Post-Game Talk: You get a blown lead! You get a blown lead! Everyone gets a blown lead!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
:laugh: sure man.

IMO you see a guy like Nylander, who scored two goals in the game, with his skill he has and you sit him for holland who hasn't done anything based on #'s from previous years? You gotta go with who's hot in game especially when he's one of our more skilled players and holland is a plug. Just my opinion.

Not as mad at that as I am seeing JVR on the ice when we are defending a 1 goal game with a minute left.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Hunwick = Abdelkader, Cleary for Babcock. Play them no matter what.

Abdelkader hasn't missed a game for the Red Wings since Babcock left. So clearly it's not just Babcock who thinks he's an NHL calibre forward

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
He does make good points. It seems after 2 years now he still doesn't know that JVR and Bozak are a liability defensively. One minute left in the game up by one and you put Bozak with JVR on the ice....... Our weakest defensive Center and Winger......... then in overtime you put JVR back out there instead of the kids????? JVR who losses coverage on 5 on 5 your gonna trust 3 on 3?????? Then letting Holland take the first shot in the shootout????? our fourth line plug????? We tried to give him away and we couldn't. Instead of Nylander who scored two goals? Chicago put there best offensive weapons on the shootout and we counter with holland....

Just sit and think about it. Leafs lead 4-2 with 2 minutes left and end up losing 5-4. :shakehead

Babcock blames vets but I put some blame on Babcock for trusting them so often after getting burned by them time and time again.

When Nylander and Mathews only get one shift in OT 3 on 3 when they had been dangerous all night.... I'm in lost of words.

At the end of the day. if the fans sitting at home know putting bozak and jvr on the ice in the last minute wen trying to defend a one goal lead is a bad idea amongst everything else, why can't our coach see it?

I totally agree. I'm starting to think Babcock is overrated.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Marner is great, ballzak and jvr can't keep up with him. Look how many times marner would pass perfectly to either of them and they would completely blow it. JVR is decent but bozak is just bad. They should put marner with kadri.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Zaitsev and Rielly are the most reliable options. But I blame that awful guy for putting Hunwick and Polak on ice 3v4

Hunwick and Polak on the PK is not that bad. If there's one thing they can do, it's slap the puck down the ice. Just have them pretend the Chicago point men are their teammates and they'll ice it every time.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
why the **** did komarov play on 3v3. He's been terrible since the beginning of the season. The holland shot in shootout was idiotic. Also polak and hunwick together, really? Reminds me when carlyle was in love with kostka. He'd play him come hell or high water.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
It's crazy how Babs gets so much love here, he is soooooooooo overated. If it was Carlyle or Ron Wilson playing these lines and giving some scrub top mins everyone would have gone crazy. Nah, its Babs tho best winning coach in the world with god mode team Canada and fully stack Detriot team.

We've been the 5th best possession team in the league so far. Babcock is still a massive upgrade over Carlyle. He's definitely not perfect though and deserves a share of the blame for these blown leads.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Marner is great, ballzak and jvr can't keep up with him. Look how many times marner would pass perfectly to either of them and they would completely blow it. JVR is decent but bozak is just bad. They should put marner with kadri.

Bozak looked great tonight, and Marner's missed opportunities as well, as all players do. It's 5 games into the season, players are still learning things, shaking off rust, and gaining chemistry.

-

With regards to Babcock's choices towards the end of the game, I think it's to shelter the kids a bit. For all the fear of developing a "losing culture", I'm surprised it's not more obvious that Babcock doesn't want his young, developing players to have to worry about carrying the burden of tough losses on a consistent basis.

Before the season started, the consensus seemed to be that we were a young team that was going to have talent, but would stumble based on inexperience, and would likely struggle to compete while we learned and grew. And if that were the case, then maybe people would be more accepting of the losses. But it's not. We're very competitive. We're putting up points, and we're playing exciting hockey, and our kids are fitting in without missing a beat - dominating even. And so now hopes are high, at least on a game-to-game basis. Now that original expectation of being an inexperienced, stumbling team is almost forgotten, and we see what's possible, how good we can potentially be. And because of that, the losses hurt now. It's not about finding another Matthews this year, we want to see these guys succeed now that they're up in the show and looking good.

My point is that people accepted the first loss because Matthews was outstanding and blew peoples' minds with his performance, and it was the first time watching our exciting new team play together as a whole. But we all knew that the young players weren't going to be able to put up historical outings every night. And even despite his record-setting debut, Matthews still blamed himself for their loss, and took it really hard. And yes, it's a sign of maturity, and yes, I'm sure Babcock was thrilled to see him show that kind of leadership after such a remarkable game, but the whole focus throughout the entire Shanahan/Babcock era so far has been about protecting the kids and giving them a safe place to grow and develop.

Right now, people are pissed at Babcock, Andersen, and the vets. And, with the exception of Andersen, that's exactly how he wants it. He wants all of the pressure, all of the disappointment, all of the pain of this season, to be directed towards that group. Because they can handle it. Actually, now that I think about it, they're all kinda like Batman at the end of The Dark Knight :sarcasm: Seriously, though, that's part of their purpose. To be here to play the hardest minutes and shoulder the weight of the losses so that the kids can play their first games without having to deal with that.

Eventually, Babcock will let slip the dogs of war and play these guys in all situations. We'll possibly (probably) even win more once that happens. But in the very first game, he tried it, and Matthews showed exactly what Babcock wants to avoid - that burden of responsibility in a hockey market like ours - at least in the early days of these kids' careers. I think it was around the 40-to-50-game mark last year that Babcock took Rielly's training wheels off. I expect about the same with this year's rookies.

Holland, on the other hand, there isn't much excuse for, even with his past numbers. Not letting Nylander shoot was criminal.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
The way a select few are criticizing Babcock's decision to go with Polak/Hunwick to protect a lead are acting like he sat Keith and Doughty to do so. The fact is Leafs have slim pickings on defense and lack that shutdown dman that can clear the front of the net. Neither Reilly/Gardiner are capable of that it seems.

Last edited:

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I totally agree. I'm starting to think Babcock is overrated.

I am getting sick of Babcock already.

Babs isn't too happy with you fellas right now.

babacock1.gif

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Reading this thread you might think the blown Leafs are exactly what Leafs nation deserves. Ridiculous.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I have a feeling if Marner shot (from that bad angle) and missed, you'd be the first one on here talking about how he needs to learn not to be selfish, how wins are important, etc.

Bad angle? He was in a prime scoring spot.

:laugh: at that being a bad angle. Just go back in the gamethread and the minute that play happened the entire thread exploded with people saying Marner needs to shoot that.

SnazzyNazzy

Oct 20, 2012
Waterloo
why the **** did komarov play on 3v3. He's been terrible since the beginning of the season. The holland shot in shootout was idiotic. Also polak and hunwick together, really? Reminds me when carlyle was in love with kostka. He'd play him come hell or high water.

Embarrassing opinions like these illustrate the true lack of patience a lot of fans have.

SnazzyNazzy

Oct 20, 2012
Waterloo
It's crazy how Babs gets so much love here, he is soooooooooo overated. If it was Carlyle or Ron Wilson playing these lines and giving some scrub top mins everyone would have gone crazy. Nah, its Babs tho best winning coach in the world with god mode team Canada and fully stack Detriot team.

Just quoting some of these insane comments. :laugh: Do you, guys

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
both polak ad hunwick played over 22mins this game..... hunwick even left for several minutes for concussion protocol....
the hot line of nylander and matthews didnt play much either, just over 14 for willy and just over 15 for matthews..

Thats Babs for you...

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
He does make good points. It seems after 2 years now he still doesn't know that JVR and Bozak are a liability defensively. One minute left in the game up by one and you put Bozak with JVR on the ice....... Our weakest defensive Center and Winger......... then in overtime you put JVR back out there instead of the kids????? JVR who losses coverage on 5 on 5 your gonna trust 3 on 3?????? Then letting Holland take the first shot in the shootout????? our fourth line plug????? We tried to give him away and we couldn't. Instead of Nylander who scored two goals? Chicago put there best offensive weapons on the shootout and we counter with holland....

Just sit and think about it. Leafs lead 4-2 with 2 minutes left and end up losing 5-4. :shakehead

Babcock blames vets but I put some blame on Babcock for trusting them so often after getting burned by them time and time again.

When Nylander and Mathews only get one shift in OT 3 on 3 when they had been dangerous all night.... I'm in lost of words.

At the end of the day. if the fans sitting at home know putting bozak and jvr on the ice in the last minute wen trying to defend a one goal lead is a bad idea amongst everything else, why can't our coach see it?

Babcock likes to give players enough rope to hang themselves. Once he switches to the youngsters permanently, they can't complain about never getting a chance. Also have to boost their value enough to move them at the deadline.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Trade JVR for something while he still has value, maybe Fowler from the ducks?

Kick the tyres on Trouba, if it takes gards plus then do it, we need to straighten out this defence if we insist on keeping your Hunwicks and Polaks play them where they belong, on the third pairing

We have guys in the system who can replace JVR, I'd probably send Bozie packing too, he was good last year but this year he's been terribad

And what the hell is up with Komorov, guys invisible, seemingly does nothing, ok he's alright defensively but where's the hitting machine we all know and love

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Trade JVR for something while he still has value, maybe Fowler from the ducks?

Kick the tyres on Trouba, if it takes gards plus then do it, we need to straighten out this defence if we insist on keeping your Hunwicks and Polaks play them where they belong, on the third pairing

We have guys in the system who can replace JVR, I'd probably send Bozie packing too, he was good last year but this year he's been terribad

And what the hell is up with Komorov, guys invisible, seemingly does nothing, ok he's alright defensively but where's the hitting machine we all know and love

Almost the entire veteran group think its still preseason.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
People in this thread are ****ing ridiculous.

Its a young team. And they are low on confidence right now with holding leads. They will get over this.

Maybe holland showed some skills in practice on penalty shots? You dont know. I dont know. As far as babcock being over rated? What the ****? For starters he brings instant credibility and respect. He sorrounds himself with talented coaches. Players like playing for him. He just won the world cup. And theres nobody else even remotely close to his calibre to replace him with.

Have patience. This year is more about getting the kids experience. Its not about winning or losing.

I know its frusturating, but the kids need to learn to play with a lead in the nhl. They will get it. Revel in the fact that the kids are scoring in the nhl. And scoring allot. Its fun.

Relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad