Value of: Yegor Chinakhov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

Agent says Yegor Chinakhov ‘unhappy’ with Columbus Blue Jackets, considering trade request​

Capping it with a wicked wrister to beat goalie Linus Ullmark, the third-year Russian winger’s skill was clear as day. It was only his second goal, and according to his agent, Shumi Babaev, the Jackets’ first-round pick in the 2020 NHL draft isn’t happy playing a fourth-line role.
“He doesn’t feel they trust him, and he wants to leave,” Babaev said via text message. “They don’t understand how bad ‘Chinny’ feels.”

Chinakhov did get to play with Voronkov and Cole Sillinger after a line shakeup by coach Pascal Vincent and they had an outstanding night. The Blue Jackets outscored the Bruins 3-0 during the 8:06 of 5-on-5 time that line logged together. He's playing on a one-year, one-way contract signed in April that's worth $800,000 and ends July 1, when Chinakhov can become a restricted free agent with arbitration rights.
Babaev said he expressed Chinakhov’s concerns to Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen about 10 days ago, but no trade request has been made yet.

Kekalainen declined to comment.

My analysis of Chinakhov as a player: Goal-scoring winger with decent hockey IQ whose excellent straight line speed is a great weapon in transition, PP and on the backcheck. Deceptive and insanely hard wrist shot but struggles to hit the net at times and isn't very consistent at putting pucks quickly into a shooting position due to average-to-below-average stickhandling skills. Because of that and lack of strength, he tends to lose pucks rather easily in high traffic areas and isn't very effective at getting to the interior.

There's definitely potential in him to be a useful top-9 winger somewhere in the league. I kind of think of him as a discount Gaborik. but imo he needs to be in positions where his strengths (shot and speed in transition) are utilized. Columbus hasn't, and probably isn't going to give him much PP anytime soon, and unfortunately his linemates and CBJ's breakout system haven't been a great support for Chinakhov's transition tools to shine.

I fail to see a long-term relationship between him and the team because Jackets already seem to have enough of potentially high-scoring wingers with more versatile toolset than what Chinakhov has to offer. I have hoped for a while that Jackets would put him in a position where he'd have best chance to produce and showcase his skills, and thus raise his value, but with the surplus they have at forward, it seems unlikely anything like that will be happening. I think some veterans would need to be moved or get injured for him to move up in the lineup.

Anyhow, if he's "unhappy" in Columbus, and we assume he's done most of his growing as a player and continues to play on a similar role he currently plays in, his trade value can only go down from here as he ages, which means it wouldn't make a lot of sense to keep him beyond this season.

So which teams could be interested? I don't know what CBJ would be asking, but I'd be looking at solid defensive D prospects, middle-six Cs with good faceoff skills, two-way C prospects, goalie prospects or just picks.

Last edited:

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If you have a young Russian player who’s unhappy, expect more of this. The Fedotov saga has not been good news for teams with Russian prospects. They now know, they can just pick up and leave and the KHL will welcome them with open arms.

Remember, the Russian Government got involved, telling the IIHF that they have no jurisdiction telling a Russian citizen how he can make a living in Russia. The KHL is being nationalized and teams like Philly, Arizona, Detroit and others with big time Russian prospects, better prepare for the worst. If their prospects ever come over, it might not be for many years.

Reactions: Marioesque

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If you have a young Russian player who’s unhappy, expect more of this. The Fedotov saga has not been good news for teams with Russian prospects. They now know, they can just pick up and leave and the KHL will welcome them with open arms.

Remember, the Russian Government got involved, telling the IIHF that they have no jurisdiction telling a Russian citizen how he can make a living in Russia. The KHL is being nationalized and teams like Philly, Arizona, Detroit and others with big time Russian prospects, better prepare for the worst. If their prospects ever come over, it might not be for many years.

Probably if IIHF didn't cut FHR from international hockey... If IIHF doesn't need KHL and Russian hockey, why will KHL and Russian hockey need IIHF?

NHL is still the best league in the world by far, it still pays the most so if NHL teams want to keep players they will keep them. Problems can start when they, in typical NHL way, tell players one thing and do something totally different. If you wanna earn players' trust you gotta be honest with them.

Reactions: Gurglesons

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Last week Voronkov, this week Chinakhov, next week Marchenko.
marchenko is clearly extremely happy here, and is playing on the top line.

voronkov reiterated his desire to stay in the NHL (and columbus) yesterday.

chinakhov's situation is a bit different – he's been in and out of the lineup over the last couple years due to injuries, and is another 'developing' winger on a team that is already very wing-heavy. he's been awesome (albeit streaky) when he's been in the lineup. still young and cheap, too. just hard to see a real long-term top six spot here.

a cap-strapped team that wants to add a young speedy winger with perhaps the hardest wrist shot in the league should be jumping all over this imo.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

My analysis of Chinakhov as a player: Goal-scoring winger with decent hockey IQ whose excellent straight line speed is a great weapon in transition, PP and on the backcheck. Deceptive and insanely hard wrist shot but struggles to hit the net at times and isn't very consistent at putting pucks quickly into a shooting position due to average-to-below-average stickhandling skills. Because of that and lack of strength, he tends to lose pucks rather easily in high traffic areas and isn't very effective at getting to the interior.

There's definitely potential in him to be a useful top-9 winger somewhere in the league. I kind of think of him as a discount Gaborik. but imo he needs to be in positions where his strengths (shot and speed in transition) are utilized. Columbus hasn't, and probably isn't going to give him much PP anytime soon, and unfortunately his linemates and CBJ's breakout system haven't been a great support for Chinakhov's transition tools to shine.

I fail to see a long-term relationship between him and the team because Jackets already seem to have enough of potentially high-scoring wingers with more versatile toolset than what Chinakhov has to offer. I have hoped for a while that Jackets would put him in a position where he'd have best chance to produce and showcase his skills, and thus raise his value, but with the surplus they have at forward, it seems unlikely anything like that will be happening. I think some veterans would need to be moved or get injured for him to move up in the lineup.

Anyhow, if he's "unhappy" in Columbus, and we assume he's done most of his growing as a player and continues to play on a similar role he currently plays in, his trade value can only go down from here as he ages, which means it wouldn't make a lot of sense to keep him beyond this season.

So which teams could be interested? I don't know what CBJ would be asking, but I'd be looking at solid defensive D prospects, middle-six Cs with good faceoff skills, two-way C prospects, goalie prospects or just picks.

Sounds like Avs can pick up another burakovsky here.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
marchenko is clearly extremely happy here, and is playing on the top line.

voronkov reiterated his desire to stay in the NHL (and columbus) yesterday.

chinakhov's situation is a bit different – he's been in and out of the lineup over the last couple years due to injuries, and is another 'developing' winger on a team that is already very wing-heavy. he's been awesome (albeit streaky) when he's been in the lineup. still young and cheap, too. just hard to see a real long-term top six spot here.

a cap-strapped team that wants to add a young speedy winger with perhaps the hardest wrist shot in the league should be jumping all over this imo.
What do the Jackets need?

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
kinda tough to say. they could stand to improve down the middle (although that's not nearly as much of a concern as it's been in the past), so like a right handed #3 center would be nice. a third pair LD upgrade over bean would also be good. could also look to add a veteran wing with some grit.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Columbus is in such a weird spot.

Feel like the whole top 9 are NHL caliber players, but there's only so much ice-time to go around for them to continue to develop. Feel like at least one of Texier or Chinakhov will be gone by the TDL... and that's without even mentioning Johnson stewing in the AHL.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Feel like the whole top 9 are NHL caliber players, but there's only so much ice-time to go around for them to continue to develop. Feel like at least one of Texier or Chinakhov will be gone by the TDL... and that's without even mentioning Johnson stewing in the AHL.
They also have a log jam on defense.

I think they've been trying to move a few bodies out but nobody has space right now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Draft picks only.

kinda tough to say. they could stand to improve down the middle (although that's not nearly as much of a concern as it's been in the past), so like a right handed #3 center would be nice. a third pair LD upgrade over bean would also be good. could also look to add a veteran wing with some grit.

Unless you're also shipping out Sillinger/Kuraly or Bean then that trade doesn't make sense.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Id probably place a good bet Texier stays. Chinakhov is a weird one. Yeah his line isnt the best but a player can control what he does so he needs to find some consistency to his game and that doesnt just mean scoring. Oppurtunity is what you make it and he has to look no furthur than our "4th line" this year

Reactions: majormajor

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The New York Rangers offer a 2025 5th round pick. I don't think he'd get more at this stage.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I'd be very happy to target him as an AZ fan. If we can make a deal like we did for Durzi I think he'd be awesome here. We don't have a ton of room on the wings but I'm sure he'd be able to get PP time and probably play up and down the lineup and/or force Crouse down the lineup. He'd be lethal with MM. We should be all over this if we can get him for a bargain.

Reactions: Napoli

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
He is doing a good job of forcing the team to play him with 2g in 2 games
Chinny and Voro could become quite the duo. They seem to really enjoy playing on the same line and they are showing instant chemistry. Silly has also done a pretty good job of keeping up as well.

Reactions: Fro

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
It’d be a terrible mistake for Columbus to trade him, he’s been playing better and better recently, scored a goal tonight and should’ve scored another one on a tic tac toe

Last edited:
Reactions: Napoli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad