You Get Only One (Cup/Medal/Hart/HHoF)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which would you prefer?

• Hart/Norris/Vezina Trophy

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Stanley Cup Ring

Votes: 152 62.3%
  • Olympic Gold Medal

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • Hall of Fame Inductee

Votes: 69 28.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
As the title implies, you're an NHL player and have a choice of receiving one of these accolades, at the exclusion of all the others during your no doubt outstanding professional career.

For example, you're a forward and get in the HHOF but you never win the Cup, a gold medal or a Hart trophy.

For those of you from non-Olympic-level countries (say, Brazil? Australia?), well, take that into account however you wish. Maybe in your fantasy you get drafted by an American team and get to play for America?

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Hart/Norris/Vezina

Unless you’re one of the top players on a cup winning team people won’t remember you. And your legacy would be somewhat meaningless unless you were a meaningful contributor

Olympic gold is somewhat of a sham, it’s not a true best on best tournament

HHOF you’d be known as a non deserving entree without he accolades to back up the induction

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Green

Nov 13, 2019
For North Americans it will probably be unanimous Stanley Cup, for non-north Americans I get the feeling Olympic Gold, there are probably very few selfish hockey players who will choose individual accomplishment over team accomplishments

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I went with Stanley Cup....close 2nd would be HOF....pretty close, really hard to decide actually, but at the end of the day, the ultimate goal is the Cup. Toss up for the other two after that.

Reactions: ole ole

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The question states you had an "outstanding professional career" So I assume you are a high impact player, but not good enough to win individual awards, in that case I would say Stanley Cup. If I am Nick Kypreos who played 46 regular season games and 3 playoff games in 1994 and gets credited as a Cup winning player, I would rather be a Hall of Fame level player with no Cups. I will assume you will be a key player in the Cup win, so I pick Stanley Cup.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
The question states you had an "outstanding professional career" So I assume you are a high impact player, but not good enough to win individual awards, in that case I would say Stanley Cup. If I am Nick Kypreos who played 46 regular season games and 3 playoff games in 1994 and gets credited as a Cup winning player, I would rather be a Hall of Fame level player with no Cups. I will assume you will be a key player in the Cup win, so I pick Stanley Cup.
Right....if situations were different and say, you could choose a HOF career or a career where you only played two years but won the Cup....that's a different question and I'd easily go with HOF career.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
As much as I'd enjoy leading an independent Scotland to Olympic glory I think that's slightly less likely than me winning a cup so I'll take the ring please.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Olympic gold alone would make a career, the rest is only a nice bonus. Even in the NHL living in a nice city and having long summer holidays with the family would offset not winning the cup.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hart/Norris/Vezina

Unless you’re one of the top players on a cup winning team people won’t remember you. And your legacy would be somewhat meaningless unless you were a meaningful contributor

Olympic gold is somewhat of a sham, it’s not a true best on best tournament

HHOF you’d be known as a non deserving entree without he accolades to back up the induction

Your name is still on there for a very long time. You're immortalized almost forever.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I would rather be Patrick Sharp, Cup winning non-HoFer, than Patrick Marleau, non-Cup winning HoFer. Assuming I have a nice career regardless of choice, winning a championship in pro sports has to be one of the coolest things to experience.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Your name is still on there for a very long time. You're immortalized almost forever.
You are, but winning a Hart/Vezina/Norris means you’re immortalized and likely remembered. That would be my preference if I wasn’t a superstar in the league

Reactions: rogking65

rogking65

May 13, 2016
This requires less than 2 seconds of consideration. Cup will win in a landslide.
fans may think this but I am pretty sure players would chose the major award. Equals more money and family set for life. As far as legacy goes many hundreds of forgetable player have won a cup. A major award is more of an accomplishment. And if a cup is so important why don't free agent players sign with the best teams at a discount to better their chance at a cup. This does not happen,,,they sign with whoever offers the most money. If people think otherwise they are delusional

Reactions: I am not exposed

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
This requires less than 2 seconds of consideration. Cup will win in a landslide.
would you take a cup ring and like 2 million dollars in career earnings over 100M+, HOF career and no cup?

Obviously we don't know what else you get, but only the cup ring is guaranteed so you might be in the NHL for a cup of coffee and right place/right time scenario and never play in the league much again.

I would probably take the HOF career with nothing else known. If I have a decently long career as a regular with a cup and some good earnings I would take that

Reactions: I am not exposed

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Knowing nothing else - it's 100% unquestionably the hart or hall of fame.

It's all about career earnings and salary. A hall of fame career guarantees you top earnings (a hart arguably even more).

For the past 20 years - what is the lowest career earnings total for a hart winner, or a hall of fame inductee? I'd guess it's $50M USD or more.

Now - do the same for a gold medal winner or stanley cup champion. I bet there's some random 4th liners who earned a tenth of that max.

The difference is tens of millions of dollars.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
would you take a cup ring and like 2 million dollars in career earnings over 100M+, HOF career and no cup?

Obviously we don't know what else you get, but only the cup ring is guaranteed so you might be in the NHL for a cup of coffee and right place/right time scenario and never play in the league much again.

I would probably take the HOF career with nothing else known. If I have a decently long career as a regular with a cup and some good earnings I would take that

Yes I would, my life with $2M would be exactly the same as $100M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad