Post-Game Talk: You get a blown lead! You get a blown lead! Everyone gets a blown lead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
You're all most of you nuts.

Leafs have outplayed their opponent in 4/5 games. If they keep playing like this they'll make the playoffs. Crappy luck and bad bounces even out.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

Leafs have outplayed their opponent in 4/5 games. If they keep playing like this they'll make the playoffs. Crappy luck and bad bounces even out.

I agree, the Leafs have been the better team in 4/5 games, but I'm not so sure about bad luck and bounces evening out, I've seen too many games and I can't recall too many where the opposition outplayed the Leafs, but the Leafs won.

Macman

May 15, 2004
The overreaction here is ridiculous. Apparently the rebuild was supposed to be over after one year. This team is better and more fun to watch than it's been in a long while but there are still major holes that a couple of years of good drafting and development can't fill overnight. Honestly, we have some of the dumbest fans anywhere.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
The overreaction here is ridiculous. Apparently the rebuild was supposed to be over after one year. This team is better and more fun to watch than it's been in a long while but there are still major holes that a couple of years of good drafting and development can't fill overnight. Honestly, we have some of the dumbest fans anywhere.
It is becoming pretty intolerable here.

Mikejfs

Feb 14, 2016
Stoney Creek Ontario
I disagree with some people who say its not Andersens fault. I think it is. I turned the game on a little late. Chicago had 2 shots on net and were leading 1-0. It's Bernier all over again. Only Leafs are stuck with this guy for 5 years. Andersen has to start playing better or the Toronto media and fans are going to eat him alive.

Last edited:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
It is becoming pretty intolerable here.

there have been irrational fans forever, this is nothing, wait until they really go into a losing streak, (real losses, not overtime) so 0 points, then the irrational fans vent and look like Trump arguing with crooked Hillary.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
Its very easy to understand why Babcock hold Matthews and Nylander down on 3 to 3, because they lost against Ottawa and Winnipeg , a new loss againt Chicago and they start thinking they cant score 3 on 3.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I don't know why you guys are freaking out about blown leads. You have a really young team comprised of a lot of new pieces. Teams like this have to learn how to win. The hallmark of any young team like this is learning how to close out games and how to win basically. The fact this team is competing and all your young guys look good and are producing should have all of you thrilled. This pretty much how this should be going and you all should be thrilled.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
This was posted in the Andersen thread and needs to be reposted for posterity:

83721784.jpg

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Depends if its bad bounces or bad goaltending. Bad goaltending is sustainable, and can straight up kill a good teams playoff chances,

Our record looks bad, but I agree that our actual play with he exception of goaltending has been quite good and better than I anticipated. Legitimately playoff good if we just had something around a ~0.910-0.915 save %.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Andersen is pure garbage.

If we're not low key tanking Babs needs to start rolling out Enroth and keep Freddy on the IR until he's "100%".

Polak and Hunwick are also brutal to watch. Matthews and Nylander are beautiful.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Depends if its bad bounces or bad goaltending. Bad goaltending is sustainable, and can straight up kill a good teams playoff chances,

Our record looks bad, but I agree that our actual play with he exception of goaltending has been quite good and better than I anticipated. Legitimately playoff good if we just had something around a ~0.910-0.915 save %.

Quite good? Their soft defense has only been masked by their successful offense. If you think the only thing wrong is the goalie, you will be in for a big surprise when the offense slumps.

If they don't get tougher on their opponents in front of the net, clear the zone MUCH better, and just do a much better job generally in their own end - you're crazy to even mention the word playoffs.

Kadri loses his man on the first goal while no one is even seeing the man breaking in.

On the 2nd goal, Motte could've laid down a nice blanket and had a picnic with all the room he was enjoying in front of the net.

Rielly let's his man skate right past him and knock in the rebound on the third goal.

Polak and Hunwick are somehow on the outside and both their guys are standing in front of Andersen on the tieing goal.

Absolute horrid coverage and positioning in their own end.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Lots of Leaf fans have a loser mentality. Even if we blew another 4-0 lead, people here would be celebrating the fact that we had a 4 goal lead to blow.

:laugh: Seriously, dude?

What are you expecting out of this team?? If we're not cup contenders, then who cares....

We are tanking because Babcock doesn't know how to coach this team. Give him Winnik and Parenteau, we don't need these kids playing. Fire him next season and hire someone who knows how to win with talent.

F***ing guy puts Holland on Penalty shoot, puts Polak and Hunwik on 4v3. This guy is straight up pathetically making this team awful followed by Andersen.

:facepalm:

Lets hire M16 for coach! :sarcasm:

I honestly don't know what half of you guys are expecting when other teams have Doughty/Petrolango/Keith/Weber/Subban/Hedman etc on the ice in the last min of the game.. and we have Roman Polak and Matt hunwick.. 2 bottem 6 d-man..

Andersen played solid that game.. You guys pick apart everygoal that gets scored on him but he played well again for us.. I suppose he was supposed to stop the first goal aswell..

Quoted because some people need to read this and learn what common sense is on these boards...

Babcock needs to take some heat for this one. Holland 1st shooter was utterly insane. Leo Polak Hunwick got us through OT but mostly because the Hawks wouldn't shoot. Nylander had to be 1st shooter no question

Holland statistically is one of our best SO shooters.... Babcock only has so much to work with... Our D pairings are consisted of: #2, #3, #4, #6, #6, #7...

Its the 4th game of the season, the whole reason you have vets on a team is for experience in these types of situations, and they failed him. Its incredible how a guy can make a team play way above their heads and then be the one to blame like any of us have NHL coaching/playing experience to have valid acredidation of our armchair coachinf. We are not a playoff team, we're in year number 2 of a rebuild, what does anybody expect? The playoffs? Some of you need to give your head a shake.

Quoted for truth. Its quite obvious we are lacking defensive talent... Only so much we can do with this lineup.

On Tuesday, I want the following:

Polak out.
Hunwick out.

Holland out
(because I think this Griffth kid needs to play).

Brown moved up.

and go from there.

Agreed, although I think Griffith plays primarily wing.

It's crazy how Babs gets so much love here, he is soooooooooo overated. If it was Carlyle or Ron Wilson playing these lines and giving some scrub top mins everyone would have gone crazy. Nah, its Babs tho best winning coach in the world with god mode team Canada and fully stack Detriot team.

Babs has been fine. His team has given us a lead into the third period every game this season...

Reading this thread you might think the blown Leafs are exactly what Leafs nation deserves. Ridiculous.

:laugh: So true.

First of all, none of those goals were Freddy's fault.

Correct

Agreed. Although dumbest fans are harsh... I'd say... most short-sited.

I disagree with some people who say its not Andersons fault. I think it is. I turned the game on a little late. Chicago had 2 shots on net and were leading 1-0. It's Bernier all over again. Only Leafs are stuck with this guy for 5 years. Anderson has to start playing better or the Toronto media and fans are going to eat him alive.

:laugh: Please explain to me how he could have stopped that first goal.

I don't know why you guys are freaking out about blown leads. You have a really young team comprised of a lot of new pieces. Teams like this have to learn how to win. The hallmark of any young team like this is learning how to close out games and how to win basically. The fact this team is competing and all your young guys look good and are producing should have all of you thrilled. This pretty much how this should be going and you all should be thrilled.

Thank you. Some of us are excited about what the future has in store. Not all of us are freaking out.

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
The mentality around here is hilarious.

Oh noes, we're not dominating right out of the gates, and our kids are making mistakes and our goalie that had no preseason to warmup (and is recovering from injuries) let in some soft goals while the inexperienced defence let him down. Well I may as well burn my jersey and give up.

What are some of you, Senators fans?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Theyre learning how to play NHL hockey games. Next they learn how to win NHL hockey games.

It will come.

A defenseman might help though. Get on it Lou

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
The mentality around here is hilarious.

Oh noes, we're not dominating right out of the gates, and our kids are making mistakes and our goalie that had no preseason to warmup (and is recovering from injuries) let in some soft goals while the inexperienced defence let him down. Well I may as well burn my jersey and give up.

What are some of you, Senators fans?

Are you watching the games?

We are dominating. Our kids are NOT the ones making mistakes.

The old washed up vets and 5 goal Freddy are throwing points down the drain

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Are you watching the games?

We are dominating. Our kids are NOT the ones making mistakes.

The old washed up vets and 5 goal Freddy are throwing points down the drain

Exactly. If it were the rookies making mistakes it would be a lot less frustrating.

I think Babcock needs to realize he doesn't have any vets and start leaning on the kids a bit more to protect the leads.

Matthews line came out with a minute to go in the third and the game all tied up and almost scored a goal. If we can trust them after blowing the game up again, why not give them a chance to win it for us?

Sooner or later, Matthews will have to be the guy out there anyways. I'd rather lose with our best players on the ice.

Theyre learning how to play NHL hockey games. Next they learn how to win NHL hockey games.

It will come.

A defenseman might help though. Get on it Lou

Who is they in this sentence? The players who made mistakes weren't the rookies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
While I think there should be a "why.... are you making the goalies be more aggressive than they need to be" Questioning of Babcock. There is one common thing i am reading here which reminds me of Babcock's first summer. it goes something like this:

"Why isn't he getting the most out of the vets, I thought if he was so good he'd have then playing better than how they are right now." (or some version or other of this).

And I remember saying

"Babcock isn't Jesus. He can't turn water into wine, and he can't make chicken salad from chicken droppings, but he can at least make it look like it for a while"

which is basically what he did. last year with ZERO talent he made a lot of people on the team look somewhat palatable. the problem is - we've added talent now. So we see engaged, ready to go players, and they are seriously compounding the issue that the vets we've got, while ranging from okay to serviceable to why are you here - are exactly that. Okay. Serviceable. and Why, oh WHY are you still here.

I do believe the tide will turn a bit and we'll get some wins, and life will be wonderful, but this is actually really, really good, because even when the kiddos make mistakes (which there are some, they are not all lily white innocent here), all the vitriol is aimed right where Babcock wants them. he's making a safe place for those 100 percent vital to our future here. (now maybe that's not fair on the vets but whatever. and maybe that's unfair but whatever too).

Patrick O'Sullivan said this during the first week of the season on Leafs lunch, and i agree. a lot of those veterans gotta go now. they know they aren't part of anything here and quite frankly, they gave as much as they could, and Babcock again isn't Jesus. He can't make them more talented, and I think as is the case most ofthe time THEY think they're doing their best and it's not good enough anymore.

Which could explain some decisions for not having the kids out on 3 on 3s (this early) or in shootouts (this early) and riding the stats that benefits the vets ("benefits" applied loosely here). I don't think that excuses changing how the goalies play though, and that is making me raise an eyebrow.

but regardless of people wanting to deploy the "Leafs fans have loser mentalties" thing - which "seriously?" I'd argue it's just applying context. i think people can be upset about how we're losing without having to dissolve in a whole mess of "Babcock sucks/shouldn't have been hired/insert other inane thing here" or being THAT angry that a team who is still isn't expected to do much - is playing ABOVE expectations, despite the losing. I figure, when the Leafs start showing they aren't improving in areas that they should be with the cast of characters who SHOULD be doing it - then i'll be angry and upset. until then sit back and enjoy the good aspects of the team.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I cannot begin to imagine how shrill it will be around here when they actually have a slump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad