You are officially in charge of NHL's top 50 player list going into next season - who do you have #2, assuming McDavid is #1?

If McDavid ranks #1 - who do rank #2 in a top 50 list going into next season?

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
How is Mackinnon winning the poll???

It's pretty clearly Makar and frankly I don't even know how it's even debatable.

MacKinnon has been the better player the past two regular seasons, significantly so this year. Makar had a better playoffs this year, but neither were good in the second round anyway

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I am genuinely surprised Makar is not the clear #2 so far.

Outside of 21/22 he's never been the second best player in the league. Still a top 5 player, but #2 is a stretch since the other 4 in the top 5 are all (probably) recent Hart Trophy and Lindsay winners.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Outside of 21/22 he's never been the second best player in the league. Still a top 5 player, but #2 is a stretch since the other 4 in the top 5 are all (probably) recent Hart Trophy and Lindsay winners.
I disagree. I think people get hooked on point totals and D get forgotten about a little bit. I don't think anyone impacts the game more than him but McJesus on a consistent basis

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
McDavid
MacKinnon
Kucherov
Draisaitl
Makar
Matthews

tbh, apart from McDavid, there isn't really a wrong answer here, they're all fairly close, and who you prefer comes down to what skill set you prioritize, more than anything else. It's not like the question is "rank the best players on the Oilers," where after McDavid, any answer other than Draisaitl is either a troll job or idiocy.

Reactions: I am not exposed

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
When factoring in everything it's between Mackinnon, Draisaitl, Kucherov & Makar. I think I'd actually go with Makar if he returns back to his old self like he did in the playoffs next year. Playoffs have definitely removed Matthews from the 2nd tier afaic if we're ranking these guys not just for the regular season.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Are people adding Matthews/Barkov as a 6th to be polite?

There is clearly a tier of players at/just below McDavid and he's not in it.

Draisatl
Mackinnon
Makar
Kucherov

Then you have the group with

Tkachuk
Matthews
Barkov
etc.

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
If you want to win playoff games it is Draisatl.

If you want to win regular season games its probably someone better.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
If we’re talking about pure ability to impact games and nothing else, I’m actually taking Makar. Wish his health was a little less spotty because it’s tarnishing his perception, IMO. I love Mack, I like Drai a lot and I think Kuch is pretty nasty, but I actually think Makar is the second biggest difference maker and second most dynamic in the league. The way I look at it, even forgetting age, is that if the Avs traded Makar for Drai, Kuch, Matthews, etc. they are likely worse next year, where as I think all of those teams would be, at worst, just as good after the trade.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Barkov being mentioned in this thread makes him the most overrated player in the league, he's not a top 15 player in the league and he's not even the best player on his own team

McDavid
Mack
Makar
Drai
Matthews
Kucherov
Pasta
Panarin

Are pretty clearly the top 8 and in that order imo

Are people adding Matthews/Barkov as a 6th to be polite?

There is clearly a tier of players at/just below McDavid and he's not in it.

Draisatl
Mackinnon
Makar
Kucherov

Then you have the group with

Tkachuk
Matthews
Barkov
etc.
In Stanley Cup Finals?

Drai and McDavid < Barkov.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Only an absolute casual judges Barkov’s impact on the game by his points.

Only an absolute hipster judges Barkov's impact on the game.. You know where I'm going. In a short final series you need your first line center to score. That's it. Otherwise it looks like against the Knights.

• Haha
Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I voted Makar and am posting about it now.

I am amused that at this moment, Makar has only 8 out of 107 votes, but is the first name on 6 of 13 replies. Seems Makar backers are disproportionately more vocal than Makar opposers.
That's generally how things go. When people know they are the majority they don't feel the need to explain their reasons, the minority does

PM88RU

Dec 24, 2020
Moscow, Russia
Some put him further than 5th, and that's 100a and 144 points guy we're talking about!
Just ridiculous, nothing more to say.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Draisaitl is obviously at another tier but I don't understand the flack Matthews gets for playoffs. Over a point per game the last 3 years and was playing very well before he got scurvy or whatever the hell was ailing him this year
Yeah Matthews playoff performances are getting pretty underrated here, he was the best player on the ice for either team in the Colombus series and both Tampa series.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Nearly impossible list to do properly. But, here is my quick crack at a top 50.

1Connor McDavid
2Nathan MacKinnon
3Cale Makar
4Auston Matthews
5Leon Draisaitl
6Nikita Kucherov
7Sidney Crosby (#1 in my heart)
8Quinn Hughes
9Sasha Barkov
10Roman Josi
11Victor Hedman
12Artemi Panarin
13David Pasternak
14Miro Heiskanen
15Jack Eichel
16Jack Hughes
17Adam Fox
18Kirill Kaprizov
19Mikko Rantanen
20Charlie McAvoy
21JT Miller
22Matthew Tkachuk
23William Nylander
24Anze Kopitar
25Rasmus Dahlin
26Brayden Point
27Sebastian Aho
28Elias Pettersson
29Kyle Connor
30Mitch Marner
31Josh Morrissey
32Steven Stamkos
33Jaccob Slavin
34Dylan Larkin
35Alex Pietrangelo
36Filip Forsberg
37Sam Reinhart
38Nick Suzuki
39Robert Thomas
40Brady Tkachuk
41Matthew Barzal
42Evan Bouchard
43Mika Zibanejad
44Tim Stützle
45Travis Konecny
46Noah Dobson
47Evgeni Malkin
48Jesper Bratt
49Jake Guentzel
50Devon Toews

Probably a bad list with not enough defenseman.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad