Speculation: Young players in need of a change.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IGGY2JOHNNY

Apr 22, 2018
I’d say Valimaki from Calgary only because of Kylingtons emergence. If we can resign him, we have him + Hanifin on LD. Could see Vali benefitting from a fresh start and Calgary needs some scoring

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Having witnessed both Brannstrom and Merkley with their respective big clubs lately... they don't look like they need a change. They look like they are arriving.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Erik Brannstrom
Pierre Olivier Joseph
Adam Mascherin
Filip Zadina
Ryan Poehling
Morgan Frost
Lucas Johansen
Jesper Boqvist
Barrett Hayton
Ryan Merkley
Poehling is finally establishing himself as a 3C. doesn't need a change as of now

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Ryan Merkley. Definitely doesn't need a change of scenery. We drafted him in the first round when some teams had him on DND lists. He's been great in the AHL and finally getting some games with the big team.

What's the deal with Merkley?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Agreed, what do you think that would take? I'm not overly familiar with Anaheim's current needs.

He was absolutely dynamite in jr.

I'd imagine a player in a similar situation... young guy in need of a change. Or maybe a pick at the draft if there's someone the Ducks really like. Tough to say what position, though. The Ducks have a pretty deep youth/prospect pool at every position except RHD maybe. I'd say absolutely no LHD, the Ducks might be struggling to find time for everyone in a few years if Lindholm re-signs. I feel like Steel is maybe unfairly judged because of how he was in juniors. He was putting up ridiculous points and everyone thought of him as a top 6 C, he's still an NHL caliber player... he's shown flashes of being a mid-6 winger and is reliable enough for a bottom 6 C, it's not like he's an AHL level player. He just disappointed relative to what was expected post draft.

Reactions: covfefe

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Sebastian Aho. He’s fallen in the depth charts due to an emergence of Robin Salo. This is similar to what happened with Thomas Hickey when Devon Toews started playing. He could be a solid bottom pairing guy/2nd PP unit player but he just doesn’t have a spot on the Islanders blue line at the moment.

Reactions: Seiza

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
this is really 2 topics to me - guys older than 23 (DeBrusk, Steel 24 next week) really fall more into this 'need a change' category

guys 22 and younger, Zadina, Merkley, Frost, etc are still very early career
(not that they cant be traded, but IMHO wouldn't be a typical 'change of scenery' scenario)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Agreed, what do you think that would take? I'm not overly familiar with Anaheim's current needs.

I’d trade Zadina for him. Both guys struggling and both should be showing more than they are

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I feel Zadina is creeping into that territory. Any young LHD available for trade?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Really? He would love Arizona.

Maybe, but I'm not sure why Arizona would want him, especially if they're talking about trading guys like Crouse and/or Chychrun.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

It's sort of difficult to pinpoint exactly what the Ducks biggest needs are, so much will depend on how they decide to handle their impending UFAs and attack the rest of this season.

Just based on the depth chart, the type of prospects the Ducks have coming up through the system, they've drafted so much more for skill and have a bit of a lack of size/grit. They spoke about this being part of the reason they felt McTavish would be such a great compliment, but it's definitely something that could use more of.

A big physical young D or RW would be just the ticket.

Reactions: covfefe

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Maybe, but I'm not sure why Arizona would want him, especially if they're talking about trading guys like Crouse and/or Chychrun.
I am not, not for Greenway. Fischer? Sure. Schmaltz? Sure. Kessel? Sure.

I actually thought he was doing well in Minnesota anyway.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I am not, not for Greenway. Fischer? Sure. Schmaltz? Sure. Kessel? Sure.

I actually thought he was doing well in Minnesota anyway.

What I meant was, Arizona seems to be going a specific direction with all the talk about trading Chychrun or Crouse, and acquiring Greenway seems antithetical to that direction. He's a pending RFA with two years until he's AHL eligible. I have no doubt that he would sign a long term deal with the right team, eating up some UFA years, but it would seem weird for Arizona to be that team.

As far as reasons he should be out of Minnesota, his contract is probably the top of the list. We can't really afford to give him a raise at this point. And frankly, I'm not sure we want to. He's a solid third liner, but his effort level seems pretty inconsistent. Two years ago when he re-signed, it was noted that Guerin had a conversation with him about being a better professional, and while he might have improved, it's just not to the level to justify keeping him among our other issues.

He's also become a pretty superfluous piece for us. We have some other guys like Duhaime and Dewar who are pounding on the door for bottom six roles, and guys like Gaudreau who are signed for the next year at a much cheaper AAV than Greenway probably wants. It's pretty clear he's not a top six player, and Boldy's emergence has further solidified that. We're just running out of space and he's not really someone worth taking up more of that space for. Fine player, just doesn't fit anymore. That's why he's on the outs.

As far as what we'd actually want for him in a trade, I'd assume it's picks/prospects, but I can see a scenario where he's traded for a less expensive bottom six player who better fits the identity of the team without taking up as much space.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I just don't think he has the speed to play the Avs style, and isn't physical enough to over come that.

This,

The ideal Jost trade is finding a better skating Jost, but who may have less offensive upside but similar defensive acumen.

Otherwise the Avs can just sit on him until he's a UFA and have a reliable bottom 6 player who won't break the bank but is a known quantity that isn't expensive.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pierre Olivier Joseph

No interest in moving him as a Pens fan. Yeah, he's stuck in a log jam right now, but I think that'll change next season. If he's moved before that, it's part of reinforcing for the post-season.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Even though very early, its pretty obvious Nils Lundkvist will need a new address to advance.
disagree prefer to keep w/his shot and move Jones, who can also play both sides, if nec to move someone

Vitali Kravtsov
He needs legit shot w/1st line top mins. Go that and recover his value. Drury is to blame for this mess. Do not want him undersold.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I’d say Valimaki from Calgary only because of Kylingtons emergence. If we can resign him, we have him + Hanifin on LD. Could see Vali benefitting from a fresh start and Calgary needs some scoring

Kings do need some LHD in the system...

Gabe Vilardi appears to be entering this territory.

Any Kings prospect drafted before 2020 is entering this territory due to managerial incompetence.

I'm surprised they haven't tried him at LD and benched him for it not working.

Reactions: Eegs

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
As a Ranger fan i'm ready to move on from Fillip Chytil. Kid has some dynamic talent and you see some flashes but he's plateued and is going nowhere on the team right now.

Whether it's a swap for a similar struggling prospect or part of a package for an established player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad