given that Fernstrom's biggest weakness is his skating as well.

- EP2 is big, mean, skates pretty well, and has serviceable puck skills and other than Lekkerimaki was obviously the best prospect there other than the AHL vets. Will need 100 AHL games but you can see where a Kaedan Korczak-type development curve is very reasonable.

- Lekkerimaki skated better than in Abbotsford and his puck skills and shot were obviously at another level relative to this tournament. But he still looks so small and weak. Very curious to see how he goes in actual NHL preseason games.

- Mynio's footwork is ++ but like Lekkerimaki he looked small/weak even playing against kids. But his skating did stand out positively.

- I've never been wowed by Kudryatsev. I don't see it. Sloppy set of games from a guy whose calling card is supposed to be reliability. Struggled defending speed on the rush.

- Alriksson was noticeable and got some points but to me he just kinda looks like Nathan Rempe without the fighting. Very awkward-looking player.

- Mueller was quite vanilla and disappointing for a player of his age/pedigree. Should have been the sort to stand out.

- Felton was solid and flashed a bit more skill than you'd expect from his point totals, but also was obviously old for the tournament. Also looked a bit shorter/smaller than listed.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Managed to catch most of this tournament in/around camping. Every year I'm more and more of the opinion that this tournament is kind of a waste of time and a vehicle for bad takes, other than getting some general impressions of guys you aren't familiar with, and that's doubly the case this year with so many guys there who were really too old for this and shouldn't have been there.

Not even going to discuss any of the Abbotsford guys who I've seen play 50-100 times. When you've seen guys play a ton in actual games against real competition making any real adjustments to your opinion based on what's essentially a September scrimmage against teenagers is a folly. Only comment I'll really make is how often Klimovich *still* makes blind guess-passes and egregious puck management errors after 3 years of AHL coaching. Guy is dumb as rocks.

Of the 2024 draftees :

- people are complimenting Riley Patterson's skating but I thought his stop/starts, turns, and general agility were really lumbering and poor. Didn't give me a very positive first impression overall.

- Romani can't skate but the high-end pucks skills are obvious. Was certainly one of the most dangerous U20 players in the tournament for any team. But yeah, the skating needs massive work.

- Alcos showed well relative to his draft position and very young age. Kept it simple, looked fairly mobile and competent.

- Sansonnens looked like a total coke machine.

Generally speaking not really a good group of skaters that we picked in this draft, especially given that Fernstrom's biggest weakness is his skating as well.

- EP2 is big, mean, skates pretty well, and has serviceable puck skills and other than Lekkerimaki was obviously the best prospect there other than the AHL vets. Will need 100 AHL games but you can see where a Kaedan Korczak-type development curve is very reasonable.

- Lekkerimaki skated better than in Abbotsford and his puck skills and shot were obviously at another level relative to this tournament. But he still looks so small and weak. Very curious to see how he goes in actual NHL preseason games.

- Mynio's footwork is ++ but like Lekkerimaki he looked small/weak even playing against kids. But his skating did stand out positively.

- I've never been wowed by Kudryatsev. I don't see it. Sloppy set of games from a guy whose calling card is supposed to be reliability. Struggled defending speed on the rush.

- Alriksson was noticeable and got some points but to me he just kinda looks like Nathan Rempe without the fighting. Very awkward-looking player.

- Mueller was quite vanilla and disappointing for a player of his age/pedigree. Should have been the sort to stand out.

- Felton was solid and flashed a bit more skill than you'd expect from his point totals, but also was obviously old for the tournament. Also looked a bit shorter/smaller than listed.
To be fair about kudrayatsev, he was asked to play on the right side instead of on his natural left side so it did look like to me that he was trying to adjust to that change

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
To be fair about kudrayatsev, he was asked to play on the right side instead of on his natural left side so it did look like to me that he was trying to adjust to that change

Yeah, fair point.

I've just watched him probably ... 15 times over the last 3 years now and I've never really seen it, and then he comes up super high on the OHL coach polls etc.

And the player he's supposed to be - high IQ two-way defender - is the player I actually normally like.

Reactions: Lindgren and cc

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I wouldn't expect much out of the ahl guys who play a pro game in these. Too much random, unstructured junior play that it throws them off.
You can see if with a lot of top prospects when they have outgrown the game in juniors where they look for the pro play or make a play/pass that's above the level they are playing with.

Yeah, there are simply way too many unpolished players to get an accurate read which is why I don’t really watch these. McDavid didn’t even light up his tourney at all. It’s a revenue stream more than anything.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know everybody focuses on Lekkerimaki as the Canucks top prospect. And that's understandable given his breakout campaign a year ago.

But the most encouraging guys for me in this tournament were Raty and Arliksson. They look like totally different players this year. And both bring both bring elements to the table the Canucks have in serious short supply--a true, two way center and a big, physical winger with some 'Milan Lucic' qualities.

And I don't get the beat-down on Riley Pattersson. I thought his skating was just fine. But what got my attention was his shot and physicality. Any time you can pluck a bid-bodied center with a scoring touch in the fourth round of any draft, it's found money.

Who knows what their NHL potential is as this point? They're too young to say. But you'd have to be a pretty hardened cynic not to be at least a little encouraged.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Something that's encouraging is that he said his cup of coffee in the AHL and time at this tournament really hammered home how much muscle he needs to put on. So the kid is at least aware of it.

Reactions: MS and God

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad